• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

Huh?
Hard to believe some of the ideas I read here.
But then again I have to remember it’s the Tunnels and anything and everything is possible.
Kind of like Alice in Wonderland…….no wait…..

I thought my statement was perfectly cogent and reasonable. Which part didn’t you understand?

Or we could not change everything about society for .1% of the population

This. Sometimes we need to apply some common sense on these decisions instead of being paralyzed by fear that some small party might be upset. Allowing someone who spent most of their life as a male to go and compete against women in spite of obvious physiological advantages fails the common sense test spectacularly.

By that same token, maybe it’s not national newsworthy every time these kinds of things occur since they’re rare and a small subset of the population.

By that same token, maybe it’s not national newsworthy every time these kinds of things occur since they’re rare and a small subset of the population.

And it’s only a subset of trans athletes as well.

Wait, I’m slow. Is Mdmh suggesting that we just have single sporting competitions not separated by gender?

Wait, I’m slow. Is Mdmh suggesting that we just have single sporting competitions not separated by gender?

I haven’t made any suggestion. I just posed a question regarding the purpose of separating male and female sports if we stop defining gender by physiological differences.

Adult transwomen, by nature of their male physiology, will have a mechanical advantage over adult women in most sports. It stands to reason that if we allow *competent* transwomen to compete in higher level female sports, they will most likely dominate those respective sports and upset the previous competitive balance.

How do we as a society affirm the identity and rights of transwomen while still maintaining competitive fairness in sports?

Last edited:
It would be really easy and sensible to convert non-team sports to morphometric based size classes and perhaps blood chemistry classes. We already do it for wrestling and boxing and there are age classes for swimming and running competitions. Just apply the same kind of logic to non team sports and the whole competition is leveled for everyone: male, female, non-binary, trans.

Yeah, let's shake up the status quo of sports that 99.99% of people who compete in them love so that we can make sure someone has their gender identity affirmed on the field of play.

Or we can just ask them to play the sport of the gender they had at birth.

Again, common sense has gone right out the window on this issue.

Common sense is in the eye of the beholder. Women collegiate sports have only existed for a few decades. It’s not like we’d be up ending a 1000 year tradition.

I’m not sure that it’s pertinent to the argument and it’s purely anecdotal, but I have an aggressively mediocre team this year. We have a very good girls team. The worst player on my team would be the best player on our girls team by a significant amount were he to play on their team. It’s just very difficult for me to understand the fairness of all this for those born as females in this situation, but I’m definitely open to evolving on the issue.

The solution should not be to allow for disadvantaging the biological females in their own sports.

I’m not sure that it’s pertinent to the argument and it’s purely anecdotal, but I have an aggressively mediocre team this year. We have a very good girls team. The worst player on my team would be the best player on our girls team by a significant amount were he to play on their team. It’s just very difficult for me to understand the fairness of all this for those born as females in this situation, but I’m definitely open to evolving on the issue.

I agree. It’s also not fair for Wake Mens BBall to set up a schedule playing entirely DIII teams. That’s why we set up leagues and divisions, that’s why there are weight and age classes in many sports too, to create parity, or at least the possibility of an equal playing field. We go out of our way in many ways to set up equal starting conditions for athletes and then let ability, skill, and luck rule the day. Adding an layer of rules to allow trans and nonbinary athletes to compete is not that a big stretch. I agree that the current plan of just letting trans women join a swim team and dominate isn’t working, but rather than fight it or forbid it, let’s be open minded and flexible in how we address it.

I agree. It’s also not fair for Wake Mens BBall to set up a schedule playing entirely DIII teams. That’s why we set up leagues and divisions, that’s why there are weight and age classes in many sports too, to create parity, or at least the possibility of an equal playing field. We go out of our way in many ways to set up equal starting conditions for athletes and then let ability, skill, and luck rule the day. Adding an layer of rules to allow trans and nonbinary athletes to compete is not that a big stretch. I agree that the current plan of just letting trans women join a swim team and dominate isn’t working, but rather than fight it or forbid it, let’s be open minded and flexible in how we address it.

I’m interested in how this would work in team sports

Would your team be better with the girl’s coach in charge?

Back