• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Towson

I read/heard the same thing from Clawson, but I'm not sure I buy it. Teams stack the box against power-run teams all the time (Wisconsin, Bama, GT, etc), and they still churn out a ton of yards.

Our slow mesh-point in the RPO seems to allow defenders who normally wouldn't even be in the play (backside DEs/LBs for example) time to crash down and disrupt things or close off cutback lanes. Hopefully Hartman will get quicker with his reads (pretty safe bet for a true frosh) and/or we add in some straight power runs to make things easier on the OL.

Wake should be more like Alabama? Someone email Clawson that info immediately!

I'm kidding, but come on. People complain EVERY game about our "slow developing" RPO plays until they work. Can't remember which game it was last year early on but posters were killing Clawson for repeated slow developing runs up the middle - then late in the game we ran it up the gut like 8 consecutive times for a 60 yard TD drive that sealed the win. A lot of us just watched FSU try to run a hurry-up offense like Clawson has developed here, combined with traditional runs that failed miserably against a stacked box (minus one play). Sure there are a few elite/rare teams that just run over anyone - but as FSU showed there are dozens and dozens of others with plenty of talent that can pretend to be unstoppable and get crushed. That would be us if Clawson was as bad a coach as Taggart.

Just from memory, it seemed like a lot of our more successful runs were on Wolford’s quicker reads, but maybe not. There are a lot of schools that run the RPO with much quicker mesh points, so it’s not like it’s impossible to do. Either way, the Claw will make it work.

One of the reasons for the slow mesh point is to give Dortch time to get open on a slant, then the QB can pull back and hit him.

QB doesn't need to be a run threat to run RPO; you need to put an unblocked player in conflict between pass and run responsibilities. Any QB who can make the read can be a RPO QB

QB doesn't need to be a run threat to run RPO; you need to put an unblocked player in conflict between pass and run responsibilities. Any QB who can make the read can be a RPO QB

If the QB isn't a threat to either run or pass, the unblocked defender has no dilemma. The QB has to at least be credible as a five yard run threat. Otherwise the defender just had to stop one possible action of the QB.

If the QB isn't a threat to either run or pass, the unblocked defender has no dilemma. The QB has to at least be credible as a five yard run threat. Otherwise the defender just had to stop one possible action of the QB.

There's no requirement that the QB be a runner in the RPO. That's what backs are for. The QB has two options in the RPO...hand-off or throw. Sure, it's helpful if the QB run can be a 3rd option as well, or a 2nd option with an empty backfield, but it's by no means a requirement for running the RPO.

Last edited:
Yeah. The R in RPO is run by the running back. I watched the OT last night and on Hartman's key 2nd down scramble, the announcers said he was a good runner in the RPO. I think QB running is just as important in an RPO as in any other spread offense. Get out of trouble. The occasional designed run. But we shouldn't need Hartman to get carries.

So Tom Flacco, the Towson QB, is on his 3rd school now. First at Western Michigan, then transferred to Rutgers near his family, and now to Towson, which is right outside of Baltimore, where his brother happens to be the un-elite quarterback of the Ravens.

My question is, who among us would not transfer schools to take advantage of living near our multi-millionaire football playing older brother and all the perks of being a college student with one of the most famous last names in town?

Unfortunately for me, my brother is an accountant.

Over/Under:

Hartman passes for 300 yards;
Colburn rushes for 2 touchdowns;
Defense scores 1 touchdown off a turnover.

Over/Under:

Hartman passes for 300 yards;
Colburn rushes for 2 touchdowns;
Defense scores 1 touchdown off a turnover.

Well, all of these overs would come with some pretty large odds, and I'd go under on every one, if not.

Now if you said 250 yds, 1.5 TDs, and .5 D/ST TDs, that would be more interesting. On that, I'll say under, over, over.

2 tickets & a Blue Lot parking pass available for the Towson game. Will have at my office on Reynolda Rd or can tape to the outside door for pickup.

2 tickets & a Blue Lot parking pass available for the Towson game. Will have at my office on Reynolda Rd or can tape to the outside door for pickup.

Sent you one as well

Looks like high chance of rain during the game.

Yeah, most places set a line the day of FBS vs. FCS games.

5dimes has one currently though, Wake -30.5. Feel like I saw -32.5 earlier but could be misremembering

5dimes line now down to -27.

Getting #nervous

Back