• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Summer Transfer Thread 2018 (NWT), Window Closes August 9

I wish Dortmund would make a move for Origi, who obviously needs a fresh start and is no longer welcome at Liverpool. Makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Tottenham is in a strange spot because of the UEFA homegrown rules (neither Dier or Davies count as homegrown) really putting a squeeze on. Any foreign born player coming in basically has to replace one going out, and Spurs do not have many candidates to ship out (Alderweireld, aging Dembele, Sissoko and maybe one of the backup keepers like Vorm or Gazzaniga). The rest of the foreign trained players are either squad anchors (Lloris, Vertonghen, Son) or young talent it makes no sense to move on (Sanchez, Foyth). This means Spurs effectively have to sign "association trained" players to actually add depth. Grealish or Zaha make sense there, but man there are not a lot of options (also why Barkley made sense last year before he turned his leg into a Spanish ham).

I'd love to see Alderweireld for Martial and Dembele/Sissoko out for N'Dombele (foreign trained replacements) and then maybe a young association trained defender (Lascelles?), attacker (Grealish/Zaha) and man, it's slim pickings after that. Lewis Cook? Spurs badly need depth in those 8 association trained spots, but God only knows where it is going to come from.

I thought Son had some basically unavoidable military service that made him a possible option to sell.

Yeah, just read the backgrounds of Dier and Davies. Did not know that. That's why I hate to see Wilshere move on as well (even though it needed to happen).

If Korea wins the Asian Cup in January he's likely exempt.

No. The Asian Cup has no standing at all.

After the soccer team got exemption for making their run in the 2002 WC, the Korean baseball team threw a fit and demanded the same for their performance in the World Baseball Classic. This led to other athletes claiming it was unfair that they had no similar competitions to earn exemptions. So Korea decided that only performances in all sport competitions could earn exemptions. This means football only events (World Cup, Asian Cup, etc - no longer can earn athletes an exemption from military service).

Olympics and the Asian Games are the only two football tournaments now where Koreans can earn exemptions. Both are U-23 for football and thus professional clubs are not required to release their players for them. This is what happened in 2014 when Son was at Leverkusen ... they did not release him to go play, and so even though Korea won the tournament, Son did not get an exemption (this was catastrophically stupid and petty by Leverkusen, to say the obvious).

Tottenham will release Son for the Asian Games in August, almost surely with the wink wink that Korea won't call him up for the Asian Cup in January - which will piss off the Asian Federation, but I guess Korea made their bed on that so they can deal with it.

Ah, right. Asian Games not Asian Cup. I thought I remembered them saying it was in August rather than January.

Welcome Malcolm. Big fan of signing him for 40m now rather than 100m from Roma next year

Rojo close to a move to Everton
Anywhere from 20 to 30 million according to different sources

Buh bye you mistake riddled defender. Good on his day but completely unreliable to play smart match in, match out

Sadly, Rojo would easily be our best CB, regardless of how inconsistent he is

I’d sign him for 15-20M, not anymore

That’s how dire our CB situation is . Jags and Williams are done. Keane is in desperate need of sports psychologist. Holgate is probably our best CB, and he’s only 20 and currently hurt.

We need two CBs ASAP. I’ll take Rojo for 20M if we find someone else to partner him. That’s how desperate it has become.

I think the Mina saga is over for us, so bring in Rojo and then get Zouma or somebody similar to partner him. Jags and Holgate can back them up. Williams and Keane need to be shipped out.

Last edited:
Poch now saying he doesn't know if Spurs sign anyone or not. Imagine he's pretty frustrated.

Great not to lose any of our top guys but when was the last time a club with title ambitions didn't sign a single player over the summer? Not to mention our CMs are in triage at the moment.

And we haven't sold TOBY or Moose yet? Who fucking knows?

Back