• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2011/12 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I'm late to this discussion, but I think Phil Jones effed up on a couple different occasions during that game. One, that clearing header that's been discussed too much already was a poor decision. And two, that time he let Koscielny get up behind him for a free header. Which Koscielny missed. There may be one or two more that I'm missing.

I like him a lot as a player from what I've seen in the past. Haven't seen too much of this season yet, but I'm sure he's playing well. I know I'm ignoring the several good moments he had, but I just don't think you can trot that performance out as evidence of him being a young superstar.

You are just as bad as the FA and Howard Webb. How dare you criticize a Man U player. They are beyond reproach in every situation, and you are wrong if you say otherwise.

Not a midfielder in the league that Liverpool would trade Lucas for, I imagine. Adam has been very good at winning the ball as well.

Per EPL Index:
Lucas is 15 of 22 on tackles so far this season.
Adam is 8 of 8 on tackles so far this season.

I'm late to this discussion, but I think Phil Jones effed up on a couple different occasions during that game. One, that clearing header that's been discussed too much already was a poor decision. And two, that time he let Koscielny get up behind him for a free header. Which Koscielny missed. There may be one or two more that I'm missing.

I like him a lot as a player from what I've seen in the past. Haven't seen too much of this season yet, but I'm sure he's playing well. I know I'm ignoring the several good moments he had, but I just don't think you can trot that performance out as evidence of him being a young superstar.

The Kos header was from a corner and happened like a minute before RvPs goal. Jones definitely was at fault there. Reacted to the flight of the ball very poorly.

Overall he was just ok against Arsenal. He was superb against Spurs last Monday, however.

What do you all think of the idea floated on a Liverpool podcast that professional fouls inside the box shouldn't be a red card? At first I thought it was stupid but it's pretty easy to justify. PK plus a man down is really severe.

I like the rule. Don't take players down in the box on a goal scoring opportunity. You know the penalty if you do it.

Basically they are saying what Suarez did in the WC quarter final should just have been a yellow card. Hard to say that is the way to go.

I always thought they should only make it a red card if the penalty is coverted. But maybe there would be some situations where it would be a red card no matter what.

Per EPL Index:
Lucas is 15 of 22 on tackles so far this season.
Adam is 8 of 8 on tackles so far this season.

The Guardian chalkboards has quite a few more tackles for Adam.

I wonder what accounts for the difference. Seriously...it's a pretty big one. And there's a decent difference in Lucas's numbers as well.

What do you all think of the idea floated on a Liverpool podcast that professional fouls inside the box shouldn't be a red card? At first I thought it was stupid but it's pretty easy to justify. PK plus a man down is really severe.

I think that is a bad idea. First, there's no guaranty you'll make the penalty. Second, the whole purpose of the professional foul should be to deny a player a scoring opportunity that appears more certain than making a penalty - otherwise why commit the foul given the current stance of you will suffer not only a penalty but also a red card.

If it wasn't a dangerous play or something clearly intolerable like an intentional handball or something, yeah I could see that being tried for a year. See if it changes anything.

The Guardian chalkboards has quite a few more tackles for Adam.

I wonder what accounts for the difference. Seriously...it's a pretty big one. And there's a decent difference in Lucas's numbers as well.

That's weird. I'm pretty sure the Guardian uses Opta stats as well. Maybe EPL Index hasn't updated from this weekend on the totals?

One min. I'll look into it a bit.

For Lucas EPL Index shows...

3 of 4 tackles in the Sunderland match. (Guardian shows 8 of 11)
8 of 12 tackles in the Arsenal match. (Guardian shows 10 of 16)
4 of 6 tackles in the Bolton match. (Guardian shows 6 of 11)

Very odd. Wonder if the Guardian is including some of the "possession duels" won that the EPL Index might classify as duels and not tackles? Unsure.

Endorsing Belgium is endorsing the raping of the Congo

Why yes, I am currently having to take a modern world lit class centered around the colonization of Africa, why do you ask?

Me Amy. Me mother.

CongoAmyLead-thumb-630xauto-38411.jpg

One of my guilty pleasure movies. So shit, but I love it.

Endorsing Belgium is endorsing the raping of the Congo

Why yes, I am currently having to take a modern world lit class centered around the colonization of Africa, why do you ask?

Why, I ask.

Nasri in France Football:"Today, I feel like I'm in a team where I can win titles. My décision was made in June. I wanted to leave after our difficult end of season. Arsene wanted me to stay."

In June? Tapped up.

Watching the replay of ManUtd/Arsenal on Fox Sports right now.

Just hit HT at 3-1...funny knowing the second half will be worse at 5-1.

Young's goal and Rooney's FK were just unreal.

Also, probably a noob question, but why are there no games next weekend?

LOL...Coming back from HT and announcer just mentioned United beating Arsenal 6-1 in 2001 and said "It's not exactly beyond the scope of possibility here today"....

Yeaaa....you got that right!

Romelu Lukaku is headed to Stoke on a season long loan. Rory Delap's arm is throbbing in anticipation.

Stoke is going to be good, fyi.

Back