• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump fires Acting Attorney General Sally Yates

I'm sorry if I've caused you pain, RJ. I'm not looking for an excuse to cause you pain, nor would I ever revel in hurting you. And that is the truth.

I'll accept this and hope it continues.

Anyone else find RJ's stance on the Mormon church (i.e no respect for a faith) a tad hypocritical when he is calling people out for feeling the exact same way about Islam?

Anyone else find RJ's stance on the Mormon church (i.e no respect for a faith) a tad hypocritical when he is calling people out for feeling the exact same way about Islam?

Not at all hypocritical. My stance is based on the tenets written into the practice of the faith for over a century and actions instituted by the leaders of the faith since then. That's diametrically opposed to extrapolating the actions taken by a tiny minority and opposed by both the leaders and vast majority of the faith.

One is regarding actions in creating and leading the faith writing dogmatic policy. The other is renegades acting against the wishes and tenets of the leaders of the faith.

I realize this would take actual thought and it is beyond Catamount's capability of comprehension, but those who have cognitive reasoning would understands this clear and simple concept.

Come on, RJ. You could literally plug in the name of almost any religious or governmental body on earth into your post above and reach the conclusion you reached yesterday about the Mormon church - that it is a [Insert Word Describing Institution] not worthy of any respect.

It's ok. You got way out over your skis and tumbled into the snow a la Mr. Wide World of Sports with some really odd logic. It happens.

And before you go all personal insult on me, I apologized for making you feel bad not realizing you would go on a tirade because myself and others didn't get just how sensitive you were about how the Mormons may have given your relatives a baptism they didn't want. That still holds. I didn't want you to feel bad.

But that still doesn't mean your position about the Mormon Church - that it is completely devoid of deserving any respect as a faith - made any sense. The Mormon Church does do a lot of good in this world. Like most institutions, it has its warts. But completely devoid of deserving any respect - that's just silly. For instance, Pew determined that an average Mormon dedicates 9x as much time to charitable work to help the poor than the average American. That is because the Church views charitable work as extremely important. Is that not worthy of some respect?

Finally, is there a reason so many of your posts seem to come with such direct ad hominen attacks?

I consider Mormons slightly above Scientologists.

When your "institution" is founded on racism and sexism, that "institution" doesn't deserve respect. The only reason the Mormons theoretically gave up polygamy was to get Utah into the US. There are still many Mormons who practice polygamy. It took being scared about losing their non-profit status to change their racial bigotry in the late 70s. Then, the church attacked Jews. Sorry, their history is filed with sketchy actions taken by their leaders.

There are a lot of wonderful people who are Mormons. Respecting them is different than respecting a church with that past.

If notice my "ad hominen" attacks are directed at people who attack me, like you. I would hazard a guess that for the past twenty years, or so, 90+% of your posts directed at me are steeped in insults, snarkiness and superiority. If you treated me with even a scintilla of respect, my responses to you would be different. But you have never shown any interest in doing so.

A perfect example of this is our "discussion" of the US/Mexican trade issue. Each of your posts is either directly insulting or passive-aggressive insults. It's OK to disagree but how you disagree is outrageous. Don't cry or put it on me when I treat you the way you treat me.

By the way, I was wondering if I was really offbase in my assertions there and discussed my position with about ten people. They included two conservative 20 something posters and a 60 something business owner neighbor, who proudly stated he has never voted for a Dem. Each agreed with me.

The older guy (who does lots of exporting of products and importing from Mexico and Taiwan) hit the nail on the head. He said if the guy is intelligent, then the only reason he could dispute what I said is that he would dispute everything I say.

It wasn't just that you disputed everything I said. In nearly every post, you had either a direct or snide insult. If you didn't do the insults, I wouldn't have responded as I did.

I've offered you this position dozens of times over the past two decades, but you have never been interested in accepting. Don't blame me for hitting back or cry about how hard I hit back.

Once again, show me some respect and I'll treat you that way.

