• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

And this was fun on espnfcs Twitter

Vidic was criminally underrated.
68fc9a42beaee9ea513b00f5c02a5e26.jpg
I was going to share this yesterday and never got a chance. Indeed he was.

The Alexis numbers are fucked up in two ways. 1) we didn't pay that much for the transfer and 2) that doesn't show how much that broken player has earned through wages.

Good business too!

Michael Owen - free
Antonio Valencia - £17m
Angel di Maria - £67.50m
Memphis Depay - £30.60m
Alexis Sanchez - £30.60m

£245 million for 15 goals, just £16,380,000 per goal!

Dunno why I can't edit this. Clearly the math is wrong, that totals 144m, or 9.6 million per goal.

I was going to share this yesterday and never got a chance. Indeed he was.

I just don't get why people freak about about VdV.

Yeah, he's a very good defender, but we've seen so much better very recently.

And as good as Vidic was, I'm not sure that Rio wasn't better. Jesus, that United defense with Paddy Evra and *insert random player at RB* was STACKED.

The Alexis numbers are fucked up in two ways. 1) we didn't pay that much for the transfer and 2) that doesn't show how much that broken player has earned through wages.

Just looked at Transfermarkt, so idk. Take it up with them!

I just don't get why people freak about about VdV.

Yeah, he's a very good defender, but we've seen so much better very recently.

And as good as Vidic was, I'm not sure that Rio wasn't better. Jesus, that United defense with Paddy Evra and *insert random player at RB* was STACKED.

How many better in the PL in the last five years?

He's in the discussion to win the Ballon D'Or, it's not an accident. When was the last time a defender won it? Because of his play this year, everything he does is now under a microscope lately. He'll make a mistake at some point, because that's what players do, even the really good ones. I don't have any desire whatsoever to compare him to a player that played for United a decade ago, but VVD is very, very good and between him and Allison, they're the reasons for lifting #6 this year.

He's in the discussion to win the Ballon D'Or, it's not an accident. When was the last time a defender won it? Because of his play this year, everything he does is now under a microscope lately. He'll make a mistake at some point, because that's what players do, even the really good ones. I don't have any desire whatsoever to compare him to a player that played for United a decade ago, but VVD is very, very good and between him and Allison, they're the reasons for lifting #6 this year.

2006, Cannavaro

Vidic was an 86 player rating on FIFA 2008. That's all I got from thirty seconds of googling.

We don’t need a CB for the price he will command, especially with PSG offering a ton. Pique is aging but just had his best season, and we’ve got Lenglet and Umtiti. There are other needs, like a Suarez heir.

How does a defender have such a low rating for "pressures"? Or am I misunderstanding that category?

Townie is always talking about "pressure events" so I'm guessing that's what that is

How does a defender have such a low rating for "pressures"? Or am I misunderstanding that category?

Townie is always talking about "pressure events" so I'm guessing that's what that is

Pressures – The number of times a player pressures an opposition player per 90.
Pressure Regains (not in CB template) – Times a player’s team won the ball back within 5 seconds of the player pressuring an opponent, per 90 minutes.

From the Statsbomb site:

Because of how tied center back stats are to the tactical style they are asked to play, CB radars are generally less useful than the other templates. We use these mostly to profile style of defender, and then do a lot of scouting to analyse quality.

Clearances – Times a player makes a clearance or plays a long ball while under pressure per 90.
Unpressured Long Balls – Number of completed long balls while not under pressure per 90.

TL;DR Use with caution.

It's also why he doesn't have as many tackles, because Liverpool's high press often meant winning the ball back up field.

I'll still stay on record saying that De Ligt is a better player than van Dijk.

vvd will have a recession next season

Back