• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This maybe Haas moment, Grobe is banging on Wake, what thread is this in?

Yeah. Paid it, too. Vanderbilt isn't going to a BCS bowl this year....or anytime soon. They also aren't going to win 8-9 games every year. People who are expecting Wake Forest to win 8-9 games every year and go to a BCS bowl "a couple of times a decade"...if serious...are completely fucked in the had, and there is no reason to even discuss the matter with them.

Then why even compete Bob? Lets just go to the SoCon and be done with it.

Yeah. Paid it, too. Vanderbilt isn't going to a BCS bowl this year....or anytime soon. They also aren't going to win 8-9 games every year. People who are expecting Wake Forest to win 8-9 games every year and go to a BCS bowl "a couple of times a decade"...if serious...are completely fucked in the had, and there is no reason to even discuss the matter with them.

Thing is, this was pretty much a rebuilding year for Franklin and Vandy, and they won 8 (and may win 9 if they win their bowl). If Clawson wins 8 next year Wake fans would be beside themselves and rightfully so.

Grobe wanted the Army job. Are they competing in the facilities arms race? He says he wants his next opportunity to be a "level playing field," then asks for Army job? Does not add up.

Twice in the last four years he has to scrap his offense after September. He apologizes for under-utilizing players who have NFL careers. His nepotism for Lobo despite his obvious incompetence is well known. His best players were low in the depth chart, and got opportunities only due to injuries. I can't imagine an AD who would think hiring Grobo would be good for their school. If he's trying to position himself for another head coaching job, he should just stop. It's over. You had a nice run, and thanks for the Orange Bowl. Wave your little hat, and walk off into the sunset. Slinging mud now will only cause us to sling it back.

Where articles like these allow comments, someone should link the NC State postgame press conference where he praised his AD for a solid minute without reservation.

Last edited:

not that your opinion on anything sports related really holds much water, but LOWF LOWF LOWF LOWF LOWF

I was frustrated by the end of Grobe but am ready for Franklin to stay at Vandy a little too long and miss his window.

With all due respect to Grobe, who was/is basically a decent guy, he went on cruise control after he got the 10 year/$2.5 million contract. No question about it. All the crap we used to read on here constantly about how "Grobe still has that competitive fire and hates losing and is working day and night to turn it around" was just that, crap. Grobe was cruising, and the proof was that he refused to make obvious staff changes, i.e., Lobo.

Over the past 5 years, Grobe was overpaid by at least $5 million. That would have easily built one of the best weight rooms in the ACC. Wake should never again try to compete on salary with SEC-type programs for a football coach. If Clawson has two or three great years and a Tennessee or Arkansas offers $3 or $4 million a year, let him go and find another hot young coach hungry to make a name for himself. We need to sink our football revenues into upgrading infrastructure and not into grossly overpaying for a head coach.

I was frustrated by the end of Grobe but am ready for Franklin to stay at Vandy a little too long and miss his window.

Now that Vandy is almost off the schedule, I'll be rooting for them to do as well as possible. The better Vandy does in the SEC, the less of an excuse the LOWF crowd can have.

I could be wrong, as I am not around the football program a lot, but what I have heard is that Grobe wasn't complaining so much about facilities as he was academics...that the "level playing field" he was referring to was in in regards to exceptions/academic policy etc. compared to other ACC schools. This has been a heavy recruiting issue and was only made worse and more urgent from the coaching and recruiting standpoint with ACC expansion.

I think Grobe wanted and asked for more exceptions and more academic support from the AD AND the university and he never got it.

I could be wrong, as I am not around the football program a lot, but what I have heard is that Grobe wasn't complaining so much about facilities as he was academics...that the "level playing field" he was referring to was in in regards to exceptions/academic policy etc. compared to other ACC schools. This has been a heavy recruiting issue and was only made worse and more urgent from the coaching and recruiting standpoint with ACC expansion.

I think Grobe wanted and asked for more exceptions and more academic support from the AD AND the university and he never got it.

Grobe seems to be having problems keeping the non-exceptions on the team for whatever reason.

Grobe wanted the Army job. Are they competing in the facilities arms race? He says he wants his next opportunity to be a "level playing field," then asks for Army job? Does not add up.
Where articles like these allow comments, someone should link the NC State postgame press conference where he praised his AD for a solid minute without reservation.

Grobe did some great things for Wake - but these last areas represents an area of confusion and are thoughts inconsistent with his reputation for fairness and straight talk. He overly and suspiciously praises RW as an AD and then a few weeks later turns 180 on him with the comments of lack of support. If in these past 5 years, support things were going so downhill, could he not begin to get that info out somehow? Even beyond Ron, unless RW really had him buttoned-up. Maybe he was conflicted on how those would have been viewed vs. his reluctance to make some obvious needed personnel changes. If he wants another job, his public tossing RW under the bus would not play too well with that audience. Better to relay those to a potential new employer in private. And if Wakes now does make these changes, to comment later, he could have really used those.

