• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Champions League Thread (NWT)

:noidea:

It would be interesting to see him go to a mid-tier or lower-tier team and test his results, but I think he's scared to go anywhere he can't get all the money and leverage to do what he wants. Though I don't know how much control Pep or Carlo have in things like transfers...I'd assume a large amount. And he'd definitely be given the keys to do what he wants at any non-elite club.

Would he win the league, UCL, FA Cup, Europa League, or other titles with a team like Tottenham, where the "Special One" couldn't? (Though I still wish we'd given him more time). And I am in NO WAY calling Tottenham a mid or lower tier club. I'm just saying, could he do it at a club that hasn't had super success in a while.

Lol missed this. If only we had a recent example of Carlo at a mid table club….

Pep is a great football mind, possibly the best of this generation. I think it's mostly fair to say he's underachieved in Europe since the Barca days, but let's not under sell how hard it is to win that tournament. He has 2 and only three guys have more than that -- one of them in Zidane has accomplished basically nothing else and did it with one outstanding team.

So he's gotta be up there and he's probably not done. I give the edge to Ancelotti if I have a strong group of players and need someone to oil the machine. I give Pep the edge if we're building philosophy and culture -- he was involved with the tiki taka phenomenon and greatest team probably of all time and he's taken City from a team of mercenaries to a squad that is really cohesive and constructed to keep competing, wouldn't be surprised to see him win one soon.

Can you describe Carlo’s tactics or how they have evolved over his career? He has been very successful primarily paired with galacticos level rosters. He’s kind of a dinosaur wrt tactics today though. Does anyone think Zidane is a tremendous football mind based on his coaching success?
What's the saying, necessity breeds innovation? Managing a roster of superstars with no margin for error requires a very specific skill set and I'm not sure being a brilliant tactician is part of the job. I would guess a big portion of succeeding in that role is keeping tactics simpler, letting your great players be great, and managing egos. He seems pretty good at those things even if he is a dinosaur.

Can you describe Carlo’s tactics or how they have evolved over his career? He has been very successful primarily paired with galacticos level rosters. He’s kind of a dinosaur wrt tactics today though. Does anyone think Zidane is a tremendous football mind based on his coaching success?

I don't know anything about tactics, that's for dv7 and others to discuss. I would take Zidane at Tottenham, for whatever that's worth.

Jeez, I had no idea that Zidane won 7 trophies before his 8th loss as manager. That's insane. 7 titles, 7 losses overall (up to that point).

I'd love to see where he goes next.

What's the saying, necessity breeds innovation? Managing a roster of superstars with no margin for error requires a very specific skill set and I'm not sure being a brilliant tactician is part of the job. I would guess a big portion of succeeding in that role is keeping tactics simpler, letting your great players be great, and managing egos. He seems pretty good at those things even if he is a dinosaur.

I agree with this. When faced with less than a superb roster at Everton he showed his shortcomings (or maybe the reverse was true, the roster was bad and he made the best of it). Will never forget him putting five at the back against Burnley.

I haven't been paying enough attention to know, who are the managers considered to be the leaders in modernizing tactics these days? Klopp and the Chelsea guy?

Not that I minded seeing City blow the lead but how in the world was Casemiro not shown yellow on either of his fouls on KDB or Foden in the first half. They were both orange worthy.

Pep has managed Barca, Bayern, and an oil rich Man City... is it that surprising?

Carlo has managed AC Milan, PSG, Madrid, Bayern, and Chelsea. And Everton lol.

I haven't been paying enough attention to know, who are the managers considered to be the leaders in modernizing tactics these days? Klopp and the Chelsea guy?

Ralf is the father of gegenpressing to many. Pep and those Barca sides brought tiki taka into the highest echelons of the game. Sean Dyche revolutionized Brexit tactics.

Marco Rose is probably the manager I admire most these days. All the crazy pressing young German managers are fun imo. I also think Conte has top 5 chops. I am a sucker for being able to easily see what system is being played rather than just looking at results.

Seems like the fashion these days is a high or mid press, build from the back through sustained possession and space, less emphasis on a traditional 9, everyone needs to be able to make one touch passes and switch the field accurately.

Marco Rose is probably the manager I admire most these days. All the crazy pressing young German managers are fun imo. I also think Conte has top 5 chops. I am a sucker for being able to easily see what system is being played rather than just looking at results.

Seems like the fashion these days is a high or mid press, build from the back through sustained possession and space, less emphasis on a traditional 9, everyone needs to be able to make one touch passes and switch the field accurately.

I prefer managers that can adapt to the players at their disposal and maximize their abilities while shielding them from their own short-comings.

SAF was a master at this (obviously) and Ancelotti has learned to do the same throughout his career. His Parma sides in the late 90s were about creative wing play and two forwards -- nothing really like his Milan sides that he resurrected from the doldrums. He moved Pirlo to a playmaking-6 (from a 10 that the previous manager - blanking on his name, the Turkish dude) and basically revitalized his career first playing as the pivot with 2 up top in Pippo and Shevegol and then later with Kaka and Seedorf running the show in the 'Christmas Tree' formation. Then at Chelsea he went with a more traditional 4-3-3 in big matches to a 4-1-2-1-2 against 'smaller' clubs to fit both Drogba and Anelka on the pitch together. That Chelsea side in 09/10 were rampant on the attack against the minnows. I still hate them for it as they beat United to the league by a single point and otherwise United could have won 5 Prems in a row (and could easily ended up 7 without 'Aguerrrooooooo' UGH).

I don't think Carlo ever got a feel for what to do with Everton and wasn't given enough time or space to make the most of the players at his disposal. I always got the feeling that he didn't have much say in which players stayed, left, or came in - which is stupid to do to any manager, much less one with Carlo's pedigree.

Carlo has managed AC Milan, PSG, Madrid, Bayern, and Chelsea. And Everton lol.

AC Milan was a little down when Carlo took over and he brought them back to two CL titles. PSG then wasn't the PSG of today, iirc.

I’m sure he would have been given the time and resource at Everton but that Madrid $ was too good.

His only real inspiration was to bring in the old lemon James. It seemed to me during his time with the club that he wanted to play very defensively and rely a lot on a couple key playmakers. It was good for DCL but not great for a few others. He’s obviously an elite football mind which made it funny to question his lineup and tactics week in and week out at Everton

Congrats to Seattle Sounders for winning Champions League.

/endthread

by my quick count, Madrid scored seven goals after the 75th minute in the second leg of their three knockout round matchups -- four by Benzema and five by Rodrygo

I still don't know how Rodrygo got his equalizing header goal after that deflection (off Asensio?). That was quite fortunate. No chance he could have reacted that quickly. Was likely trying to head back across Ederson but the deflection was just so *chefs kiss* perfect for him to snap it by Ederson before he had a chance to react.

Don't care, it was glorious and I had lots of laughs. Good times.

This is just mindblowing when you really look at it. Especially knowing the score going in.

Man-City-vs-Real-Madrid.png

Last edited:
Back