• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Towson

If anybody wants some free tickets to the Towson game hit me up, I have 8 tickets in Section 13. Wake fans who are planning on using these tix for themselves only.

Most books don't even post lines for FBS be FCS matchups. I hope we win by that much though!

Yeah and not like you couldn't find them around before, but now with fewer restrictions on gambling ESPN and other sites are publishing numbers.

For instance, State is -9.5 on a couple online books against JMU and ESPN has a line listed for it.

If anybody wants some free tickets to the Towson game hit me up, I have 8 tickets in Section 13. Wake fans who are planning on using these tix for themselves only.

Sent you a pm.

People are surprised to learn how small WFU. Because it is WF “University” they assume it must be at least as big as Duke or other actual universities. Wake is a undergraduate college with 3 professional schools and a tiny grad program that grants very few PhDs...and that’s a good thing.

While I understand and appreciate what you're saying, as a WFU PhD, I have to disagree about your characterization of WFU as not an "actual" university. The graduate program is not large but it's not "tiny" at 800 PhD students currently.

Does WF no longer have any grad programs in the humanities or social sciences? When I was in school in the 90s there were MA programs in English, history, anthro, etc. I thought there were also at least a few PhD programs in these fields. I know some have shut down since then, but I'm pretty surprised to learn that the only post-baccalaureate degrees available are in the hard sciences.

"New starting quarterback Tom Flacco sparks Towson football to 36-10 win over Morgan State"

Wondering if they any threads on their message board asking if Tom Flacco can win the Heisman at Towson.

Final Results
Team Statistics

Game Stats TOWSON MSU
Total Yards 401 170
Pass Yards 245 104
Rushing Yards 156 66
Penalty Yards 8-100 12-107
1st Downs 21 13
3rd Downs 3-14 3-13
4th Downs 1-3 0-3
TOP 27:38 30:17

While I understand and appreciate what you're saying, as a WFU PhD, I have to disagree about your characterization of WFU as not an "actual" university. The graduate program is not large but it's not "tiny" at 800 PhD students currently.
In my take on the subject I think Bob has characterized big as actual. Emory and Washington Universities may have similar numbers to small Wake Forest University and all three are clearly actual universities in the classical sense. I appreciate Bob’s commendation of Wake for not opening the floodgates for granting PhDs.

Quick question: does anyone know if you get WATCHESPN or ACCN Extra on Hulu Live?

You can download the watch ESPN app on fire and sign in through your Hulu account

Instead of "grad program," I should have said "doctoral program" or "PhD program." That's what I was thinking of. Most grad students are enrolled in the 3 professional schools: law, business and medicine. There are others in several master's degree programs. But the enrollment in PhD programs is small by comparison to big, traditional universities such as UNC-CH, Harvard, Michigan, Wisconsin, Berkley, etc.

I can' find the exact enrollment in PhD programs, but the number of PhD degrees granted annually was 64, according to the most recent data. That's pretty small.

I'm not disparaging the PhD programs that WFU does have. They are outstanding and they are absolutely necessary to help sustain the research that goes on at the medical school. However all of them are in biomedical sciences and life/physical sciences. A big, traditional university has doctoral programs in many subjects ranging from the humanities to the social sciences to the sciences.

So WFU is something between a college and a university. WFU administrators refer to WFU with the awkward phrase, "collegiate university," though few people understand what that means, even people closely associated with the university. I always describe WFU as an undergraduate college with 3 professional schools and a small number of other grad programs, but that's too much of a mouthful.

Are there really 800 PhD students at Wake? If so, it would seem like more than 64 would have graduated in 2017. Doesn't it normally take 4-5 years to go through a PhD program? That would suggest that there should be about 150 PhD degrees granted per year.

Your biggest problem here was using the term "actual" to describe universities which we used to call Research One institutions. Poor choice of words. Wake would never be an R1 in the traditional sense because we don't offer the minimum number of doctoral degrees per year, but that doesn't make it not an "actual" university.

Also, professional schools are not the same as graduate schools. And 4-5 years is a pretty ridiculous estimate, all things considered. Average in my field is 9.5 years.

Back