Well, Donald Trump has been in office not quite two weeks now and it is already obvious that we need to get rid of a lot more Democrats in Washington. Fortunately, the same bunch of shrill radicals (Hollywood, Mainstream Liberal Media, Academic Elitists, etc) that helped put Trump in office in the first place are going out of their way to help the Republicans rid the country of many more Democrats in the upcoming Mid-Term elections next year when 25 Democrats will be defending senate seats....many in states just won by Trump.

After some of the most recent displays from Capital Hill Democrats....who no longer have a clue what situation they are in or why they got to this place....I saw where a $2 million ad campaign has started in Indiana (Trump won by 19%), Missouri (Trump won by 19%), Montana (Trump won by 20%) & North Dakota (Trump won by 35%)....where Joe Donnelly, Claire McCaskill, Jon Tester & Heidi Heitkamp are as good as gone next year. That gets the GOP quickly up to 56 seats...and that's just a taste of what's to come. A 60-seat super majority is hardly out of the question. Then, after the 2020 census with the Democrats only controlling 6 state legislatures, House redistricting is going to be a long-term disaster for the Democrats.

Trump & the GOP should be thankful for Hollywood, the uppity Liberal Media & smug intellectual elitists around the country (like many who are posting on these boards). They are fueling the demise of their own party with their haughty attitude and their contempt of the American middle class.

Last edited:
Sadly, BKF is pretty much spot on. They're killing themselves with this overreaction

No, just watched them for years and have seen the Rev John Mendez here in North Carolina trying to scare people for years & years with his Moral Majority junk. He is gearing up for another run on the Raleigh capitol steps here soon!

Wasn't the moral majority a conservative movement?

Well, Donald Trump has been in office not quite two weeks now and it is already obvious that we need to get rid of a lot more Democrats in Washington. Fortunately, the same bunch of shrill radicals (Hollywood, Mainstream Liberal Media, Academic Elitists, etc) that helped put Trump in office in the first place are going out of their way to help the Republicans rid the country of many more Democrats in the upcoming Mid-Term elections next year when 25 Democrats will be defending senate seats....many in states just won by Trump.

After some of the most recent displays from Capital Hill Democrats....who no longer have a clue what situation they are in or why they got to this place....I saw where a $2 million ad campaign has started in Indiana (Trump won by 19%), Missouri (Trump won by 19%), Montana (Trump won by 20%) & North Dakota (Trump won by 35%)....where Joe Donnelly, Claire McCaskill, Jon Tester & Heidi Heitkamp are as good as gone next year. That gets the GOP quickly up to 56 seats...and that's just a taste of what's to come. A 60-seat super majority is hardly out of the question. Then, after the 2020 census with the Democrats only controlling 6 state legislatures, House redistricting is going to be a long-term disaster for the Democrats.

Trump & the GOP should be thankful for Hollywood, the uppity Liberal Media & smug intellectual elitists around the country (like many who are posting on these boards). They are fueling the demise of their own party with their haughty attitude and their contempt of the American middle class.

Donnelly may be gone. The others aren't.

Yes, those are really good ones. Especially when he talks about how "hard" he hits back - very Trumpesque.

I also enjoy the ones with that sense of "I'm virtuous and [Insert Name Here] is a puppy eater" to them.

I read this as you will continue to be snarky, arrogant and condescending rather than having some peace.

If that's the way you want it. It's sad but your choice.

I consider Mormons slightly above Scientologists.

When your "institution" is founded on racism and sexism, that "institution" doesn't deserve respect. The only reason the Mormons theoretically gave up polygamy was to get Utah into the US. There are still many Mormons who practice polygamy. It took being scared about losing their non-profit status to change their racial bigotry in the late 70s. Then, the church attacked Jews. Sorry, their history is filed with sketchy actions taken by their leaders.

There are a lot of wonderful people who are Mormons. Respecting them is different than respecting a church with that past.

A perfect example of this is our "discussion" of the US/Mexican trade issue. By the way, I was wondering if I was really offbase in my assertions there and discussed my position with about ten people. They included two conservative 20 something posters and a 60 something business owner neighbor, who proudly stated he has never voted for a Dem. Each agreed with me.

The older guy (who does lots of exporting of products and importing from Mexico and Taiwan) hit the nail on the head. He said if the guy is intelligent, then the only reason he could dispute what I said is that he would dispute everything I say.

