• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Travis McKie

I feel for the guy. He has talent, he has had to play out of position and, worst of all he has had a moron for a coach. He basically wasted his college career. Which sucks for him. But it seems like a coasts a lot. He gets beaten down the court. One rebound yesterday is absurd. And his defense hasn't improved much if at all. I don't really blame him for quitting on his coach, but he could play harder for his teammates.

Travis is a micrcosm of [Redacted]'s tenure. Four years of Bzdkelik have extingiushed his confidence, development, and enthusisam. Much the same can be said after four years, with the students, alumnae, supporters, and the media. Ron Wellman made a horrible decision four years ago and created a cancer that has been allowed to continue to spread and permeate every facet of our, not so long ago, proud and successful basketball program.

Sure, focus on the bad stuff. Not one word about his sock game. Typical Bzzouter.

There is just zero hope with this lineup.

If I had to coach this group, then I'd start CMM/Coron/Travis/Moto/Devin. That lineup is going to get eaten alive on the boards (not that it matters because so does our typical lineup) and will get abused on the perimeter on D (not that it matters because so does our typical lineup), but it's balanced between two guys who get most of their offense by getting to the basket (CMM and Moto) with two shooters to space the floor (Coron and Travis) for Devin to move around.

That lets Cav come off of the bench where can play with a purer PG (Madison) and a true C (Andre), avoiding the spacing issues that come about when he's on the floor with Devin lately.

Good analysis

Hate to go negative with Travis but, one rebound? He plays like he had rather be anywhere other than on the court. Maybe the ankle is still bothering him and he should rest it for awhile.

I feel bad for Mckie too but it appears he is mailing the season in. Pitiful stat line, once again.

Travis has something in common with Bz.

None of the other players like him either.

It's amazing that a guy who was ready to leave and had to be talked off the ledge by Childress is now Buzz's pet on the team. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. Last I heard a couple years ago was that Travis couldn't stand Buzz, but it seems now that the other players don't like him, in part, because he's seen as Buzz's buddy. I've given up trying to figure things out...very little of what has happened the last 4 seasons makes any sense on any level.

Travis played 25 minutes against Pitt and managed a single rebound and a single field goal.

He's shooting 12.5% from behind the arc in ACC play so far.

Out of the Cav/Moto/Rountree/McKie crew, he's easily the worst defender.

I doubt [Redacted] has the balls to sit him though. Now that Moto has stopped shooting jumpers he's easily more effective. Then again, at 12.5%, counting Madison as a starter (2 of the 3 acc games anyway) our other 4 starters have combined to shoot 0% from deep - so mathematically he's infinitely better than them I guess.

Travis plays his best, when the team is on a roll (home games when the Deacs are pulling away). When the Deacs face adversity (particularly on the road), he checks out. Part of this is attributable to the coaching staff (who also seem lost when WF falls behind), but McKie is a senior, and he should be the one to pick up the team when we are struggling, and he just makes it worse.

but McKie is a senior, and he should be the one to pick up the team when we are struggling, and he just makes it worse.

He's a senior who has spent his entire college career being coached by a guy who is 2-50 on the road in conference over the last 7 seasons. He responds exactly as you would expect someone to respond who has been taught by Buzz.

Travis deserves some of the blame. Of course any other coach could have gotten a lot more out of Travis. But Buzz has coached a lot of other players and not all of them look this disinterested.

Travis deserves some of the blame. Of course any other coach could have gotten a lot more out of Travis. But Buzz has coached a lot of other players and not all of them look this disinterested.

Sure, he does. Most of the blame though is not getting out when he could have. He's still a developing college basketball player and his job is to learn from and perform for the guy being paid $1.4 million a year to coach him. Was he supposed to go out and find someone else to coach him on the side?

How many players has Buzz coached for 4 years? The answer: one, Travis.

Last edited:
You could look at his effort on the court and argue it's [Redacted]'s horrid coaching that's confused and frustrated him to the point of not caring.

You could look at his ball handling not improving at all in 4 years at Wake and blame whoever coaches guard skills.

You could look at his rebounding and defensive statistics not improving in 4 years at Wake and blame whoever coaches defensive drills.

You could look at his lack of developing any kind of post game and blame our big man coach.

You could look at his physique and notice he looks exactly the same as a senior as he did as a freshman and blame our conditioning coaches.

So either our entire coaching staff has failed him in every aspect of basketball development and performance, or it's simply Travis being content to be who he was as a freshman. And he was a really good freshman.

You could look at his lack of hustle and blame the coaches for tolerating it instead of sitting his butt.

titanic-deck-chairs.jpg

Slightly obscure, but funny, and probably pretty accurate.

You could look at his effort on the court and argue it's [Redacted]'s horrid coaching that's confused and frustrated him to the point of not caring.

You could look at his ball handling not improving at all in 4 years at Wake and blame whoever coaches guard skills.

You could look at his rebounding and defensive statistics not improving in 4 years at Wake and blame whoever coaches defensive drills.

You could look at his lack of developing any kind of post game and blame our big man coach.

You could look at his physique and notice he looks exactly the same as a senior as he did as a freshman and blame our conditioning coaches.

So either our entire coaching staff has failed him in every aspect of basketball development and performance, or it's simply Travis being content to be who he was as a freshman. And he was a really good freshman.

NAILS IT !!

Shocking to watch him....err....'play'. Never comes to the ball....actually runs away from the ball and then stands like a statue off in the corner.

It sad how Travis has been done so wrong by getting a very expensive education for being pretty terrible.

Back