• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Budget Proposal: Screw the Poor, the Sick and the Old

Ph, I would honestly like for you to educate me on how Global Warming has impacted my life directly. It has now been 11 years since Gore released his movie that warned of a 10 year tipping point. Still waiting. Also, Big Al bought an oceanfront beach house. I guess he isn't too concerned about rising oceans. Can you provide a bullet list? I would love to know.

I am also interested in understanding how your lifestyle differs from mine - to compare a true believer to a denier. What is it that I am missing?

Here are some basic questions to get started. I am going to skip 'do you recycle' because I think every city does at this point.

1. Do you use Amazon?
2. What about Hello Fresh / Blue Apron?
3. Do you buy bottled water?
4. Do you use cloth or disposable diapers for your kids?
5. Gas or electric car?
6. Reusable or disposable grocery bags?

I would also like to invite the other snarky folks on this thread to participate:
warak
TownieDeac
Shooschmoo
birdman
rjkarl

My answers:
1. I love it! Use it for all kinds of things and have dash buttons in the house for items such as toilet paper and laundry detergent.
2. Meals show up every week. Tired of all of the chopping and giving Hello Fresh a try on 3/29.
3. Just too convenient not to buy it. $4 for a case at sames. Use it for the little guys bottle and for water on the go.
4. Would never consider cloth. Get that shit out of my house. Literally.
5. 3 gas vehicles. Very interested in a Tesla Model 3 though.
6. Austin has a bag ban and I have reusable ones in my trunk that I always forget and spend $3.30 on bags every time.

My response to you was not snarky, in fact I tried to see things form your perspective and I concluded that you conclusions were not an unreasonable interpretation of the actions of our politicians. The only way for conservation efforts to be successful is if we practitioners make an effort understand the underlying models that those who oppose us are using to form their world view and by extension their policy preferences.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, I use Amazon.
2) I do not use Blue Apron or Hello Fresh. I shop and publix and whenever there is an option I buy organic. My grocery bills are exorbitant. I also gave up eating meat in 2001 because of the environmental and climate impact of meat production (I do eat shellfish, but they are basically marine insects and are therefore a highly efficient form of protein production and consumption).
3) I almost never buy bottled water, unless I am in a place like Nicaragua where the tap water is not safe for me to drink.
4) I cloth diapered both my daughters until they were each about 18 months old. We used organic toxin free cotton, washed the diapers at home and line dried them in the yard.
5) I have a gas vehicle, my ex-wife won the Prius in our divorce.
6) Always use reusable grocery bags. I also refuse plastic straws at restaurants and bring my own tupperware in case there are left-overs to take home.

Can I play?

1. I use Amazon and have a couple of dash buttons for things I forget to grab at the store. - 1. Dish detergent and 2. Bar soap
2. I go to the grocery store the day I cook (or the day before if I need to prep in advance). I have an HT very close to my office.
3. I'll buy a bottle and then reuse it for months. When I'm on a trip, I'll buy more bottled water.
4. We used disposable diapers. Cloth seemed very gross.
5. I have a gas vehicle. My next car might be electric, but I still have some concerns about their longevity.
6. I use reusable bags when I can remember. I recycle the plastic bags if I use those.

Can I play?

1. I use Amazon and have a couple of dash buttons for things I forget to grab at the store. - 1. Dish detergent and 2. Bar soap
2. I go to the grocery store the day I cook (or the day before if I need to prep in advance). I have an HT very close to my office.
3. I'll buy a bottle and then reuse it for months. When I'm on a trip, I'll buy more bottled water.
4. We used disposable diapers. Cloth seemed very gross.
5. I have a gas vehicle. My next car might be electric, but I still have some concerns about their longevity.
6. I use reusable bags when I can remember. I recycle the plastic bags if I use those.

Cloth diapering was not gross, especially for the first ~12-15 months. Once solid food makes up >80% of the diet, it got a bit on the smelly side but they were never hard to clean. My girls probably suffered through mode diaper rash than the average disposable diaper wearer, but adversity builds character.

