• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

From what I’ve heard from old friends in the business:

Most restaurants (chains for sure) will be taking the temperatures of every employee before they clock in. 100 seems to be where most of them are drawing the line, then at least three days off mandatory if a temp of 100 or over is registered.

Mandatory masks on all employees while in the restaurant and some places will make vinyl or latex gloves mandatory as well. Some restaurants (probably not chains) will require masks while the guests are walking to and from their tables.

Most places will not even be able to reach the 50% capacity limit if they are properly setting up their tables to be 6 feet apart. One loophole they have found is partitions between booths that are higher than face level of a seated patron nullifies the need for a 6 foot buffer.

Most lobbies will be closed and bars will be off limits to walk up drink orders. Customers who are placed on a wait will be asked to return to their cars and await a text or call from the hosts.

There is supposed to be a mandatory 2 minute period after a table is disinfected before it can be sat, this will allow the disinfectants the time to work.

These measures look like they will last until at least the beginning of Phase 3.

From what I’ve heard from old friends in the business:

Most restaurants (chains for sure) will be taking the temperatures of every employee before they clock in. 100 seems to be where most of them are drawing the line, then at least three days off mandatory if a temp of 100 or over is registered.

Mandatory masks on all employees while in the restaurant and some places will make vinyl or latex gloves mandatory as well. Some restaurants (probably not chains) will require masks while the guests are walking to and from their tables.

Most places will not even be able to reach the 50% capacity limit if they are properly setting up their tables to be 6 feet apart. One loophole they have found is partitions between booths that are higher than face level of a seated patron nullifies the need for a 6 foot buffer.

Most lobbies will be closed and bars will be off limits to walk up drink orders. Customers who are placed on a wait will be asked to return to their cars and await a text or call from the hosts.

There is supposed to be a mandatory 2 minute period after a table is disinfected before it can be sat, this will allow the disinfectants the time to work.

These measures look like they will last until at least the beginning of Phase 3.

Sounds like a delightful dining experience. When is Phase III?

Yeah, these soft, slow half-openings are not driven by health concerns/reassurances at all, and without further support they are just leaving them out there to flap around and die, and guess who will be there to pick at the corpses? Not our fault, you re-opened and couldn't sustain. Now we can re-rent your space to some corp. and hire your workers at lower salaries because they're desperate.

Last edited:
Yeah, these soft, slow half-openings are not driven by health concerns at all, they are leaving them out there to flap and dry, and guess who will be there to pick at the corpses?

Exactly. It is all about booting workers from the state unemployment rolls. These restaurants are going to get crushed.

That being said we did a Porch takeout for birthday two weeks ago and it was freaking delicious. Had two friends over in the back yard and had a socially distanced Mexican feast. Even made some Margs with the mix they provided.

Yeah, it's all bullshit. Chambers of commerce are jerking off on it all though. Think of the (re)development opportunities.

Yeah, it's all bullshit. Chambers of commerce are jerking off on it all though. Think of the (re)development opportunities.

Everything is bullshit, and people are selfish, self-interested creatures. Realizing this makes the world pretty easy to understand.

Exactly. It is all about booting workers from the state unemployment rolls. These restaurants are going to get crushed.

That being said we did a Porch takeout for birthday two weeks ago and it was freaking delicious. Had two friends over in the back yard and had a socially distanced Mexican feast. Even made some Margs with the mix they provided.

We've done something similar with one of our favorite texmex/mexican spots, but man I wish the NCGA would get off their asses and let these places start doing liquor to go, would be a great way to help the margins I imagine.

We've done something similar with one of our favorite texmex/mexican spots, but man I wish the NCGA would get off their asses and let these places start doing liquor to go, would be a great way to help the margins I imagine.

yeah I keep seeing all my DC friends getting cocktails to go which seems like the best.

which spots you talkin bout?

No evidence, but I'm guessing ABC stores are killing it right now and there is no pressure from any lobbying to offer that as an option. In fact, there might be pressure from ABC lobbying to NOT open.

I have no idea if these are the dynamics or not.

No evidence, but I'm guessing ABC stores are killing it right now and there is no pressure from any lobbying to offer that as an option. In fact, there might be pressure from ABC lobbying to NOT open.

I have no idea if these are the dynamics or not.

No doubt this is part of it.

ABC stores are making a killing but the local ABC boards' overall revenue is down because they are not selling to bars and restaurants and that's what matters.

We try to get takeout once or twice a week, and only from local places. We spread it around, but we have hit up The Porch twice, including a big order for Cinco de Mayo. They are doing everything right and their food is great. I highly recommend them to anyone, now and going forward. Cantina was very good the couple of times we went also, though that isn't an option right now.

FWIW everyone I know who works or has worked in the industry isn’t rushing to dining rooms right now. Reopening now is going to do more harm than good to a lot of restaurants IMO, particularly in places that aren’t tourist destinations in the Summer months.

Did carryout from our local Thai place (Kin Thai Zabb) that was again pretty damn good. Talked to the owner and she was not planning on opening the dining room for a while. Too few tables, and no way to serve people at tables outside, and health concerns convince her this is the way to go. The Moe's 4 doors down is going to have people sitting outside and at a few tables for a while. Good people run the local Moe's...I don't feel like I am hurting independent restuarants by going there the once a month that we have carryout burritos.

Back