• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

When you're marrying this woman, and she doesn't want to live in Sunderland again

article-2661692-1EE4AA8000000578-135_634x566.jpg

This is a strong argument.

"Russian club Zenit St Petersburg completed the oddest transfer deadline-day deal - by signing Bart Simpson as their new mascot. "

Victor Valdes appears to be close to signing with Liverpool. free agent so transfer window doesn't apply. Meh. I'm not really in the camp that you need a good backup.

Victor Valdes appears to be close to signing with Liverpool. free agent so transfer window doesn't apply. Meh. I'm not really in the camp that you need a good backup.

So you give up the #1 spot at Barcelona to be the back-up at Liverpool. Why?

Why would he be the backup? He's one of the best keepers in the world and should've been the #1 for Spain if he wasn't injured.

So Liverpool sits Mignolet? I don't see that happening.

Liverpool do not have a quality back up keeper. The question I have is does the signing of Valdes (should it happen) indicate some level of dissatisfaction with Mignolet or just an effort to create depth at a position where they currently have none?

I like the signing. Valdes is nowhere near one of the best keepers in soccer anymore. He's gonna be a good back up and could supply good competition for Mignolet's starting job

Valdes would be an excellent signing for Liverpool. At worst you have a very good backup. At best you have two keepers that keep pushing each other in training and get better. Mignolet won't be feeling comfortable knowing that there is a good goal keeper behind him in the pecking order now. You think Brad Jones was having him worry about losing his spot? Hell no. Now Mignolet knows he has to train harder and concentrate more on each and every play.

"United believe they can make a world-class marquee signing every year for the next decade."

"When United signed their hugely lucrative new kit deal with Adidas in July it was said to have given them the potential to sign “a Suárez every year”."

"However, they insist it is not just something they can afford but something they can afford comfortably, especially as they argue they have reduced the size of their squad at the same time."

Sounds like the entire club has changed some of its core philosophies. I assume smaller squad size means less player development and planning on early exits from everything but the FA cup, the BPL, and the CL (which with the money at stake these days, I can understand and think it will be a trend other clubs will take in the future). I also think the use of contracts that are "obliged to buy" instead of "option to buy" are an end-around for the new FFP rules that will need to be addressed in the near future.

The myth of the club completely changing their core philsophy is still around? It's fun to see how a media led mistruth can impact so many perceptions. Sending away Tom Cleverley was nothing less than a pure footballing decision -- he hadn't progressed enough in his career to prove he was capable of being a Manchester United player anymore, at least not one if we want to compete for the highest honors. And Danny Welbeck had been asking to either A) be guaranteed significant playing time at forward; or B) be allowed to leave the club. I hate that he left the club, but we essentially traded him for Radamel Falcao. Nobody can say that isn't a sound football decision either.

On top of that, here are the Manchester United academy players that have played for United so far this season in the first 4 matches:

Darren Fletcher
Tyler Blackett (debut)
Jesse Lingard (debut)
Adnan Januzaj
Tom Cleverley (sold since)
Michael Keane
Danny Welbeck (sold since)
Marnick Vermijl (debut)
Reece James (debut)
Saidy Janko (debut)
Andreas Pereria (debut)
James Wilson

The myth of the club completely changing their core philsophy is still around? It's fun to see how a media led mistruth can impact so many perceptions. Sending away Tom Cleverley was nothing less than a pure footballing decision -- he hadn't progressed enough in his career to prove he was capable of being a Manchester United player anymore, at least not one if we want to compete for the highest honors. And Danny Welbeck had been asking to either A) be guaranteed significant playing time at forward; or B) be allowed to leave the club. I hate that he left the club, but we essentially traded him for Radamel Falcao. Nobody can say that isn't a sound football decision either.

On top of that, here are the Manchester United academy players that have played for United so far this season in the first 4 matches:

Darren Fletcher
Tyler Blackett (debut)
Jesse Lingard (debut)
Adnan Januzaj
Tom Cleverley (sold since)
Michael Keane
Danny Welbeck (sold since)
Marnick Vermijl (debut)
Reece James (debut)
Saidy Janko (debut)
Andreas Pereria (debut)
James Wilson

You totally missed my point. I was discussing the macro environment, and I used references to ManU from the article I read that generated my thoughts.

Oh, ok. My bad then.

I've just been reading so much "United have abandoned their youth" articles lately that my mind just automatically went there, I suppose.

I've read the Welbeck leaving severed some kind of link to the past which is pretty meh in my book.

Back