• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Towson

I couldn’t care less how much we win by. Just get the damn run game going before BC. I doubt we have much success if we have to pass 50+ times next Thursday.

Instead of "grad program," I should have said "doctoral program" or "PhD program." That's what I was thinking of. Most grad students are enrolled in the 3 professional schools: law, business and medicine. There are others in several master's degree programs. But the enrollment in PhD programs is small by comparison to big, traditional universities such as UNC-CH, Harvard, Michigan, Wisconsin, Berkley, etc.

I can' find the exact enrollment in PhD programs, but the number of PhD degrees granted annually was 64, according to the most recent data. That's pretty small.

I'm not disparaging the PhD programs that WFU does have. They are outstanding and they are absolutely necessary to help sustain the research that goes on at the medical school. However all of them are in biomedical sciences and life/physical sciences. A big, traditional university has doctoral programs in many subjects ranging from the humanities to the social sciences to the sciences.

So WFU is something between a college and a university. WFU administrators refer to WFU with the awkward phrase, "collegiate university," though few people understand what that means, even people closely associated with the university. I always describe WFU as an undergraduate college with 3 professional schools and a small number of other grad programs, but that's too much of a mouthful.

Are there really 800 PhD students at Wake? If so, it would seem like more than 64 would have graduated in 2017. Doesn't it normally take 4-5 years to go through a PhD program? That would suggest that there should be about 150 PhD degrees granted per year.

Just admit it was stupid to imply that Wake is not an 'actual' university.

There will be a line on the game, but unlike FBS matchups, Vegas does not publish lines in FCS v. FBS games until the day before or the day of games (similar to NCAA basketball games). Would guess the line will be in the 28 to 30 range.

Last year in their lone FBS matchup Towson lost to MD 63-17. Two years ago, Towson lost to USF (and Willie Taggart apparently now the worst coach ever after one game at FSU) 56-20.

Also, Towson plays Villanova after WF. That is a bigger game for Towson in the FCS realm; so, Towson may be happy to collect a pay check and move on to the heart of its schedule.

Last edited:
There will be a line on the game, but unlike FBS matchups, Vegas does not publish lines in FCS v. FBS games until the day before or the day of games (similar to NCAA basketball games). Would guess the line will be in the 28 to 30 range.

Last year in their lone FBS matchup Towson lost to MD 63-17. Two years ago, Towson lost to USF (and Willie Taggart apparently now the worst coach ever after one game at FSU) 56-20.

Also, Towson plays Villanova after WF. That is a bigger game for Towson in the FCS realm; so, Towson may be happy to collect a pay check and move on to the heart of its schedule.

I love this. Both teams will be looking ahead and trying to avoid injury.

Yeah, most places set a line the day of FBS vs. FCS games.

5dimes has one currently though, Wake -30.5. Feel like I saw -32.5 earlier but could be misremembering

I love this. Both teams will be looking ahead and trying to avoid injury.

Then maybe both teams play predominantly with second and third string.
If that's the case, we should win convincingly.

I can guarantee you that Towson will come out trying to keep it close until halftime, I would come out guns blazing to be sure that we can rest our horses and get the replacement players for our injured boys plenty of good reps.

I can guarantee you that Towson will come out trying to keep it close until halftime, I would come out guns blazing to be sure that we can rest our horses and get the replacement players for our injured boys plenty of good reps.

Every FCS team has visions of getting the next App St. over Michigan win. That usually lasts until they are down three scores. Wake needs to get up early on Towson and quench those thoughts.

It is imperative that we the running game going. Hartman looks sharp and some more practice can only help but we can't be one dimensional against teams with strong secondaries who can rush the passer. Also hoping that we can get Newman in for the second half to see what he brings, as I'm sure he will likely end up starting at least a game or two this year.

It is imperative that we the running game going. Hartman looks sharp and some more practice can only help but we can't be one dimensional against teams with strong secondaries who can rush the passer. Also hoping that we can get Newman in for the second half to see what he brings, as I'm sure he will likely end up starting at least a game or two this year.

Clawson went into this in detail in his presser. Tulane stacked the box and sold out to stop the run (they dared Hartman to beat them). WF had to adjust to take what Tulane gave them. So, WF threw the ball 51 times and gained 500+ yards. If an opponent puts more defenders in the box then there are blockers, you can't run. As teams respect our passing game more, we will run more, but the offense gameplan depends what the defense does.

Towson has gone to a no huddle offense with Tom Flacco as the QB. Good to hear that Hinton is giving the Wake defense some good looks against a mobile running QB.

Clawson went into this in detail in his presser. Tulane stacked the box and sold out to stop the run (they dared Hartman to beat them). WF had to adjust to take what Tulane gave them. So, WF threw the ball 51 times and gained 500+ yards. If an opponent puts more defenders in the box then there are blockers, you can't run. As teams respect our passing game more, we will run more, but the offense gameplan depends what the defense does.

I read/heard the same thing from Clawson, but I'm not sure I buy it. Teams stack the box against power-run teams all the time (Wisconsin, Bama, GT, etc), and they still churn out a ton of yards.

Our slow mesh-point in the RPO seems to allow defenders who normally wouldn't even be in the play (backside DEs/LBs for example) time to crash down and disrupt things or close off cutback lanes. Hopefully Hartman will get quicker with his reads (pretty safe bet for a true frosh) and/or we add in some straight power runs to make things easier on the OL.

I think we have another big game on O with Towson, but we need everyone to stay healthy for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't look for a total blowout in this game, Clawson needs to start building depth and this is the best game to do that, so I will go with 34-17 Wake

I read/heard the same thing from Clawson, but I'm not sure I buy it. Teams stack the box against power-run teams all the time (Wisconsin, Bama, GT, etc), and they still churn out a ton of yards.

Our slow mesh-point in the RPO seems to allow defenders who normally wouldn't even be in the play (backside DEs/LBs for example) time to crash down and disrupt things or close off cutback lanes. Hopefully Hartman will get quicker with his reads (pretty safe bet for a true frosh) and/or we add in some straight power runs to make things easier on the OL.

I'm not convinced Hartman is a RPO QB. I would rather have us have pure run, pass, and play action plays. I think with Hartman's arm and elusiveness I would rather see him as a pure pocket passer. I think he is smart enough to take off when the pocket collapses

I'm not convinced Hartman is a RPO QB. I would rather have us have pure run, pass, and play action plays. I think with Hartman's arm and elusiveness I would rather see him as a pure pocket passer. I think he is smart enough to take off when the pocket collapses

It's too early to tell at this point.

That's why Clawson clarified last week that while there are some offenses that can line up against 8- or 9-man boxes and still run (he named BC and Stanford, specifically), Wake Forest's offense isn't one of those. It operates on balance and is designed for intelligent players to make correct reads. Which is why Clawson has already told us about four times this year what a benefit it is to have a 5th-year senior like Ryan Anderson working with Sam, because there probably isn't an alignment he hasn't seen.

Back