• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Raul Jimenez in an awful collision with David Luiz. Luiz bloodied and appeared to be out cold. Somehow it looks at though they may let him continue. Jimenez stretchered off with no movement that I saw. Pretty scary.

Horrible. Hope it was an abundance of caution. Luiz shouldn’t be allowed to continue imo

Just such a stupid/ignorant thing to post.

But this isn't a "whatabout" with Suarez saying he kicked Evra because he is a black man. So please don't try that.

In no way am I defending that shitbag Suarez. I’m not a Liverpool fan. Your response is incredibly predictable. A racist term is racist; the context doesn’t matter. Certainly Suarez’s incident was significantly worse, but Cavani’s message is moronic, at best. It is no different than the reason Kyle Larson was (rightly) banned from NASCAR.
So, tell me more about MY “stupid/ignorant” post. I’m expecting you to wear a Cavani t-shirt any minute now.

I was referring to Cavani's statement as the stupid/ignorant thing to post.

Hence the "but" before the second sentence.

I have no idea who Kyle Larson is nor do I think I care to find out anytime soon.

I’m not a Liverpool fan.

And you could have confused me since the only times your chime in is to talk about Liverpool FC or when Liverpool FC is mentioned.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3653

This one in particular was interesting:

A similar scenario with Ian Rush worked out well, if Coutinho would take a pay cut, it could work.

Bringing up Ian Rush that casually and then saying you aren't a Liverpool fan.

abdc.gif

And you could have confused me since the only times your chime in is to talk about Liverpool FC or when Liverpool FC is mentioned.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3653

This one in particular was interesting:

Bringing up Ian Rush that casually and then saying you aren't a Liverpool fan.

abdc.gif

The fact that you took the time to search for that is hilarious. I appreciate Liverpool and their style of play. I’m a big Ian Rush fan. And I really appreciate Klopp’s genius. I’m a QPR fan really. The only Premier League / First Division match Ive ever seen live was QPR hosting Liverpool in 1984. Rush scored. And I had Ian Rush shin guards as a kid. It’s fairly hard to follow QPR, even when they are in the Premier League, so I pull for Southampton because of the genius Matt Le Tissier. I’ll be sure to avoid commenting on Liverpool in the future to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities.

I think it's difficult for many North Americans or Europeans to understand the usage in South America, particularly Argentina and Chile. Almost everyone has a nickname among their friends there. Gordo, Chino, Negro, etc and they're used in practically every social class without any thought as terms of endearment. That's not to say Cavani is right to use it when it can be very misunderstood or not accepted by a wider audience, but what he said was not meant in any way similar to how Suarez supposedly used it with Evra in the heat of an argument. He should be suspended as it's clearly against the Premier Leagues conduct rules. But the context is very important if you're trying to decide where Cavani is coming from when he said it.

Also Fulham is tearing Leicester apart. Parker finally finding some combinations that work.

Sorry if I missed it but Raul Jiménez has a fractured skull from his collision with Luiz this weekend. Wolves have reported that he's conscious after surgery. Just awful. Hope he's (somehow) able to continue playing but, obviously, a similar injury ended Ryan Mason's career a few years ago.

Also, it's criminal that Luiz continued playing but that's another matter.

Yeah that's brutal. I've seen a number of players/former players speaking out about immediate change needing to happen. Not the first time, but hopefully something like this can accelerate the change.

Also RIP to Papa Bouba Diop. He was just 42.

Back