• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Champions League (and other Euro comps) Thread. NWT.

Maybe 5 is too many but it feels fair to me. 3 years seems too short tho. so 4?

but rule of 5 and all that
Yeah the more I think about it I don't think there's an optimal number of years. 3 does feel too short and looking over the coefficient rankings if you limited it to 4 I don't think it would really move anyone around in a substantial way

Union is Pod 4 no matter what this year tho since their record in Europe, even in recent history, isn't that great.

knocked out of Conference League in the group stage 2021/22
knocked out at R16 in Europa League 2022/23

Maybe it'll be the case that the move to the Swiss model next year will be an improvement in generating the coefficients. More opportunity for a club like Union to prove itself in Europe with 10 guaranteed matches, as opposed to this year where they could hypothetically end up in a group with Manchester City, Real, and Milan.

What the CL is about to become is going to be a shit show

Group of 36 but yet each club only plays 7 others? Top 8 get through to R16 with sides 9-24 to a playoff to determine the last 8 of the R16.

I hate it. One step closer to the "super league"

and this will make Juice happy... wink

seeding next year (and forward) will be based on CL winner plus top 8 leagues winners. The rest of the clubs to qualify, including an additional club from whatever 2 nations has the highest coefficient getting an extra club, will use the coefficient system to be seeded, in groups of 9, for pods 2 through 4.

Each club will draw two clubs from the other pods for one home and one away match (not another club from their own nation) for a total of 8 matches. 3 points for a win. 1 for a draw. And all that.

Top 8 teams go through automatically. 9-24 get drawn into a home/away two-legged tie to determine the rest of the R16.

Group stage stretches into January where clubs can feasibly buy players and register them for the last two CL matches. Then feasibly register even more different players for the knockout rounds should they advance.

Just a money grab. It is a stupid system and goes against the "fairest" way to determine who goes through - each club in a group plays the other clubs home and away...most points advance.

because it doesn't seem like what happened three seasons ago before this one is terribly relevant to any forthcoming competition

i'd imagine some clubs might have but one or two guys that contributed any minutes three years ago

because it doesn't seem like what happened three seasons ago before this one is terribly relevant to any forthcoming competition

i'd imagine some clubs might have but one or two guys that contributed any minutes three years ago
yeah, I see your point. But you can't seed just based on last year's domestic results either, right? Plus players on clubs change each summer so maybe the star player that got a club to finish high in their domestic league isn't there anymore after being bought by another club. Should that impact seeding? If so, how? If not, how is that different from your scenario above other than amount of time being different?

Also, I believe clubs should "earn" their spots to get the better draws and using a multi-year coefficient is the fairest way to do that, IMO.

yeah, I see your point. But you can't seed just based on last year's domestic results either, right? Plus players on clubs change each summer so maybe the star player that got a club to finish high in their domestic league isn't there anymore after being bought by another club. Should that impact seeding? If so, how? If not, how is that different from your scenario above other than amount of time being different?

Also, I believe clubs should "earn" their spots to get the better draws and using a multi-year coefficient is the fairest way to do that, IMO.
right, which is why I think three years is fair

you want to account for the strength of the league they've placed in, but it should be heavily weighted toward recency imo

I wouldn't put up an argument if it moved to 3 years but I don't think 5 years is unreasonable either.

I think we are nearly in agreement on this one.

To keep in mind heading into the draw. These clubs cannot play same night (one in Group A to D, other E to H)
Man City & Man United
Sevilla & Atletico Madrid
Barcelona & Real Madrid
Napoli & Lazio
Bayern & Dortmund
PSG & Lens
Benfica & Porto
Feyenoord & PSV
Inter & AC Milan
Leipzig & Union Berlin
Arsenal & Newcastle

Joe Cole and Eric Abidal?

definitely the first names that come to mind when you think legends of the game....

Joe Cole and Eric Abidal?

definitely the first names that come to mind when you think legends of the game....
GYI0064935592.jpg

Arsenal get Sevilla

can't complain about that if you're a Gooner

Back