• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This maybe Haas moment, Grobe is banging on Wake, what thread is this in?

goolsby and socal are locked in an epic battle for thread starting immortality

He misses the one-on-one experience as a position coach.

Eh ?

Grobe wasn't a 'coach' of anything at Wake. Did he 'coach' something at Ohio ?

I'm sorry but Grobe is making himself sound like a whiner here. The school installed a $1 MILLION FieldTurf practice field, installed it ( $1 MILLION ) at Grove's, built $43 MILLION Deacon Tower , erected maybe the best $3 MILLION Video Board in the country, added a $180,000 ribbon scoreboard on Bridger plus upgraded all the salaries for his assistants. Some of these improvements were done DESPITE the school losing millions in it's endowment during the worst recession this country has experienced in over 75 years.

This article has given my respect for Jim Grobe a severe blow.

Eh ?

Grobe wasn't a 'coach' of anything at Wake. Did he 'coach' something at Ohio ?

I'm sorry but Grobe is making himself sound like a whiner here. The school installed a $1 MILLION FieldTurf practice field, installed it ( $1 MILLION ) at Grove's, built $43 MILLION Deacon Tower , erected maybe the best $3 MILLION Video Board in the country, added a $180,000 ribbon scoreboard on Bridger plus upgraded all the salaries for his assistants. Some of these improvements were done DESPITE the school losing millions in it's endowment during the worst recession this country has experienced in over 75 years.

This article has given my respect for Jim Grobe a severe blow.

my thoughts exactly, what more could he have wanted? there's really no need for an indoor practice field in Winston Salem...

It wasn't the facilities that lost the GT games in '09 and '10. It wasn't the weight room that lost us the Miami games in '08 and '09. It wasn't the meeting rooms that blew 6 leads in '11. What was it that gave us loses against BC and ULM this year, the training table?

Last edited:
Weights weigh the same no matter what room they're in. Pretty sure that's a sentiment an earlier, less grumpy, more fiery Grobe would have had.

I wonder what he thinks about his own piss-poor recruiting and crap offense? I'll admit that Wake's admin is LOWF as hell, but he was in a position to do something about it, and never did a thing. Did he ever believe Wake could just recruit itself? You have to do it with superior coaching, something his offense would never have with Lobo.

This just made it over here? Been on TOB for over a week.

The consensus there seems to be that weight room, internal practice facility, and sub par locker room issues are the facility issues, and maybe the partial qualifier restrictions the internal policy issue he raised recently. That could all limit recruiting. IMO...we spent a lot of money on upgrades...and just couldn't do it all immediately. I read somewhere upgrades are part of the Clawson package yes?

But...we also squandered a lot of momentum and the coaches didn't use the talent as well as they had previously. It was obvious to the fans that complacency had set in and Grobe is now admitting it. That's really disappointing..that he knew it.

What I still don't understand is...higher expectations should be driving recruiting but here he seems to be saying that high expectations aren't good for Wake...but we need facilities upgrades to drive recruiting. Which is it? Is he saying we had to have state of the art to meet the higher expectations of winning? Nothing but an excuse IMO.

He is acting like the facilities are Grambling level bad.

Its Christmas, I hadn't been on the board, someone sent me the article. I was just asking what thread it was discussed in, I was curious what the response is. Not trying to start any static.

"...but at some point, the school needed to step up..."

So Grobe is now trolling Ron Wellman?? What the hell is THIS? I never expected this kind of excuse making after the fact from Jim. He's too classy for this right? What is the point of complaining about it now? Not that he has a valid argument (see HONDO2's post). Somewhere along the line, Grobe lost his fire and his passion. Or he deferred so greatly to his coaching staff that it weakened him as a leader.

Deacon Tower was supposedly the "House that Grobe Built" and now he wants to complain about the inadequacies of the weight room?? Really?

SDeacz had a good post about facilities, not sure what thread, but it was enlightening. Sounded like weight rooms definitely needed work.

Still reads like sour grapes from Grobe. I would hate for their to be bad blood over shit like this. I want to remember his time here fondly, and I would hope he does the same.

Weights weigh the same no matter what room they're in. Pretty sure that's a sentiment an earlier, less grumpy, more fiery Grobe would have had.

Good point. Too bad 17 and 18 year old kids who are really good at football don't agree.

There was plenty of discussion about this in reaction to his comments on the radio and other press. Definitely agree that SDeacz comments are important.

Our players were strong enough in 2006-2009 were they not? I don't buy this weight room crap as an excuse.

Hell, Grobe could have given up a couple hundred grand in salary every year to finance a weight room expansion next to Bridger. But then I guess that would have pissed off Don Flow and his dream of a US Open tune up.

They could have just taken some space from the old Whitaker plant of RJR and added a few hundred thousand dollars in weights! Something isn't adding up here.

Did we not have a change in S&C coach a few years ago that many here have postulated affected our team negatively over the last several seasons??

Yeah. He got paid over $2M a year. That's plenty of support.

Without digging up SDeacz's posts, he also said the new weight room or any upgrades should be on campus, close to the practice facilities. Busing back and forth between campus and any practice facilities sucks for the players.

Back