• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I think the xG map had it as like 1.23-0.3. For United's 24 shots, they had 8 on target and couldn't muster more than 1.23 expected. Everton's been doing roughly this all year, on either end of a 0-1 or 1-0 xG chart, great defending, terrible attack. Our counter attack was fine at breaking up their play, but we didn't generate anything from it. Don't know that sitting deep and countering works against everybody, but it worked ok if you wanted a draw against United. I wouldn't do that against Burnley or Southampton.

The crowd loves a trier. And DCL certainly worked hard.

Only completed 62% of 21 passes over 90 minutes (on average more than 4 minutes passed in the match between DCL ATTEMPTING a pass).

But he did work hard.

He also out muscled your pube bearded lurch of a GK, which led to the OG.

Gotta give him points for that.

My MOTM was Holgate. He was awesome in the MF.

Did you think he was good? He had one giveaway in particular that forced AWB into a really crucial tackle that I'm not sure another fullback in the prem makes.

I thought McTominay was average. I'd give him a 6/10.

Fred and Holgate better in midfield (I would give each a 7). McTominay better than Davies (a 5).

Lingard (a generous 4) the worst of the 5 central players. (again)

I think the xG map had it as like 1.23-0.3. For United's 24 shots, they had 8 on target and couldn't muster more than 1.23 expected. Everton's been doing roughly this all year, on either end of a 0-1 or 1-0 xG chart, great defending, terrible attack. Our counter attack was fine at breaking up their play, but we didn't generate anything from it. Don't know that sitting deep and countering works against everybody, but it worked ok if you wanted a draw against United. I wouldn't do that against Burnley or Southampton.

Yeah that’s the next step. Figuring out how to break down inferior teams. Which is going to be tough without any healthy creative MFs.

He also out muscled your pube bearded lurch of a GK, which led to the OG.

Gotta give him points for that.

My MOTM was Holgate. He was awesome in the MF.

I mean, it was a foul, DCL didn't even come close to winning the ball, but sure. Enjoy VAR going Everton's way. CONSPIRACY!!!!!

Martial and Rashford also attempted 22 passes each. On average more than 4 minutes passed in the match between each of them attempting a pass either? But United regularly had men forward in support, Everton didn't. Our only two good passers were Richarlison and Baines; passing continues to be a problem in our team without a good 6 in the side.

I thought McTominay was average. I'd give him a 6/10.

Fred and Holgate better in midfield (I would give each a 7). McTominay better than Davies (a 5).

Lingard (a generous 4) the worst of the 5 central players. (again)

Yeah I'm probably not far off on these. Davies was handcuffed after his yellow and couldn't get stuck in, plus he was getting bossed by Fred. Our midfield is such a nightmare of injuries right now we're pressing a player like Holgate into playing there (where he did well, but also left Davies without support for long stretches in the middle of the park).

Martial and Rashford also attempted 22 passes each. On average more than 4 minutes passed in the match between each of them attempting a pass either? But United regularly had men forward in support, Everton didn't. Our only two good passers were Richarlison and Baines; passing continues to be a problem in our team without a good 6 in the side.

I'm not claiming them to be top performers in the match.

And I'm saying using pass attempt stats to say whether the forward most player on the field is worthy of player of the match is a bad argument.

And I'm saying using pass attempt stats to say whether the forward most player on the field is worthy of player of the match is a bad argument.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I believe the player of the match should be involved in, you know, the match.

he couldn't even complete two-thirds of the passes he did attempt
he completed 1 of 2 dribbles past a player
won 8 aerial challenges (really good)

but did lose possession 6 times. 2nd most of all players in the match.

How is this guy your MOTM again?

edit: Just because it was a dire match and he worked hard to win aerials?

Last edited:
Players who hold the ball up or progress play are susceptible to dispossessions. Some very good players are atop the league in that stat, Sterling T-5 for example. The style of play didn't help. Yeah, I give it to him for working the hardest on the team, he ran himself off the field. Everton attack down the left more than any team in the Prem, 40% of the time. Richarlison had to do a lot more defensive work when Digne went down, which left the center and right side of the park for DCL to work, hence why he covered more ground than anyone else on the field by nearly a kilometer. He also drew three fouls, t-most in the match, and as you point out, won a ton of aerials. In a match wanting for quality he outworked everyone else.

not a keeper in the world saving that one

that was vintage baines, back from his time as the best LB in the prem

ugh schmeichel saves one more than pickford, and that's it

he was off his line every time, but wgaf

Welp that sucks

But I’m not even mad. Love the fight and comeback from the boys.

Also Cenk Tosun is a fucking worthless bootlicking fascist. I hate him.

Back