• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Champions League (and other Euro comps) Thread. NWT.

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
The draw is coming up in a couple hours.

Who will be in the 'Group of Death'?

Which big club will have an 'easy draw'?

How will Manchester United infuriate me in the next couple of months?

Stay tuned!

If United gets paired in a group again with La Real my buddy (La Real fan) and I have already agreed that we'll go back to San Sebastian again this year and maybe even to OT. We had a blast last year for the Europa match.

If United gets paired in a group again with La Real my buddy (La Real fan) and I have already agreed that we'll go back to San Sebastian again this year and maybe even to OT. We had a blast last year for the Europa match.
hell yeah. love me some Donostia.

Was impressed with the Bakayoko kid at PSV in the Rangers playoff. He'll be interesting to watch in the group matches.

Pods:

1693490836723.png

I think the worst possible draw for United would be...

Bayern
(Man United)
Milan
Real Sociedad (maybe Gala? trips to Turkey are ROUGH)

Could also swap out Bayern for Barca and throw Union in as the Pot 4 side. NO THANK YOU.

Attachments

• 1693490691700.png
    1693490691700.png
    862.6 KB · Views: 4
If Napoli can avoid drawing Newcastle, Gala, or Real Sociedad I'll be happy with it. The pots set up really well for us since we can't get fucked by drawing Milan or Lazio from pot 3.

With that said it's possible we see a group like Bayern, Real Madrid, Milan, and Newcastle, which would be chaotic.

Pot 1: Last years champs, EL champs, champs of top 7 associations based on country coefficients

Rest of the pots are seeded based on last year's club coefficients

Club coefficients are a pretty poor metric for seeding imo, though. Especially since they take into account the previous 4 seasons.

As an example, Napoli is ranked 17 in UEFA today based on this behind clubs like Chelsea (5), Liverpool (6), Juve (12) to name a few.

Newcastle is wild being like 79th right now, but they've stunk until very recently.

how do they make the pods?
Used to be a straight Euros Coefficients system based on the previous 5 years in Europe success.

Think that changed about 4 or so years ago where the top 6 leagues (based on coefficients) plus CL and EL winners were seeded in Pod/Pot 1. Feyenoord get Pod 1 because Man City both won England's top division and the CL, so that extra spot went to the 7th top rated European league, Holland.

Then the rest fill in based on the same coefficients standards as before based on the past 5 years of success in European club competition.

Club coefficients are a pretty poor metric for seeding imo, though. Especially since they take into account the previous 4 seasons.

As an example, Napoli is ranked 17 in UEFA today based on this behind clubs like Chelsea (5), Liverpool (6), Juve (12) to name a few.

Newcastle is wild being like 79th right now, but they've stunk until very recently.
Disagree.

Clubs should have to prove their worth of getting seeded higher, IMO. Is Napoli better than other clubs right now? Probably. Go prove it.

is the club coefficient a UEFA rating?

Union was in Bundesliga.2 five years ago -- they were in Liga.3 15 years ago

which raises the question: which club in any sport in the world has been as well run as Union in the last ten-ish years? can't imagine many have gotten as much out of their resources as this squad

Disagree.

Clubs should have to prove their worth of getting seeded higher, IMO. Is Napoli better than other clubs right now? Probably. Go prove it.
Well they already have by earning their spot in the first pot by winning a top league. Don't disagree that clubs need to prove their worth for seeding. My gripe is more that 5 years is too many for creating an aggregated coefficient.

Maybe 5 is too many but it feels fair to me. 3 years seems too short tho. so 4?

but rule of 5 and all that

Back