• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

True Detective on HBO

Yeah, I liked the season overall. I thought the season finale was pretty well done. Ray gets his vindication at being the father, Frank's rough life catches up to him and Bezzirides escapes. It doesn't live up to Season 1, but was never going to. Criticizing this season has simply become fashionable and that is what people are doing.

the truth is it's a fucking NOIR, so all that complicated shit was more like a red herring

frank's death scene was pretty damn good actually

people are just piling on at this point

it's not just red herring complications.

guy is a cop. he is banging a married woman and she gets pregnant with his kid. twice.
cop breaks in to her jewelry store and kills her. also steals amazing diamonds that could never actually be pawned. i believe the back drop was the la riots as partial coverup???
his illegitimate kids hide but see him and the other cops involved.
kids disappear into foster care. separately.
kids find each other later in life.
girl grows up and sees the cop again as she is a prostitute and he is now frequenting them. he does not recognize his daughter. did they bang??
he hires her as his assistant but does not recognize her from his party time.
boy is pissed and decides to get revenge.
somehow gets a job on a movie set taking pictures because you know any old dummy can get hired taking pictures without a portfolio.
boy starts killing people to get revenge.
girl is upset with him?
that all happens off screen, is convoluted and was only explained right at the end because they had laid zero groundwork for all of this as an emotional reveal. it gets even more convoluted and confusing trying to watch what happens on screen. tim riggins runs through "miles of tunnels" under the city only to exit from the one door the crooked police chief is standing beside?

Yeah, I liked the season overall. I thought the season finale was pretty well done. Ray gets his vindication at being the father, Frank's rough life catches up to him and Bezzirides escapes. It doesn't live up to Season 1, but was never going to. Criticizing this season has simply become fashionable and that is what people are doing.

it really is not about piling on. it's almost everyone finding fault with a lot of what happened all season. it's ok you like it and hbo has already asked him to do a season 3 because the ratings have been pretty good and people clearly watched it and it's created discussion about it. i agree somewhat with one of the reviews i read that argued a large portion of the reviews were people hate watching it. i think it's more than that. everyone wanted this to be good. no one wanted to not like it and i don't think anyone expected it would be as good as season one. it did not need to be.

guy is a cop. he is banging a married woman and she gets pregnant with his kid. twice.
cop breaks in to her jewelry store and kills her. also steals amazing diamonds that could never actually be pawned. i believe the back drop was the la riots as partial coverup???
his illegitimate kids hide but see him and the other cops involved.
kids disappear into foster care. separately.
kids find each other later in life.
girl grows up and sees the cop again as she is a prostitute and he is now frequenting them. he does not recognize his daughter. did they bang??
he hires her as his assistant but does not recognize her from his party time.
boy is pissed and decides to get revenge.
somehow gets a job on a movie set taking pictures because you know any old dummy can get hired taking pictures without a portfolio.
boy starts killing people to get revenge.
girl is upset with him?

At least 90% of the TD audience didn't follow this / didn't realize that any of this was going on, and or what it had to do what was going on onscreen. Just a fucking mess.

i had no idea what was going on. i certainly didnt realize most of that. i didnt care enough to try to figure it out.

At least 90% of the TD audience didn't follow this / didn't realize that any of this was going on, and or what it had to do what was going on onscreen. Just a fucking mess.
Yeah, they wrapped up a 10 hour series with a few minutes of exposition in the middle of a 90 minute season finale. They probably spent more time on overhead shots of goddamned twisty overpass then they did explaining the twins and the diamonds.

