• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

PL is getting a little too soft for my liking. Not every foul is a card.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of pussies prance around and try to avoid touching each other I’d watch the NBA. Or La Liga.

That's what's most striking about watching Championship matches after "Sunderland Til I Die." The physicality of the game at that level is ridiculous compared to the PL. That and the number of games really reinforces what many say about being the difficulty of being promoted from Championship football.

Huge win. Still need a proper ST and a box-to-box CM in addition to Coleman’s replacement at RB. Doubt we add anyone until the summer though.

We want 20M for Tosun. Who's gonna pay that? Also - Seamie, I love you brother...but it's time. We get absolutely nothing from that side; contrast it with what Digne provides on the left.

That is a massive win.

20LEgend got it spot on, de Gea did his job superbly, and the field players were magnificent.

Level on points with Arsenal now and only 6 back of sputtering Chelsea in 4th. Nobody would have thought United would be in this position this quickly when the switch in manager happened.

Right? With the lack of talent on that United side, who could have guessed they'd be as high as 5th? ;)

Really sad that your goal is simply to finish in the top 4. My, my how United has fallen.

(who do I sound like?)

I love the search function

I'll admit it. I am. I think he made a mistake, I'm sure he knows it, and will be fixing it in the next month.

I'm also one of the few people around here that believes he had no choice but to give him 4 years after deciding to fire Dino after 3. You can't take the chance of developing a rep of a guy with a quick trigger finger. Firing Bz after 3 years would have opened us up to that. Sucks for us, but a fact of reality.

I think we are very well positioned to land a great coach. If the best we can do is Archie Miller, Brett Reed or some other logical, boring. candidate then I obviously will change my tune w/r/t Wellman.

So I continue to support Wellman. But this is a career defining hire for him.

A DC dad whose son is a U15 and moved over to the Netherlands and AZ Alkmaar posted an interesting thread about his son's academy experience there. Thought it might be of interest. My only beef is the dad's twitter profile: "Soccer Dad of three who proudly supports Chelsea first, Arsenal second, and my son’s club AZ Alkmaar in the Dutch league. Best player today: Neymar Jr.

wuuuttttttttttt?

A DC dad whose son is a U15 and moved over to the Netherlands and AZ Alkmaar posted an interesting thread about his son's academy experience there. Thought it might be of interest. My only beef is the dad's twitter profile: "Soccer Dad of three who proudly supports Chelsea first, Arsenal second, and my son’s club AZ Alkmaar in the Dutch league. Best player today: Neymar Jr.

wuuuttttttttttt?

Great thread. Thanks.

Great thread. Thanks.

That is an interesting read- as the father of a U15 player (obviously at a waaaay lower level than that) I can't imagine picking up and moving overseas to chase a child's development (and yes they are still children)- uprooting the family, the expense, finding a new job, etc etc- especially when the odds are so long for them to 'make it'. I can see it if your child is an obvious prodigy, but otherwise, wow- I mean incredible experience, but I don't know how a family can swing that generally.

That's what's most striking about watching Championship matches after "Sunderland Til I Die." The physicality of the game at that level is ridiculous compared to the PL. That and the number of games really reinforces what many say about being the difficulty of being promoted from Championship football.

I think it's kind of moving away from this TBF. That's the reputation of the league but the teams that win these days are the teams playing pass-happy footy. There's the occasional Cardiff under Warnock that succeeds but Fulham and Wolves certainly played positive, and the same goes for the teams at the top like Leeds, Norwich, WBA and ShefU this year

David Wagner out at Huddersfield.

https://www.htafc.com/news/2019/january/david-wagner-departs-huddersfield-town/

southampton-wagner-16_9.jpg

Last edited:
Boly just got sent off for basically the same challenge Van Dijk had on Mertens in the Champions League a few weeks ago.

I think Pawson is a pretty terrible ref, though, so who knows.

Anyway, City up 1-0 on a 10-man Wolves. Think this one is done.

Boly just got sent off for basically the same challenge Van Dijk had on Mertens in the Champions League a few weeks ago.

I think Pawson is a pretty terrible ref, though, so who knows.

Anyway, City up 1-0 on a 10-man Wolves. Think this one is done.

It is now. 2-0 before the half. City has every incentive to pile on the goals as they'll be 4 back but are now up on the goal difference should they close that gap and the teams end up tied on points at the end of the year.

On second viewing, the Boly tackle was just that much more aggressive/hard than Van Dijk’s, different angles, situations, and all that, though both get ball first, then studs into ankle. Probably both right calls with VvD yellow and Boly red. Doesn’t really matter.

Forgot to bring it up earlier but how the hell was Pogba not sent off for this tackle on Dele? He coulda been killed etc.

Forgot to bring it up earlier but how the hell was Pogba not sent off for this tackle on Dele? He coulda been killed etc.
Wasn't malicious with force is what I was thinking live.
Not really a stomp, just a really poor attempt to block Dele out.

I've seen them given for less but it still would have been harsh.

But this is hilarious

Back