• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Week's Sign That the Apocolypse Is Upon Us

Once again, you are boiling this entire thing down to winning basketball games. And, again, this is the difference between your perspective at your age and the perspective of people considerably older who are charged with making decisions that include upholding the reputation of a major 180-year old university. I will repeat: Wake Forest University was not founded for the purpose of supporting a basketball program whose only goal & guideline was becoming winning basketball games, without regard for how its players were representing the University.

And like I said on the other thread, excuse me if I don't trust the opinion of a bunch of old rich white dudes as the perspective which we should all view reality.

If you don't think there was a cultural gap between their vision of what an 18-22 year old college athlete should be and what the real image of that 18-22 year old is across the board (not just at Wake) then I've got a bridge to sell you.

It's somewhat ironic given your political leanings that you're so eager and willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the very group you don't trust to do well, anything, in the business world.

Look, my whole point is that I just cannot fathom watching a Wake game and hoping we lose for any reason, especially that I don't like the coach and want another one. That places my personal thoughts and beliefs ahead of my school, and assumes my judgment is completely infallible. And it denigrates our program, and especially these kids who chose to play here and for this coach, and who apparently are good kids and work hard and are now seeing the fruits of their labor. All while many in the fanbase are pulling against them. Take a look. These guys are pretty good, and getting better. And will be better next year.

I truly don't think Bzz is the best coach for us, and Dino certainly wasn't either. Dino had no business being a head coach save for horrible circumstances. But I, obviously, cannot fathom rooting against Wake at any place or for any reason. I mean, are you rooting for Syracuse because, heaven forbid we knock off the #1 team in the country. The horror of it all..... What if we win a game or two in the ACCT and are playing Dook. Are you rooting for Dook? That is a serious question, because I have to assume some of you would. And I have problem with that.

I have no idea what will happen the rest of the way. Last week I figured the run was over, but the pieces seem to be falling together a bit, and I think we can play with most anybody when Travis is active and Devin can show he can step out and hit a 10 foot jumper. So we'll see. I can't see us beating Syracuse, but stranger things have happened. I hope the Joel is loud because if nothing else, these kids deserve it. And if you want to root against us, then I've got nothing for you.

If it's a bad comparison then leave Dino out of historical comparisons. Whatever success he had is directly attributed to what he inherited from Skip. Dino had a six year head start, three potential lottery picks, and he still couldn't get past round one of the NCAA tourney.

Don't take Wheredeac seriously.

I don't think that is being completely fair. Some of the things that happened with those players definitely made [Redacted]'s job harder than it might otherwise have been....and extended the period of time required to overcome those problems to rebuild the program. I'm not necessarily saying that it should have taken this long, but there is no doubt that [Redacted] inherited a mess. And this isn't my view. It is evidently the view of people in the Wake Forest Administration and the Board of Trustees who ultimately have the responsibility of making these decisions. The people on this chatboard are only concerned with winning basketball games. Those people have far greater responsibilities to consider.

Thats a FACT, Jack.

If I knew with absolute certainty that bzzz is gone after this year, I would be able to cherish each win by this team. As it is, tho, wins are double-edged swords. I fear RW will spin a win -- even one against a decimated team -- as proof of historical competitiveness, prompting him to offer Bzz an extension. As such, while I'm happy for the players when they win, the win itself makes my knees shake. I wish RW would cut bzzz loose now and let Battle coach out the season. THEN I could really enjoy our victories.

Last edited:
I have no idea what will happen the rest of the way. Last week I figured the run was over, but the pieces seem to be falling together a bit, and I think we can play with most anybody when they're missing a few starters. So we'll see. I can't see us beating Syracuse, but stranger things have happened. I hope the Joel is loud because if nothing else, these kids deserve it. And if you want to root against us, then I've got nothing for you.

FIFY.

Last edited:
And like I said on the other thread, excuse me if I don't trust the opinion of a bunch of old rich white dudes as the perspective which we should all view reality.

If you don't think there was a cultural gap between their vision of what an 18-22 year old college athlete should be and what the real image of that 18-22 year old is across the board (not just at Wake) then I've got a bridge to sell you.

It's somewhat ironic given your political leanings that you're so eager and willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the very group you don't trust to do well, anything, in the business world.[/

For some reason I thought you were a bit older...

One more thought...it's apparent that our fans have been more enthused these last couple of weeks on the tail of several ACC wins. What that tells me is that, if RW does bring in a decent coach who has at least some ability to relate to people, our fanbase will be right back where it needs to be.

Why do those who defend Bz feel it necessary to give their fanhood resume? It's a phenomenon that crosses over platforms, from OGB to Facebook to twitter. It's like one of the Five Stages of BzIn Reasoning or something.

Look, my whole point is that I just cannot fathom watching a Wake game and hoping we lose for any reason, especially that I don't like the coach and want another one. That places my personal thoughts and beliefs ahead of my school, and assumes my judgment is completely infallible. And it denigrates our program, and especially these kids who chose to play here and for this coach, and who apparently are good kids and work hard and are now seeing the fruits of their labor. All while many in the fanbase are pulling against them. Take a look. These guys are pretty good, and getting better. And will be better next year.

So that would make you … Ron Wellman. I'm not sure why you think he can act that way with reckless abandon (while getting paid handsomely to do so), but nobody else (especially those for which wake is their school, not just an employer) is allowed to. At least none of my money is going to pay him anymore.

If I knew with absolute certainty that bzzz is gone after this year, I would be able to cherish each win by this team. As it is, tho, wins are double-edged swords. I fear RW will spin a win -- even one against a decimated team -- as proof of historical competitiveness, prompting him to offer Bzz an extension. As such, while I'm happy for the players when they win, the win itself makes my knees shake. I wish RW would cut bzzz loose now and let Battle coach out the season. THEN I could really enjoy our victories.

This is exactly how I feel. I so badly want to cheer for us to win but I am so scared we might retain Bz if we win to many. It's like Jessie Spano on nodoz.

We need Dino back, he was such a great coach and recruiter of quality men that he has had great success coaching at_________. Oh I almost forgot, he cannot get a coaching job anywhere. Maybe he recruited scumbags that many on this board look at in a way we should have kept going in that direction. Those are probably the guys who designed that abortion of a billboard.

I have not been on this board lately, but came to troll and see what that douche bag Brian Stratton has been up to. Way a fuckcicle that guy and redsox faithful are. Have a nice day.

Who is this bitch?

Bless your heart. The team is improved no doubt but nowhere near our level of "historical competitiveness." Buzz is taking advantage of a hilariously bad ACC this year. Our 4 ACC wins are a combined 6-19 in the ACC this year.

The ACC is the fourth best conference this year. The last time it was 3rd or better was in 2010.

The ACC is the fourth best conference this year. The last time it was 3rd or better was in 2010.
The ACC is very, very top heavy. After Pitt, Cuse, Duke, Virginia, Florida State, and (maybe Clemson, although I'm not sold on them yet), the teams range from mediocre to downright awful. All I meant was that the conference severely lacks quality teams from top to bottom this year.

So about 40% of the teams are good, then there are a few mediocre teams, then there are a few bad teams. Sounds like a pretty normal ACC in the post-expansion era. This isn't the 8 or 9-team ACC anymore. The ACC isn't a great conference this year, but to say it's "hilariously bad" is a hilariously dumb statement.

Back