• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Week's Sign That the Apocolypse Is Upon Us

Actually we're relatively close to where we were with Dino two of three years (his second year not withstanding).

We need Dino back, he was such a great coach and recruiter of quality men that he has had great success coaching at_________. Oh I almost forgot, he cannot get a coaching job anywhere. Maybe he recruited scumbags that many on this board look at in a way we should have kept going in that direction. Those are probably the guys who designed that abortion of a billboard.

I have not been on this board lately, but came to troll and see what that douche bag Brian Stratton has been up to. Way a fuckcicle that guy and redsox faithful are. Have a nice day.

I think we all can agree that Bz has proven himself to be a great head coach and we're all fortunate to have him. I cannot think of a better hire other than maybe Brad Stevens. Wellman has once again shown he is the smartest guy in the room and we were wrong to ever doubt him. In Ron we trust.

The Dino/Bz thing is so colossally stupid. It's not that Bz is a good /bad fit at Wake because of how he compares to Dino. That argument misses the point. Bz is a bad fit for Wake because he cannot produce a level of success that Wake coaches throughout history have shown is attainable at Wake - from Dino to Skip to Odom (skipping Staak) to Tacy and so on. Bz just can't get us there.
The Dino/Bz bitchfest is overly simplistic and misses the point entirely.

Reactions: Ayo
I think we all can agree that Bz has proven himself to be a great head coach and we're all fortunate to have him. I cannot think of a better hire other than maybe Brad Stevens. Wellman has once again shown he is the smartest guy in the room and we were wrong to ever doubt him. In Ron we trust.

Damn! Whatever you been drinking, sure would like some! Talk about rose colored glasses...

The people who feel the need to trash our former head coach and former players in an attempt to defend the current coaching staff is the first place you can look at the source of tearing apart the Wake fanbase. Good job.

The Dino/Bz thing is so colossally stupid. It's not that Bz is a good /bad fit at Wake because of how he compares to Dino. That argument misses the point. Bz is a bad fit for Wake because he cannot produce a level of success that Wake coaches throughout history have shown is attainable at Wake - from Dino to Skip to Odom (skipping Staak) to Tacy and so on. Bz just can't get us there.
The Dino/Bz bitchfest is overly simplistic and misses the point entirely.

If it's a bad comparison then leave Dino out of historical comparisons. Whatever success he had is directly attributed to what he inherited from Skip. Dino had a six year head start, three potential lottery picks, and he still couldn't get past round one of the NCAA tourney.

Dino made it past round one of the tournament. It really is sad the degree that some in this fanbase has taken a dump on Dino when he took over the program in a really tough time after the death of his friend and mentor.

Last edited:
Dino made it past round one of the tournament. It really is sad the degree that some in this fanbase has taken a dump on Dino when he took over the program in a really tough time after the death of his friend and mentor.

This.

This administration has always been hesitant to fire coaches before their contact is over or close to it, that is outside of the decision to fire Dino for ruining the program months after giving him an extension. The fact that they were paying that buyout made Bzzz's job tenure very safe for at least 4 years.

They gave Jim Caldwell 8 years.

Last edited:

Ok. I didn't understand the rules--now I do. We will not objectively evaluate Dino as a head coach and instead appeal to emotion to give him a slide for mediocrity but we will objectively evaluate Bz because we just don't like him. I understand now. My apologies for not playing by your rules.

And sir, I was sitting on the front row tonight cheering on the Deacs because I invest and have invested my money in our players' education and not in silly Billboards schemed by someone who didn't even attend Wake. Where were you sitting tonight?

Ok. I didn't understand the rules--now I do. We will not objectively evaluate Dino as a head coach and instead appeal to emotion to give him a slide for mediocrity but we will objectively evaluate Bz because we just don't like him. I understand now. My apologies for not playing by your rules.

And sir, I was sitting on the front row tonight cheering on the Deacs because I invest and have invested my money in our players' education and not in silly Billboards schemed by someone who didn't even attend Wake. Where were you sitting tonight?

LOL.

We need Dino back, he was such a great coach and recruiter of quality men that he has had great success coaching at_________. Oh I almost forgot, he cannot get a coaching job anywhere. Maybe he recruited scumbags that many on this board look at in a way we should have kept going in that direction. Those are probably the guys who designed that abortion of a billboard.

I have not been on this board lately, but came to troll and see what that douche bag Brian Stratton has been up to. Way a fuckcicle that guy and redsox faithful are. Have a nice day.

I don't think Dino is interested in returning to coaching right now. He's got a cushy gig reporting from ESPNU's campus in Charlotte.

I thought Dino should be fired (before the shift in expectations by Wellman and his supporters) because he didn't live up to the Wake Forest standard as far as competing and winning games went.

Imagine my feelings about [Redacted] now if I didn't think that Dino was "historically competitive"

No - you evaluate Dino on his merit.

Over three years, Dino was 61-31, got to the tournament twice, and won a game.

He inherited three of the best classes in Wake history (2007, 2008 and 2009) and had to re-recruit 2008, recruited a very good class historically (class of 2010), and then dropped the ball on the 50/50 class of 2011 that he shares with Buzz.

Over his first three years, Buzz was 33-59. He is 47-65 overall. He did not sniff any postseason in his first three years and looks like he'll be on the NIT bubble come March (barring winning out and a win over Duke and/or Syracuse).

He inherited the remainder of Dino's classes of 2008, 2009 and 2010, all of which contained elite HS recruits, and rounded out the miserable class of 2011. The class of 2012 measured out right around average at the time and has revealed itself as below average (Tree and Madison, for starters, are just not very good, and the book is still out on whether Dre is going to develop into an ACC-caliber reserve), and the class of 2013 is worse than the class of 2011. The class of 2014 still may be Buzz's best ever class, but remains pretty average by Wake standards.

That's pretty damn objective. You can put lipstick and a wig on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Buzz is that pig. If you like what he is, then great. If you don't, then great. But you can't argue that he is anything other than what he is.

The same goes for Dino. I would say, though, that nobody pays attention to his record, his recruiting or his accomplishments, in nearly the same way that you demand folks treat Buzz and that you're accusing others of treating Buzz.

I was sitting in my living room watching Wake play at noon on my computer in California because I grew up in Winston-Salem and got the hell out when I had the chance. #betterfanbrigade

If 61-31 is mediocre, what does that make [Redacted]? Keep in mind that even if this team gets to 18 or 19 wins, [Redacted]'s best season at Wake will still only be better than the worst season of each of the three coaches that preceded him. Has it really been worth the worst three seasons in team history to get to a point where we are not quite as good as we were previously?

Back