• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

I’m interested in how this would work in team sports

Well, to be fair to me, I said non-team sports in my previous posts about this. Team sports are harder to sort out in my mind.

I agree. It’s also not fair for Wake Mens BBall to set up a schedule playing entirely DIII teams. That’s why we set up leagues and divisions, that’s why there are weight and age classes in many sports too, to create parity, or at least the possibility of an equal playing field. We go out of our way in many ways to set up equal starting conditions for athletes and then let ability, skill, and luck rule the day. Adding an layer of rules to allow trans and nonbinary athletes to compete is not that a big stretch. I agree that the current plan of just letting trans women join a swim team and dominate isn’t working, but rather than fight it or forbid it, let’s be open minded and flexible in how we address it.

ugh but it's soooo much easier to continue to marginalize transpeople with bad statistics and status quo args

Well, to be fair to me, I said non-team sports in my previous posts about this. Team sports are harder to sort out in my mind.

I’m sorry I missed it. I’m still recovering from Bym stealing my soul 5 posts ago.

Can't believe you pulled this here on makogboards.com !

You should see what I do on Mako premium.

Watching Blades of Glory and thinking about this thread.

We need to find a Democrat candidate to run on the platform of abolishing women’s sports so Trump can take over and everyone will be okay with it.

Let's try to be consistent here. If we are going to have just one competition for all, then there should only be one changing room and shower for all.

Let's try to be consistent here. If we are going to have just one competition for all, then there should only be one changing room and shower for all.

I don’t think there’s any need to be snarky - everyone that’s posted has acknowledged the competitive fairness problem of transwomen competing in womens sports. We need to find a solution that’s inclusive but also fair; The status quo wasn’t inclusive, the current state isn’t fair.

Oh fun, conservatives are bringing up trans people in bathrooms again.

This may be old school but the first thing my old man taught me is that life isn't fair.
I never have a problem with the choices that anyone makes.
But there's no "fair" here with transgender athletes in athletic competition.

In this case, there is no inclusive and fair. It's one or the other. And the obvious choice here is the greatest good for the greatest number.

I don’t think there’s any need to be snarky - everyone that’s posted has acknowledged the competitive fairness problem of transwomen competing in womens sports. We need to find a solution that’s inclusive but also fair; The status quo wasn’t inclusive, the current state isn’t fair.

Agreed. Its pretty tough doing the right thing for the first time (first few times). That does not mean you don't try to find the right thing to do because it's right.

No easy answer. I think I keep coming back to short term vs long term solutions. She is currently following the rules as set out. I still lean towards letting her compete under the current rules but not allowing records to be rewritten. Work to find a better solution going forward.

Oh, did I say something wrong? Please forgive me.
Why don't you just put me on ignore so I stop damaging your sensibilities?
Everyone with a brain knows I meant no disrespect.

His comment is because if felt as though you are saying being transgender is a choice. If that's not what you meant please clarify.

Back