• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trader Joe's in GSO

I live in Starmount Forest, the neighborhood just to the south of the intersection of Hobbs and friendly. The activists in our neighborhood are pulling out all the stops to fight Trader Joe's. They are worried about property values if any development on friendly west Friendly Ctr. is permitted. I've heard that Trader Joe's is being scared off by the vocal local opposition.

I live in Starmount Forest, the neighborhood just to the south of the intersection of Hobbs and friendly. The activists in our neighborhood are pulling out all the stops to fight Trader Joe's. They are worried about property values if any development on friendly west Friendly Ctr. is permitted. I've heard that Trader Joe's is being scared off by the vocal local opposition.

People really are clueless when it comes to property values.

why is this board so dead? what time zone is north carolina?

you can put together a perfect anitpaosto at TJ's:

Spanish deli selction
Aged Parmesan
Pepperoncinis
Kalamata olives

Get an Argentinian Malbec

Bump...One of my friends is spearheading the effort to bring TJs to Greensboro. They have a petition available at http://greensborotraderjoes.com/ if you'd like to sign it.

Apparently, TJs has looked around in GSO several times for a lot to build on; the spot that they're really looking at is the spot on the corner of Hobbs and Friendly. There are 6 houses on that land right now, but none of them are all that nice/well maintained. The homeowners actually WANT to sell their homes as a package to the developer, but the zoning board and city council are dragging their heels on it.

The zoning board / city council are not dragging their heels on it. TJ's has yet to ask for the re-zoning or submitted anything, instead they have only met with neighbors and presented their plan in the paper. I hope they do not get scared away by the douchey anti-TJ's people, most of whom, don't even live close to where it proposed to go in.

I think once proposed, while there will be loud opposition from those who oppose, the re-zoning for the new shopping area that will include the TJ's will be passed by the zoning board.

If Greensboro doesn't want TJ's, we'd be happy to have one over in Winston!

The zoning board / city council are not dragging their heels on it. TJ's has yet to ask for the re-zoning or submitted anything, instead they have only met with neighbors and presented their plan in the paper. I hope they do not get scared away by the douchey anti-TJ's people, most of whom, don't even live close to where it proposed to go in.

I think once proposed, while there will be loud opposition from those who oppose, the re-zoning for the new shopping area that will include the TJ's will be passed by the zoning board.

I think this is right. Nobody is heel dragging, rather the developers have been going very slowly trying to build up neighborhood acceptance/support.

Also, nobody will actually confirm that the proposed grocery store is a TJs. TJs and the developer both "no comment" that question every time it is asked. I think a TJs is the most likely suspect, given the small size of the proposed store, but it is worth pointing out nonetheless.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I think this project will get approved over the vocal opposition. An earlier proposal WEST of Holden got shot down but this is EAST of Holden. I think the planning board sees Holden as a "red line". I can't see how adding 58,000 sf of shopping at that location is going to affect anyone's property value or add meaningfully to traffic, the total SF of the new center is less than the SF of the giant Harris Teeter that is 250 yards away and if considered in the total context of Friendly Center and Shoppes at Friendly, I am guessing it probably will add less than 10% to the total retail SF capacity.

I believe that the developers have informally told residents that it is going to be a TJ's, but no one has confirmed it in writing.

It will be kind of weird to see TJ's, Whole Foods, and the Taj-ma-Teeter all within a .5 mile of each other.

Commercial real estate buddy of mine confirmed TJ's has looked at the former Border's site in Thruway. Welcome! No neighborhood concerns in Winston. ;)

Just drove through that intersection at Friendly and Hobbs, which corner did they want to put TJ?

BTW, ole Greensboro gets a bum rap, great spot to live after you are 30 years old.

http://visitgreensboro.com/

Last edited:
Back