• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

What's even more crazy after how high he gets up and floats is how awkwardly he comes down on a 34 year old left leg and doesn't shred every ligament in his knee. FREAK.

I like how he kind of moves around the defender's shoulder and shifts his hips in mid air, or something. Crazy.

Ancelotti to Everton back on? Not sure about the fit, but it's still a hell of a pull.

I still have so many concerns.

Ancelotti won't play the kids or develop them. Everton have a lot of good young players, we win or finish second in the u23 league each year. Nice to see Anthony Gordon play last night, but where has Beni Baningime been this year? Why did we loan Jonjoe Kenny out to Germany and loan in slow ass Sidibe and get rid of Ademola Lookman? Surely this isn't what Brands said he'd do when he came in, so either Brands has changed his mind (doubtful) or, it's as we've heard about Moshiri's insane level of meddling in the club's day to day. Like he'll get an idea when he's falling asleep at night, and he'll show up to training the next morning and literally take over and demand the players do a drill. Or he'll get a brilliant idea like going out and spending 50 mil on Sigurdsson and force it on the club. Those are larger problems than what the manager does from a tactics or team selection perspective, and Ancelotti won't clear those things up.

Players who hold the ball up or progress play are susceptible to dispossessions. Some very good players are atop the league in that stat, Sterling T-5 for example. The style of play didn't help. Yeah, I give it to him for working the hardest on the team, he ran himself off the field. Everton attack down the left more than any team in the Prem, 40% of the time. Richarlison had to do a lot more defensive work when Digne went down, which left the center and right side of the park for DCL to work, hence why he covered more ground than anyone else on the field by nearly a kilometer. He also drew three fouls, t-most in the match, and as you point out, won a ton of aerials. In a match wanting for quality he outworked everyone else.

"The crowd loves a trier."
- Sir Alex Ferguson

I still have so many concerns.

Ancelotti won't play the kids or develop them. Everton have a lot of good young players, we win or finish second in the u23 league each year. Nice to see Anthony Gordon play last night, but where has Beni Baningime been this year? Why did we loan Jonjoe Kenny out to Germany and loan in slow ass Sidibe and get rid of Ademola Lookman? Surely this isn't what Brands said he'd do when he came in, so either Brands has changed his mind (doubtful) or, it's as we've heard about Moshiri's insane level of meddling in the club's day to day. Like he'll get an idea when he's falling asleep at night, and he'll show up to training the next morning and literally take over and demand the players do a drill. Or he'll get a brilliant idea like going out and spending 50 mil on Sigurdsson and force it on the club. Those are larger problems than what the manager does from a tactics or team selection perspective, and Ancelotti won't clear those things up.

Link to support the last couple sentences about Farhad? Don't doubt you, just would be curious to read up on that

The Ronaldo header (and conversation on my brother-in-law's best friend's FB) got me thinking about the GOAL that gave me the BEST FEELING that I've ever seen live.

For me, it is Chicharito's goal vs. Chelsea in the opening minute. I will never forget being in the Stretford End with my dad and just losing our collective minds after Chich slotted it home to Cech's right. My dad and I have shared some wonderful moments, and I'm lucky that he is my dad, but this one is towards the top of the list of wonderful memories. I'd be greedy to ask for more.

So...what's the best goal you've seen live, folks?

The Ronaldo header (and conversation on my brother-in-law's best friend's FB) got me thinking about the GOAL that gave me the BEST FEELING that I've ever seen live.

For me, it is Chicharito's goal vs. Chelsea in the opening minute. I will never forget being in the Stretford End with my dad and just losing our collective minds after Chich slotted it home to Cech's right. My dad and I have shared some wonderful moments, and I'm lucky that he is my dad, but this one is towards the top of the list of wonderful memories. I'd be greedy to ask for more.

So...what's the best goal you've seen live, folks?

Seeing this one live was my favorite sporting memory for a while.

Until starting at about 5:52 here.

Link to support the last couple sentences about Farhad? Don't doubt you, just would be curious to read up on that

I don't have the PDF, someone with an Athletic sub may be able to link/copy the full text

https://theathletic.com/1429903/201...-man-how-evertons-powerbrokers-work-together/

Sometimes, Marcel Brands’ phone rings in middle of the night. And as Everton’s director of football rolls over in bed to answer, he will already know who is calling: his boss.

Farhad Moshiri is determined to make Everton great again. And when he thinks he’s worked out how, Everton’s owner will pick up his phone to Brands or the head coach Marco Silva, enthusiastic to share his latest idea.

“Moshiri could call the coach or Marcel at 2am and say: ‘I’ve been thinking… do you think we could get so and so…?’,” a source tells The Athletic.

“He might read something about Gareth Bale being unsettled and ask what would it take to get him?

“He’s a reactive guy and instinctive. You don’t become as successful as he has in business and not trust your instincts, but this is his first foray into making big calls in football and football is very different to any other business.”

This was probably the most fun day out to watch the soccer I've had, getting a nice buzz on a Sunday morning, sneaking into the Penzo pretending to sell papers/programs, and sitting in the aisle with my pals Alvise and Alvise to see this upset. Maniero and Recoba, man. What a pair.

I saw a bicycle off a free kick at Oxford vs Cambridge at Craven Cottage in 2008. To date I've never seen video to validate I wasn't dreaming. Most people had already left the match to watch the boat race.

I saw a bicycle off a free kick at Oxford vs Cambridge at Craven Cottage in 2008. To date I've never seen video to validate I wasn't dreaming. Most people had already left the match to watch the boat race.

This was the weirdest goal I almost saw, but left early; but I wouldn't have seen it anyway because of the fog/flare smoke combination that just sat on the field for the second half. Tuta scored and look at the reactions. The rumor is the fix was in to keep it at a draw to try to help both Bari and Venezia stay up, but Tuta had just arrived and didn't speak Italian; the only guy to run over to him is this other young Brazilian, I think. My first Serie A match and I couldn't see shit.

The literal best goal I ever saw live was vs Mt Tabor in the NC 4A playoff quarterfinals in 1997, my junior year.

We, RJR, were up 2-0 with 13 minutes left, I had just subbed off (didnt play much, so I remember when I was on the pitch that year) and Craig Falta received a pass from the left sideline with his back to goal about 35 yards out. Innocuous, one would think, but Falta did the improbable and flicked it up with his left and in one solid motion twisted with his right to side volley into the far upper 90. I still had the Gatorade cup in my hand as I watched the ball drift through the air destined for the net. The ball had a side spin on it like you wouldn't believe. It was a perfect shot.

We ended up losing 3-2 in extra time. I don't want to talk about it.

5 or so years later Thierry Henry did something similar, but not quite as special vs Man United and Barthez at Old Trafford. You know a goal is special when a professional footballer doing the same thing makes you think, "holy shit, that was incredible!!!! But that dude in high school did it better..."

this is the kid who debuted for everton yesterday

I was at the full senior debut at Stamford Bridge for Hudson-Odoi. He was quiet the first fifteen minutes or so, then got the ball in a little space on the wing, took on like three dudes and fizzed in a scorcher that bounced right on the six for an assist to Giroud (I think?) and he was incredible from then on that match. I'm not a Chelsea fan, but the "one of our own" chants were so loud and so clearly enthusiastic and excited, it was cool to be there for.

Clint Dempsey against Ghana in 2014. A ridiculous little goal in the first minute and he ran over to my corner to celebrate. What a way to open my US World Cup account. I've seen some "better" goals but none as memorable.

Back