1. Absolutely
2. Def. do Blue Apron, lifesaver
3. Yep, but drink tap or Brita at home/work but do have some on hand for emergencies/guests and I'll buy bottles when i'm out and about and forgot my bottle or don't have it for some reason (events or whatever).
4. Disposable - tried cloth but kiddo had really sensitive skin and we just couldn't keep her dry enough to avoid bad rashes. Just became logistically untenable
5. Two gas cars but only because hybrids and electrics currently available are too expensive and/or not practical
6. Reusable when we remember them

i don't know what the laws and regulations are but are you suggesting he recall the secret service and fortify Trump Tower on his own dime?

I'm fine with him getting Secret Service protection as President and for his primary resident and for his wife and children.

I'm not fine with him getting Secret Service protection as a private security for his business interests and for a split family. That's abuse.

Whoa, pinocha loves in Austin too? Catamount and Pinocha in the same city as Brasky and me!? Doubt we hang in the same quarters.

Here are the 66 programs eliminated in Trump's budget

President Trump's fiscal 2018 budget proposal would completely eliminate 66 federal programs, for a savings of $26.7 billion.

Some of the programs would receive funding for 2018 as part of a phasing-out plan.

Here are the programs the administration wants on the chopping block.

Agriculture Department — $855 million

· McGovern-Dole International Food for Education

· Rural Business-Cooperative Service

· Rural Water and Waste Disposal Program Account

· Single Family Housing Direct Loans

Commerce Department — $633 million

· Economic Development Administration

· Manufacturing Extension Partnership

· Minority Business Development Agency

· National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Grants and Education

Education Department — $4.976 billion

· 21st Century Community Learning Centers

· Comprehensive Literacy Development Grants

· Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

· Impact Aid Payments for Federal Property

· International Education

· Strengthening Institutions

· Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants

· Supporting Effective Instruction State Grants

· Teacher Quality Partnership

Energy Department — $398 million

· Advanced Research Projects Agency—Energy

· Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Loan Program and Title 17 Innovative Technology Loan Guarantee Program

· Mixed Oxide Fuel Fabrication Facility

Health and Human Services — $4.834 billion

· Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality

· Community Services Block Grant

· Health Professions and Nursing Training Programs

· Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

Homeland Security — $235 million

· Flood Hazard Mapping and Risk Analysis Program

· Transportation Security Administration Law Enforcement Grants

Housing and Urban Development — $4.123 billion

· Choice Neighborhoods

· Community Development Block

· HOME Investment Partnerships Program

· Self-Help and Assisted Homeownership Opportunity Program Account

Interior Department — $122 million

· Abandoned Mine Land Grants

· Heritage Partnership Program

· National Wildlife Refuge Fund

Justice Department — $210 million

· State Criminal Alien Assistance Program

Labor Department — $527 million

· Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Training

· OSHA Training Grants

· Senior Community Service Employment Program

State Department and USAID — $4.256 billion

· Development Assistance

Earmarked Appropriations for Non-Profit Organizations

· The Asia Foundation

· East-West Center

· P.L. 480 Title II Food Aid

State Department, USAID, and Treasury Department — $1.59 billion

· Green Climate Fund and Global Climate Change Initiative

Transportation Department — $499 million

· National Infrastructure Investments (TIGER)

Treasury Department — $43 million

· Global Agriculture and Food Security Program

Environmental Protection Agency — $493 million

· Energy Star and Voluntary Climate Programs

· Geographic Programs

National Aeronautics and Space Administration — $269 million

· Five Earth Science Missions

· Office of Education

Other Independent Agencies — $2.683 billion

· Chemical Safety Board

· Corporation for National and Community Service

· Corporation for Public Broadcasting

· Institute of Museum and Library Services

International Development Foundations

· African Development Foundation

· Inter-American Foundation

· Legal Services Corporation

· National Endowment for the Arts

· National Endowment for the Humanities

· Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation

· Overseas Private Investment Corporation

Regional Commissions

· Appalachian Regional Commission

· Delta Regional Authority

· Denali Commission

· Northern Border Regional Commission

· U.S. Institute of Peace

· U.S. Trade and Development Agency

· Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/334768-here-are-the-66-programs-eliminated-in-trumps-budget

Whoa, pinocha loves in Austin too? Catamount and Pinocha in the same city as Brasky and me!? Doubt we hang in the same quarters.