I've removed all the personal stuff, just to focus on the merits of what you have written.

1 - "A lot of wonderful people" who are just "above Scientologists" (whatever that means) and worship in a Jew hating, racist, sexist faith that is undeserving of any respect. Just want you to see how you are framing things.

2 - Again, Mexico stands to lose more than the U.S. in a trade war. Again, it isn't lost on anyone that a trade war hurts both countries - a lot. On that we agree with no question. I am a big time proponent of free trade. In a trade war people would lose their jobs in the U.S. and prices would go up. But those impacts in Mexico would be much, much, much more dire.

Mexico's GDP is 1.2T USD. They exported almost $300B to the U.S. in 2014. The next largest country for exports was Canada at $25B. We represent over 73% of all their exports. They imported about $240B from the U.S. in 2014. We represent over 51% of all their imports. China is the next largest exporter to Mexico at about $60B. By contrast our exports to and imports from Mexico represent about 12-13% of both categories within our own economy. And our economy is massively larger than theirs (our GDP is almost 17T USD). We have a massively outsized impact on their economy relative to their's on our own. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

What happens to Mexico (and by extension Mexicans) in a trade war with the U.S.? Trade revenues go down very significantly (we represent 73% of all their exports). Prices for goods imported go up (we represent 51% of all their imports). Workers lose jobs, families get squeezed and their economy falls into a very significant recession. Yes, we'd suffer some lost jobs, higher prices and no massive recession. It would suck, but nothing like it would for the average Mexican. We are a big, bad bully relative to them.

The day Trump made his pronouncement the Mexican peso plummeted in value. And nothing, RJ, says more than how the Mexican itself talks about a trade war. Namely, the Mexican economic minister struck a rather "please don't do it" tone. From a newspaper article - "'We can’t anticipate anything, because we’d be anticipating something that wouldn’t suit anybody, which is a trade war,' said the minister, Ildefonso Guajardo. Yet Guajardo also said that Mexico would be willing to discuss NAFTA with the U.S. president and explain the pact’s strategic importance to him." In other words, we are willing to sit down and talk with you about NAFTA, Mr. Trump. So Trump demands talks. And Mexico, recognizing the position he can put them in, says o.k.

Contrast that, RJ, with how China talks. That's because the balance of imports and exports as a percentage of totals for both countries puts China on a much better standing than is Mexico.

I respect your deference to your 60 year old neighbor. I'm going to just keep the faith that math really matters.

Last edited:
Donnelly may be gone. The others aren't.

Yeah, those others are going to get 340 electoral votes, just like Hillary, right?

You've already proven that you don't have a clue about the political situation in this country today with your solid 12 months of ranting about how Hillary was going to get 340+ electoral votes and mop the floor with Donald Trump. You have zero credibility, RJ. You should take your own advice that you offered to another poster recently: "At times it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

You neglect the very most basic concepts:

The US is 2.75 times as large as Mexico.

The US has over 3.5 times the per capita income of Mexico.

If each country raises tariffs to 20%, we can still afford their products and will still buy them. Many Mexicans and Mexican companies will not be able to absorb the price increases. Thus we are more likely to lose more.

Of course no sane person wants a trade war and there is no reason for one. In reality, the trade deficit is really low when comparing the sizes of the economies, the incomes in each nation and products being sold, the deficit is not bad.

The math that counts is purchasing power. We have much more than they do.

BKF and RJK are at the point in the movie where the two characters can't stop arguing as they move closer and closer to each other, finally giving in to the deep desire to make out and possibly do more off screen.

Yeah, those others are going to get 340 electoral votes, just like Hillary, right?

You've already proven that you don't have a clue about the political situation in this country today with your solid 12 months of ranting about how Hillary was going to get 340+ electoral votes and mop the floor with Donald Trump. You have zero credibility, RJ. You should take your own advice that you offered to another poster recently: "At times it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Except that's false, I didn't say 340 and you are also assuming Trump isn't going to fuck things up.

But Massa Bob, since you know what's best for black people and how they should vote, I'm sho nuf goin to listen to you are about this too.

Back