• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump fires Acting Attorney General Sally Yates

You neglect the very most basic concepts:

The US is 2.75 times as large as Mexico.

The US has over 3.5 times the per capita income of Mexico.

If each country raises tariffs to 20%, we can still afford their products and will still buy them. Many Mexicans and Mexican companies will not be able to absorb the price increases. Thus we are more likely to lose more.

Of course no sane person wants a trade war and there is no reason for one. In reality, the trade deficit is really low when comparing the sizes of the economies, the incomes in each nation and products being sold, the deficit is not bad.

The math that counts is purchasing power. We have much more than they do.

Dude. You are just out to lunch.

Here - this was written in the New York Times, the New York Post and a host of other media outlets.

'If President Trump makes good on threats to gut NAFTA and impose stiff tariffs on Mexican goods, economists say he risks a trade war that could lead to the very thing he is hoping to avoid — a huge surge in Mexican migration to the United States.

The result would be catastrophe for the Mexican economy: Recession. A dramatic weakening of the peso, even below the historic lows it has already set amid Trump's bellicose rhetoric. Soaring inflation, interest rates and unemployment.

"Mexico is smaller than the U.S. and can be harmed by conflict more than the U.S. would be," said Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a Washington think tank that supports free trade.'

If you won't believe me, will you believe economists? Can anyone convince you of the obvious?

Look at what happened to the peso the day Trump opened his mouth. It PLUMMETED against the dollar. Trump is the one making the demands to talk. They could have told him to screw off. They didn't they accepted the need for talks. They get it. Why don't you?

Last edited:
Can't help yourself can you.

No sense in replying. You'll just keep on with insults.

What % of our discretionary spending is on goods? Mine is very very low. I buy new clothes or electronics like once every 5 years. Unless restaurant prices are going up, a trade war will affect me very little. Murica makes all the craft beer itself.

In fact, I imagine mostly it will just hurt clothiers margins. People are already spending $80-$100 on dress shirts that cost $5 to make. The consumer isn't going to start paying $200 if the costs rise to $10.

What % of our discretionary spending is on goods? Mine is very very low. Unless restaurant prices are going up, a trade war will affect me very little. Murica makes all the craft beer itself.

We are a bunch of rich white guys. We are going to be fine. It's the poor and lower middle class who think their manufacturing jobs will be coming back that are going to get crushed :(

What % of our discretionary spending is on goods? Mine is very very low. I buy new clothes or electronics like once every 5 years. Unless restaurant prices are going up, a trade war will affect me very little. Murica makes all the craft beer itself.

In fact, I imagine mostly it will just hurt clothiers margins. People are already spending $80-$100 on dress shirts that cost $5 to make. The consumer isn't going to start paying $200 if the costs rise to $10.

But if you are paying $80, you will pay $96, but most Mexicans can't afford that kind of increase. Nor can Mexican companies.

Except that's false, I didn't say 340 and you are also assuming Trump isn't going to fuck things up.

But Massa Bob, since you know what's best for black people and how they should vote, I'm sho nuf goin to listen to you are about this too.

08-16-2016, 09:18 AM
RJKarl

Johnson won't get enough votes to win keep HRC from winning states. Originally, I put the O/U at 310 or 320. I think the O'U now may be 340.

RJKarl caught in yet another lie.

MAY BE ...didn't say it was. As the post you copied said, I put a number on it at 310-320 and said IT MAY BE...

Would you like a dictionary, Massa Bob?

Am I the only one who thinks the way RJ is responding to DeacMan on this thread is similar to how Trump responds to people who disagrees with him?

We do import food from Mexico. I imagine the CA economy would take a blow from a weak Mexican economy as well.

lol in la i'd guess like 90% of the produce is grown in mexico.

We do import food from Mexico. I imagine the CA economy would take a blow from a weak Mexican economy as well.

But we're a major exporter in food in general, right? What food are we importing?

i think most ca food exports are to china (nuts) and the rest of the states (produce). i could be off base though.

lol in la i'd guess like 90% of the produce is grown in mexico.

We get some grapes from Chile and avocados from Mexico, but depending on the season, we get a lot from the US. They usually advertise it if it's imported.

We import fruits veggies beer/beverages and snack foods

We export corn soybeans beef/pork beverages

There are heavy subsidies on corn making it nearly impossible to grow for it less in Mexico. This is a bone of contention between the countries.

Something that gets lost in history is that the republicans provided the necessary votes to goth get cloture (end of debate) in the Senate and to pass the Civil Rights Act by voting 27-6 in favor. 23 democrats deserted their party and were the "solid south" democratic bloc that opposed all civil rights legislation. The democrats held 67 Senate seats (of 100) but the southern democrats were adamant that there would be no Civil Rights Act. There was a filibuster. Senator Al Gore (Sr,) was one of the southern democrats who participated in the filibuster and refused to support any Civil Rights legislation.

It is ironic that the party which ran the Jim Crow south is now the party supported by black voters.

Well, the GOP was founded as the liberal party in America.

Back