• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To DirecTV or not to DirecTV

I've been with DirecTV for two years (following the Time Warner switch) and it's light years better than TWC. I know that isn't much of a feat in and of itself, but the picture quality is better, the reps are always super friendly and helpful, they will drop your bill with a phone call (especially if your contract is up) and the Sunday Ticket is that awesomeness. Do it don't look back.

with DirecTV, do you buy the dish and receiver and own them forever, or just rent them from the provider?

The only downside is no watch espn app. I am in my first month of direct TV and love it. Just wish I still had watch espn

The only downside is no watch espn app. I am in my first month of direct TV and love it. Just wish I still had watch espn

Yeah, that is annoying. I'm sure it'll get added after they renegotiate and raise rates $10/month to cover it.

what sorta savings would I be looking at for switching, assuming I'm about $200/mo now with TWC for cable/internet w/ HD DVR, HBO, SHO, etc.

So if you sign up online and they can't find a place for dish - I assume you get fully reimbursed right?

When we moved a few years ago, the tech said there was no where to put the dish. We had it at our previous home. I reluctantly went to fios. Today there are three houses on my street with directv, one beside and one directly across street. I've since been told techs get paid the same no matter how difficult the dish installation is, so some will BS you if they don't want to exert effort.

If you can swing it, have the dish installed on the ground. I inherited my satellite installation with the house, and it is on the side of the house (away from the street, so hardly visible), and sits on a 5 ft metal pole. Should it snow and accumulate enough in NC to collect on the dish, I just sweep it off with a broom. Dishes are ugly, so try to have it installed on a back eve or out of sight someway somehow.

If you can swing it, have the dish installed on the ground. I inherited my satellite installation with the house, and it is on the side of the house (away from the street, so hardly visible), and sits on a 5 ft metal pole. Should it snow and accumulate enough in NC to collect on the dish, I just sweep it off with a broom. Dishes are ugly, so try to have it installed on a back eve or out of sight someway somehow.

I did this and got them to cover costs. Just call and bitch that you didn't like where it had to be on the roof.

Love DirecTV, and the Costco deal is insane. I have to wait a few months in order to be able to reup with the crazy discount, but best believe I will be dropping Xfinity with a quickness.

aka the redneck Christmas tree.

On the other hand: FiOS is amazing. So, so much better than TWC, and internet that actually works as advertised. It's expensive, and the reps suck, but like VZW, it's quality.

I was a long-time DirecTV customer in the DC area, switched to FIOS about 4 years ago, and switched TV back to DirecTV as soon as the initial FIOS contract was up. I had lots of problems with FIOS - wouldn't recognize packages we had signed up for, had to have technicians come out three times (one of which admitted he didn't get it in his own house), etc. I've kept FIOS for internet but much happier being back with DirecTV.

This is me. FIOS will fail to recognize my HBO subscription at times. But the internet on FIOS is way better than Brighthouse. As for DirectTV, my parents have it and it is a better deal than FIOS, but it will still go out during a heavy rainstorm due to signal loss, and we get heavy storms every day during the summer in Florida. That is their only issue. If you live in a climate that doesn't have monsoons every day go for it.

DirecTV is one of the few companies doing customer service/retention the right way.

Pretty much every time we feel like our bill is getting to high or we want to add/remove programming they manage to add the programming while reducing our bill.

Back