• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

His comment is because if felt as though you are saying being transgender is a choice. If that's not what you meant please clarify.

No, his comment is because he likes jumping on my ass every chance he gets.
I understand being transgender is not a choice.
It is a choice to involve yourself in competitive athletics as a transgender.

Last edited:
I agree. It’s also not fair for Wake Mens BBall to set up a schedule playing entirely DIII teams. That’s why we set up leagues and divisions, that’s why there are weight and age classes in many sports too, to create parity, or at least the possibility of an equal playing field. We go out of our way in many ways to set up equal starting conditions for athletes and then let ability, skill, and luck rule the day. Adding an layer of rules to allow trans and nonbinary athletes to compete is not that a big stretch. I agree that the current plan of just letting trans women join a swim team and dominate isn’t working, but rather than fight it or forbid it, let’s be open minded and flexible in how we address it.

This is a great post.

In this case, there is no inclusive and fair. It's one or the other.

giphy.gif

His comment is because if felt as though you are saying being transgender is a choice. If that's not what you meant please clarify.

I was not aware that science had settled this. I know there have been studies to find a genetic origin for being transgendered, but nothing conclusive has been found.

I was not aware that science had settled this. I know there have been studies to find a genetic origin for being transgendered, but nothing conclusive has been found.

It hasn’t, and the social-group clustering commonly associated with rapid onset gender dysphoria suggests that, for at least some portion of people with it, it is not biologically driven.

It hasn’t, and the social-group clustering commonly associated with rapid onset gender dysphoria suggests that, for at least some portion of people with it, it is not biologically driven.

Ouch. You’re telling on yourself here. These people believe being trans is contagious but COVID isn’t. Hell is a place where people believe Ben Shaprio’s interpretation of your research.

Is Transgenderism in Teens Contagious?

https://catholiccitizens.org/news/81419/is-transgenderism-in-teens-contagious/

“The study, “Rapid-onset Gender Dysphoria in Adolescents and Young Adults: A Study of Parental Report,” was authored by Dr. Lisa Littman. Here’s what she wrote about the connection between teens’ coming to identify as transgender and the influence of social media and peer pressure:

The elevated number of friends per friendship group who became transgender-identified, the pattern of cluster outbreaks of transgender-identification in these friendship groups, the substantial percentage of friendship groups where the majority of the members became transgender-identified, and the peer group dynamics observed all serve to support the plausibility of social and peer contagion for [rapid-onset gender dysphoria].

In other words, Littman’s research led her to believe, as columnist Ben Shapiro wrote, “that friends and online sources could spread certain beliefs. Examples include the belief that non-specific symptoms such as feeling uncomfortable in their own skins or feeling like they don’t fit in – which could be a part of normal puberty or associated with trauma – should be perceived as gender dysphoria…””

It is not recognized by any major professional association as a valid mental health diagnosis, and its use has been discouraged by the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, and other medical organizations due to a lack of reputable scientific evidence for the concept.[2][3]

prove me wrong birdie

I’ve laid out an inclusive and fair way to handle non team sports like swimming, track and field, etc. (the sports where this issues repeatedly arises) repeatedly on this thread….set up competitions divisions not based on gender but on morphometrics like height, or weight, or lung capacity, or even testosterone in the blood. Have a read and get back to me on why that simply won’t work?

If the number 8 and 9 guys on the Wake Tennis team decided to transgender and be allowed to play their last year of tennis for the women's team, they would both crush the number 1 player and one of them would probably win the NCAA championship. there is no flexibility or an open minded plan that would not lessen the negative impact on women's tennis. I think the only plan to prevent a destruction of women's tennis would be to not allow it.

If the number 8 and 9 guys on the Wake Tennis team decided to transgender and be allowed to play their last year of tennis for the women's team, they would both crush the number 1 player and one of them would probably win the NCAA championship.

Do you think that is a situation that is likely to happen?

Do you think the transgender women competing in athletics made the decision to transition so that they could succeed in sports?

I’ve laid out an inclusive and fair way to handle non team sports like swimming, track and field, etc. (the sports where this issues repeatedly arises) repeatedly on this thread….set up competitions divisions not based on gender but on morphometrics like height, or weight, or lung capacity, or even testosterone in the blood. Have a read and get back to me on why that simply won’t work?

You haven't convinced me and you probably won't be able to convince many others. But you are welcome to try. Guys who would be assigned to compete against girls probably wouldn't want to do so, and girls probably wouldn't want to participate in your morphometrics games either. But go ahead, organize your morphometric games and see who shows up.

We have literally watched it happen with swimming.

You haven't convinced me and you probably won't be able to convince many others. But you are welcome to try. Guys who would be assigned to compete against girls probably wouldn't want to do so, and girls probably wouldn't want to participate in your morphometrics games either. But go ahead, organize your morphometric games and see who shows up.

You said there is “no inclusive and fair way, it has to be one other.” That’s not true. Your post here admits that it is a matter of willingness to change things to be more inclusive and fair, not an issue of impossibility.

The WPATH is an advocacy organization and the APAs might as well be at this point.

"Not genetic" does not imply "choice".

The WPATH is an advocacy organization and the APAs might as well be at this point.

Anyway, you don’t have to accept ROGD to recognize the social-group clustering phenomenon, unless, that is, it conflicts with your preconceived notions of causation.

Anyway, you don’t have to accept ROGD to recognize the social-group clustering phenomenon, unless, that is, it conflicts with your preconceived notions of causation.

I'm sorry, I must have missed where you cited your sources.

You said there is “no inclusive and fair way, it has to be one other.” That’s not true. Your post here admits that it is a matter of willingness to change things to be more inclusive and fair, not an issue of impossibility.

Once more, inclusive in this case is inherently unfair, unfair to half of the population. Just ask them.

Back