Yeah, they wrapped up a 10 hour series with a few minutes of exposition in the middle of a 90 minute season finale. They probably spent more time on overhead shots of goddamned twisty overpass then they did explaining the twins and the diamonds.

io_Anger_profile.jpg

the second season of True Detective didn’t intend to be as campy and whacky as David Lynch’s TV masterpiece, so we shouldn’t forgive the ridiculous plotting and outré turns. But artistic intent doesn’t really matter here. Whether by design or not, Pizzolatto has created a tremendously entertaining, campy neo-noir that will, years from now, be celebrated as a cult favorite.

i guess if it's supposed to be camp the writing can be forgiven. my problem is i never once got the impression that it was anything other than trying to be deadly serious genre television. an la cop noir tale with twists and turns and dialog that was wise and witty and real. it failed spectacularly at that so calling it camp that will become cult-classic is, i guess, it's one hope at this point.

i'll see you one and raise you

http://screenrant.com/true-detective-season-2-finale-omega-station-review/

Because the story was filled with characters that felt more like accessories than anything else, what took place wasn’t borne of a desire to tell the story of those individuals, but rather the characters were just pieces being shuffled around to suit the vague intentions of the plot, or to produce a perfunctory emotional outcome. Ray’s attempt to see Chad one last time, and the flagrant close-up of his grandfather’s badge or their token salute to one another is a perfect example of this.

Dude needs to keep twin peaks and breaking bad out of his mouth

Season was full of holes and kind of a mess... But I enjoyed it. I liked the dark tone and thought Farrell, Vaughan, Kitsch, and McAdams all did a good job w/ some mediocre (at best) dialogue. Thought the season started out pretty bad, but picked up over the last 4-5 episodes.

I'll watch it again next season.

Yeah that was pretty much a mess. Just when Velcoro and Bezzerides found their footing in the last few episodes as legit characters - along with Woodrugh for the most part - the mechanics around them were really painful. Magically appearing behind the exit door Woodrugh chose at random? Velcoro easily ditching the team then going out in a ridiculous blaze of glory? The old "survive to tell a lone reporter" thing again? Zero development of the two kids responsible? No character at all behind the main bad guys? At last Vince Vaughn's exit was fun despite the absurdly dumb ring-throwing discussion that had me looking for the fast-forward button.

Overly convoluted story, too many characters, and a pace that went from painfully slow to lightning quick from one scene to the next... Still have high hopes for the next season, and there were some redeeming moments and performances from this one - but overall a miss.

Why the hell did VV punch that Mexican bro in the face/instigate them in the first place? It seemed like they were about to leave him alone, I guess without a ride, but still you gotta think his survival chances are better walking out of there without a stab wound than the alternative.

Almost as annoying as the guy hiding behind the right door somehow and (worst of all) stupid ass Velcoro going to his kid's school. He should have pried the damn transponder off too, would have given him a chance to lose them, right? He's in a souped out mustang vs a huge SUV.

VV had the diamonds on him and did not want to give up his suit.

VV had the diamonds on him and did not want to give up his suit.

I knew that, but wtf did he even shout out "You want to give me a ride?!" in the first place, that instigated the entire suit confrontation needlessly. He had to know cartel guys weren't going to be nice all of a sudden and give him a lift back into town.

Clearly weaker than Season 1, but that was expected. Still thought it was compelling, despite being hard to follow and requiring the acceptance of massive leaps from reality. In the end, I liked all 4 main characters. VV did grow into his character as the season went on. Agree that they could've done a better job casting Frank's wife. I thought Rachel McAdams acted exceptionally well considering how far her character diverged from her comfort zone roles. Will watch Season 3.

The leap from reality that bothered me the most was how the low-brow Mexican gang so easily found and captured Frank in an untraceable vehicle as he was heading to parts unknown. Did the two thugs that gave him the passport, the weapons and the car, set him up? Did scarface set him up? Or are we supposed to believe that the Mexican gang travelling together in multiple vehicles randomly found him on a ramp in LA?

VV was a smart guy throughout the season. Knowing he'd be left out there to die, his only chance to survive would have been to convince the Mexicans he had more value to them alive than dead. And he could have easily done that by talking about the additional money he still had and could give them. But no, that would have made too much sense.

I think it had to be the Armenians. Scarface took Ani to Mexico, so it wasn't her. The Armenians shared a look after Frank left that may have been foreshadowing.

I think it had to be the Armenians. Scarface took Ani to Mexico, so it wasn't her. The Armenians shared a look after Frank left that may have been foreshadowing.

It was actually some next door neighbors that Frank lived next to 14 years ago. The 3 minutes that they were going to use to get them into the plotline ended up on the cutting room floor.

Back