From what I have heard Grobe has actually gobbled up more of the annual exceptions than ever the last few years to keep pace and he has preference over other sports.

Seeing as we could rarely (if ever) beat Stanford, Vandy, and even Duke head to head for recruits the last few years, I am not sure I really buy the academic thing either. Yeah, I get it that Wake has to recruit from a smaller pool than UNC, FSU, Clemson, etc; however, it seems that we keep losing out on the guys in "our pool". Five or so years ago, we rarely lost a recruit to Vandy and Duke, and Stanford was a non-player. Now those schools (esp Stanford and Vandy) have raised their recruiting game, and Wake seems to be the loser in that game. It sounds like the new staff is determined to change that.

LOL. Do you think there is a scenerio where WF (or Vanderbilt) can "win 8-9 games every year and go to a BCS bowl game a couple of times a decade", Townie?

If your answer is "yes", it takes one hell of a nerve to say that my opinion on sports doesn't hold water. LOL......a million times.

BKF 101: Create strawman. Ruin thread by attacking ad nauseum.

Damn, Brasky. Wake Forest started playing football on a yearly basis in 1908. In the 98 years from then to the 2006 Orange Bowl season, Wake Forest won 8 games exactly three times: 1944, 1979 & 1992. They never won 9 games during those 98 years. Grobe then won 8+ three straight years....and we haven't won eight games since.

I'm not saying that we can't do better than we've done in the last five years....but talking about winning 8-9 games every year and going to a BCS game a couple of times each decade is just flat-out insane. It ain't gonna happen....ever....no matter who is coaching nor how much money is poured into the facilities. Talk like that adds nothing whatsoever to any serious discussion about Wake Forest football.

In the 91 years prior to hiring Lou Holtz South Carolina won 8+ games 6 times. In the 15 seasons since then (including 9 under spurrier) they have won 8+ 7 times.

Prior to losing to us in the 1992 Independence Bowl Oregon had won 8+ games 7 times and been to 1 Rose Bowl since 1919. In the 21 years since they have won 8+ games 15 times, been to 6 BCS level games and won 10+ games 9 times. Something they had never done prior to 2000.

Seeing as we could rarely (if ever) beat Stanford, Vandy, and even Duke head to head for recruits the last few years, I am not sure I really buy the academic thing either. Yeah, I get it that Wake has to recruit from a smaller pool than UNC, FSU, Clemson, etc; however, it seems that we keep losing out on the guys in "our pool". Five or so years ago, we rarely lost a recruit to Vandy and Duke, and Stanford was a non-player. Now those schools (esp Stanford and Vandy) have raised their recruiting game, and Wake seems to be the loser in that game. It sounds like the new staff is determined to change that.

??? Just repeating what I was told, but I do understand (somewhat) what he was saying in regards to academic support and a level playing field. Not that his statements justify the last 5 years, because they don't. Coaching at Wake is more difficult than coaching at UNC , State, dook, etc for a lot of reasons, but Grobe proved Wake could compete and he was being paid well to win. I do know that many coaches (head and assistant) at Wake have said Wake Forest University is our biggest enemy...like we operate under our own personal sanctions.

I didn't create anything. I quoted Childress07....directly. And I was the one who got attacked....for telling the truth.

Alabama fans want to win a national championship every year. A reasonable goal for that program is to win a national championship every year. Rational Alabama fans (i've been told they exist) understand that they aren't going to win a national championship every year.

This doesn't make the wants of the fans or the goals of the program unreasonable.

With all due respect to Grobe, who was/is basically a decent guy, he went on cruise control after he got the 10 year/$2.5 million contract. No question about it. All the crap we used to read on here constantly about how "Grobe still has that competitive fire and hates losing and is working day and night to turn it around" was just that, crap. Grobe was cruising, and the proof was that he refused to make obvious staff changes, i.e., Lobo.

Over the past 5 years, Grobe was overpaid by at least $5 million. That would have easily built one of the best weight rooms in the ACC. Wake should never again try to compete on salary with SEC-type programs for a football coach. If Clawson has two or three great years and a Tennessee or Arkansas offers $3 or $4 million a year, let him go and find another hot young coach hungry to make a name for himself. We need to sink our football revenues into upgrading infrastructure and not into grossly overpaying for a head coach.

The bold kills me: all respect due for what exactly? This guy basically fleeced the university out of $13 million dollars to not recruit at a high level, to not win, and to not fulfill his job description at, even an average level. Respect due for what? Four good seasons in 13? He brought the program to unprecedented heights, but he also crashed it back into the ground by clearly caring less while getting paid more than any employee at Wake for the favor.

Clawson did more for this program in one press conference than Grobe did the past five years. Respect is anything, but due, IMO.

so LOWF, bob

you see barriers/obstacles, i see opportunities

our academics should be a plus

so should playing in the acc and having a great campus

such a small minded mentality that we should lower our benchmarks

academics and athletics should be a feedback loop; it works at plenty of schools

Back