Assuming you're a drinker I wouldn't be surprised if we have been at the same bar at the same time. Are you north/south or east Austin?

Ph, I would honestly like for you to educate me on how Global Warming has impacted my life directly. It has now been 11 years since Gore released his movie that warned of a 10 year tipping point. Still waiting. Also, Big Al bought an oceanfront beach house. I guess he isn't too concerned about rising oceans. Can you provide a bullet list? I would love to know.

I am also interested in understanding how your lifestyle differs from mine - to compare a true believer to a denier. What is it that I am missing?

Here are some basic questions to get started. I am going to skip 'do you recycle' because I think every city does at this point.

1. Do you use Amazon?
5. Gas or electric car?

I would also like to invite the other snarky folks on this thread to participate:
warak
TownieDeac
Shooschmoo
birdman
rjkarl

My answers:
1. I love it! Use it for all kinds of things and have dash buttons in the house for items such as toilet paper and laundry detergent.
2. Meals show up every week. Tired of all of the chopping and giving Hello Fresh a try on 3/29.
3. Just too convenient not to buy it. $4 for a case at sames. Use it for the little guys bottle and for water on the go.
4. Would never consider cloth. Get that shit out of my house. Literally.
5. 3 gas vehicles. Very interested in a Tesla Model 3 though.
6. Austin has a bag ban and I have reusable ones in my trunk that I always forget and spend $3.30 on bags every time.

1. Use Amazon all the time because #'Merica. Prime now is the Bomb.com
2. I don't cook so no. My girl cooks for me, or I will pay for the meal out.
3. I drink tap water because mama didn't raise no bitch.
4. I drive a Jeep Rubicon because mama didn't raise no bitch.
5. Yes because Austin makes me, but I think it is a generally good idea that other cities should also adopt.

1. Do you use Amazon?

Almost never buy anything from them.

Have never and likely will never use them

It's a rip off and silly. I don't buy bottled water at home or while dining or drinking out.

No kids

5. Gas or electric car?

Have a gas car but don't drive much at all. When this one falls apart, I'll get a hybrid of totally electric. I'm past changing cars every couple of years. Changing often is also a waste of materials.

Reusable grocery bags.

Pinocha, the board and the world thanks you for recycling my shit by eating so much of it.

Assuming you're a drinker I wouldn't be surprised if we have been at the same bar at the same time. Are you north/south or east Austin?

Eastside dawg (both of us) we live in Cherrywood off Manor about three blocks from each other

Also I'd rather the earth fold up and cave in than to have to clean reusable diapers.

Not much room for policy discussion in the Trump era. I see the entire front page is devoted to threads about various Trumpian scandals and tweets and what not. This was the first thread I came to that seemed vaguely policy related. Here is an interesting article about what happens when you take a social welfare program and block grant it to the states. There is a link in the article to a more comprehensive discussion. States with large minority populations get really stingy with their block grant dollars. States where almost everyone is white are generous with their block grant dollars. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/06/race-safety-net-welfare/529203/

It's pretty much the same thing that happened with the GI Bill in the 40s and 50s, state agencies were allowed to determine who got benefits and surprise, black GIs in the South got nada. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Good article. But let's be clear. This isn't some unfortunate outcome of block grants. It's the point of block grants.

I'd like to see someone defend this:

-----

One woman I interviewed in Arkansas was struggling to support her family after her husband got shot. She wanted to look for jobs that were commensurate with her experience, but because the state of Arkansas required her to spend a certain number of hours volunteering per week in order to receive welfare, she barely had time to look for another job, or go on interviews. “The program is designed to keep you in a rut,” the woman, Raquel Williams, told me. “It’s not built to empower anybody.”

------

Forcing a black person to "volunteer" instead of look for a paying job? Call it what it is.

Back