• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This maybe Haas moment, Grobe is banging on Wake, what thread is this in?

Good point. Too bad 17 and 18 year old kids who are really good at football don't agree.

I think there are certain things you sell kids on and certain things you sell parents on. I think we can, should, and will improve our weight facilities. I don't think it should be used as an excuse.

I've yet to catch up on all commentary, but could it be that Grobie asked for certain investments from Ron but couldn't get them? And now he's hearing that Clawson IS getting some of those upgrade commitments, right out of the gate, and it's bruising his pride?

The only legit complaints would be if Ron agreed to things when Grobe signed his 10 year deal and never followed through.

In the last couple of years the school bought a baseball stadium and fixed it up, and the Joel. That's probably why the football stuff has been neglected, but will be taken care of now with all the bowl money coming in. Eleven teams in games, two in BCS games.

Without digging up SDeacz's posts, he also said the new weight room or any upgrades should be on campus, close to the practice facilities. Busing back and forth between campus and any practice facilities sucks for the players.

Yes, it does, but I doubt that resulted in 5 straight losing seasons. Jim, just ride into the sunset gracefully and rich. You did a great job, no need to ruin it in retirement.

Also, why bring it up now? Why not say something publicly when you were in charge, and were still riding the wave of goodwill from 2006, if it was needed so badly?

Oh that's right you were more than aware that you were criminally overpaid, and didn't want to do anything to upset Ron and his fat cats.

This is some pretty weak shit Jim.

Our players were strong enough in 2006-2009 were they not? I don't buy this weight room crap as an excuse.

Hell, Grobe could have given up a couple hundred grand in salary every year to finance a weight room expansion next to Bridger. But then I guess that would have pissed off Don Flow and his dream of a US Open tune up.

They could have just taken some space from the old Whitaker plant of RJR and added a few hundred thousand dollars in weights! Something isn't adding up here.

Did we not have a change in S&C coach a few years ago that many here have postulated affected our team negatively over the last several seasons??

This statement pretty much proves Grobe's point. Innovative coaching, 3 stars developing into 5 stars, and luck is not a formula for long term, high-level success. At some point if you want to win 8-9 games every year and go to a BCS bowl a couple of times a decade you have to upgrade your facilities, upgrade your recruiting, and upgrade your coaching.

The last one is on Grobe. The first one is a valid complaint on Grobe's part, and the middle one is reflection of the other two. Hopefully Clawson and Co. will be an upgrade over the last five years, hopefully he was able to secure the facility upgrades we need to compete, and hopefully the recruiting and the product on the field reflects those upgrades.

Upgrading recruiting is one Grobe too.

The facilities story is close to a month old.

Grobe made a mistake in keeping Lobo for so long. But it sounds like he didn't really buy in to the idea that the Orange Bowl was a one on a lifetime thing like the athletic department did.

I posted some things I heard when the news broke, but essentially Grobe didn't feel that Wellman took care of Wake Football like he should have. Maybe Grobe could have taken pay cut and said put that towards facilities. But that wouldn't have made a difference in the long run.

We don't know what went down. Yes, we know Grobe was very well paid. But maybe there was an understanding that more would happen and it did not- and now he hears the new guy is getting a number of things he wanted. That would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Or maybe he's just trying to get some excuses out there so the next place he tries to go to doesn't hold the recent years against him. Who knows. I'm still thankful for what he did and wish him all the best.

I just wish someone in the media would point blank ask Grobe about the offensive failures the last 4-5 years and why no changes were ever made (not counting the fact that they tried to change the offensive schemes every other week). ESPN asked Clawson about Wake's offensive ineptitude, but it would be nice if someone would actually ask the person that was in charge while the offense was so bad. Most other teams had coaches that had a clue when it came to constructing, scheming, and calling plays for a competent offense; so yeah, Wake was at a huge disadvantage there. Sadly, that was an area that Grobe could have easily fixed.

The posters in this thread are showing more sour grapes than Grobe is in that interview. Don't have any problem with anything he said, especially since we all know it to be true.

In the last couple of years the school bought a baseball stadium and fixed it up, and the Joel. That's probably why the football stuff has been neglected, but will be taken care of now with all the bowl money coming in. Eleven teams in games, two in BCS games.

I'm not sure it's being honest to say that FB has been neglected. I think it's a fair criticism to discuss project priorities, but we have continued to invest in our FB program.

Meh.

I'm just not surprised that the guy who collected $2+ million (despite being "a good guy" with a working moral compass) couldn't figure out a way to, at the very least, not suck and couldn't stop making excuses/throwing his players under the bus for 10+ years is making these kinds of comments after the fact.

I lost respect for Grobe these last 4-5 years. These quotations are just icing on a cake from a guy who didn't actually deserve the blind love and trust that was heaped on him for his last three years, in particular (without results and without commanding any form of respect). Grobe is really lucky that he coached here. That's all I can say.

I think as part of the Wake will campaign they are planning a large expansion of the weight room on campus for the athletes.

This.

Facilities are a huge component of, if not the biggest component of, recruiting. Don't play dumb. I know you know this.

Of course, but coaches recruit. Facilities don't recruit by themselves.

Are you claiming the coaches were bringing 4* and 5* players to campus and only then did they decide not to come to Wake?

How many players who went on to be elite players actually visited campus and balked on Wake?

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's being honest to say that FB has been neglected. I think it's a fair criticism to discuss project priorities, but we have continued to invest in our FB program.

Yes, but a lot of it has been in "front of the house" components like the tower and scoreboard. Do they impress recruits too? Of course. But then they see the locker rooms, weight rooms, lounge and study spaces that for the most part to my knowledge have not been upgraded in 15+ years. And then they go to wherever they are set to visit next, and it's a lot nicer. That has a huge impact on recruiting. Many have mentioned the tower. Part of the deal with the tower was that it was supposed to increase revenue. Grobe had already signed his extension when the tower opened IIRC. You have that extra revenue plus all of the new TV money. Where has it gone?

Back