• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This will be a Mother's Day to remember

When I received medical info last year, I sent it to my Double Deac cousin who is a cardiothoracic surgeon here in NC. He indicated to me that unfortunately my birth mother is a "medical mess,' but that fortunately all of her issues were caused by smoking and that he saw nothing that jumped out as far as anything hereditary that should concern me.

That's good to know. My grandfather was adopted and he didn't find out until he was 70 while trying to apply for a passport. So beyond a single generation some of my medical history is a complete mystery. Unfortunately for him I don't think he will ever know the truth as his adopted parents are long dead and records seem all but nonexistent for that era. Its heartwarming to know that you have all this information and the beginning of something that is new

All i can say is "You da man!" Way to step up and handle this without being selfish about it. I hope it continues to work out well for you and OSDbirthmom. Is she a Wake fan?

All i can say is "You da man!" Way to step up and handle this without being selfish about it. I hope it continues to work out well for you and OSDbirthmom. Is she a Wake fan?

Thanks Wuffey, I appreciate that. Although we did not discuss collegiate allegiances, she seemed very pleased when I told her that I went to WFU on a scholarship and the sheepskin is proudly on display at chez OSD.

Very very cool story OSD. Definitely some tears on my end. My Godparents have two adopted children and I am very close with their whole family. I hope they may be able to have a similar experience someday.

Did you get to speak to your blood-grandmother at all? You said she's in poor health too, but I imagine it's kind of cool to find out there's even more of the family out there. Do you have any desire to reach out to your half-siblings? Sorry for the questions or if they're too personal. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing this emotional & moving event in your life. Great story & I am very happy to hear how well this initial conversation went. Hope the there are more positive experiences as well.

Thanks Wuffey, I appreciate that. Although we did not discuss collegiate allegiances, she seemed very pleased when I told her that I went to WFU on a scholarship and the sheepskin is proudly on display at chez OSD.

That's great. It probably would have ruined the moment if she had said, "Lake Forest? Near Chicago?"

Very very cool story OSD. Definitely some tears on my end. My Godparents have two adopted children and I am very close with their whole family. I hope they may be able to have a similar experience someday.

Did you get to speak to your blood-grandmother at all? You said she's in poor health too, but I imagine it's kind of cool to find out there's even more of the family out there. Do you have any desire to reach out to your half-siblings? Sorry for the questions or if they're too personal. Just curious.

ZDeac, thank you for your thoughts. Please do not apologize for asking questions, I opened this door with all of you looking over my shoulder, so I do not feel that anything would be too personal. I have received tremendous support and well wishes, the "rep" quotes that I have received have moved me to tears. Thanks to all of you who have reached out to me personally. I am also very thankful that my thread has created some absolutely wonderful discussion on other threads. I hope that we can all remember this feeling of unity during football and basketball season.

I did not get a chance to speak with anyone other that OSDbirthmom. I know that she lives with her mother (my blood grandmother) and that her 30 year old son lives there as well. She described him as "30 going on 2." She indicated that it was not a very good situation for any of them. I asked her if my phone call was causing any issues and she said most definitely not, and that all of her family knows that I exist. I also know that her mother knows that we have exchanged letters in the recent months. As far as reaching out, I would like to do that, but very slowly and cautiously. I have a bond with OSDbithmom, and I am going to follow her lead, my heart, and OSDToy opinion. OSDToy is one of the most level-headed, rational people that I have ever met, so she is my sounding board as we make this journey together. I would definitely like to meet any of my other "new" family members if they expressed the desire to meet me, but I will just take this all in as it unfolds.

I continue to be impressed at how incredibly you're handling all of this. Following her lead, your heart and OSDToy opinion sounds like a winning combination, and as others have said you are clearly doing this for the 'right' reasons and that statement is proof.
This thread keeps making the room a little dusty; I'm so thrilled for you and this new chapter, you know you've got my prayers as this unfolds.

Today is OSDBirthmom's birthday. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. Looking forward to some porch sitting, giving her a call and wishing her a happy birthday for the first time ever later this evening.

Today is OSDBirthmom's birthday. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. Looking forward to some porch sitting, giving her a call and wishing her a happy birthday for the first time ever later this evening.

good luck! have you spoken with her since the initial call?

Back