• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Republicans are famous for crossing party lines to vote for Democrats. I can picture it now.....long lines of Republicans waiting to vote for Hillary Clinton.

And the people who believe that are the same people who have been saying that Trump will implode & his support fill fade away any day now....for the last six months.

it's been a popularity contest for as long as i can remember. not a policy wonk nerdfest. this isn't new.

I guess if the people think "THEY WILL PAY FOR IT" is a good enough answer, then so be it. I guess people just go for plans that a middle schooler could come up with now.

Last edited:
donald trump winning certainly will not be the end of democracy for fuck's sake. that's hysterical bullshit.

lol especially since the other party was saying the same shit about obama for the last 8 years

Clearly, but I would think there are some intelligent people out there that would like to hear how Trump will build the wall instead of how high it will be. "THEY WILL PAY FOR IT" doesn't exactly do much either.

Politics shouldn't be about entertainment. Sure, charisma and ability to present yourself are extremely important, but it's just been all about the entertainment factor this cycle.

I get why---it gets ratings, but that's not (or shouldn't be) the media's role in elections.

If "intelligent voters" determined election outcomes, Nixon wouldn't have won in 1972, nor George W Bush in 2004.

Rubio look better last night and flustered Don at times but not enough to do any damage. Why Rubio and others waited this long to attack Trump is beyond me. They must have figured back in September that Trump would be a quick fade and be gone quickly. GOP establishment has once again badly underestimated the tea party and evangelicals and this time for the first time it is going to cost them terribly. Trump will get nomination but just can't see him beating HRC no matter how bad a candidate she is. In one on one debates, she will shred him and if he insults her in any way (see Megyn Kelly), its really over.

Trump has used the big field to his advantage. Just divided and conquered. Not enough campaign talent aligned behind a single candidate and nobody was wiling to go negative early. Trump U is not a new issue. Mitt got slammed for his taxes, and for sure Trump isn't squeaky clean. No doubt there are pissed off people who were harmed by Trump's bankruptcies. GOP wannabes should have attacked en masse early and now it's too late. Dems won't be so kind and generous.

Not many, but more will than people from the left will vote for Trump.

Or they just won't vote or go third party.

People don't like Hillary. People are talking about Donald Trump winning as being the end of democracy.

I'm not so sure about that. A few establishment Pubs will vote for Hillary, but I think a lot more will vote for Johnson and a few will stay home. I think just as many Bernie voters won't vote for Hillary, though most of those will choose to stay home, but a few will vote for Trump because he's the other side of the populism thing. If it were Gillibrand, I think she'd get more crossover from Pubs. Gary Johnson should at least double last time's performance.

Trump has used the big field to his advantage. Just divided and conquered. Not enough campaign talent aligned behind a single candidate and nobody was wiling to go negative early. Trump U is not a new issue. Mitt got slammed for his taxes, and for sure Trump isn't squeaky clean. No doubt there are pissed off people who were harmed by Trump's bankruptcies. GOP wannabes should have attacked en masse early and now it's too late. Dems won't be so kind and generous.

Which means one thing: This election will be even nastier than recent elections....which were very nasty. However, the Clintons have at least as many skeletons in their closet as Trump has.....and the Republicans have always been better at nasty politics than the Democrats have been.

As ole George W once said: "Bring it on!" It's time to destroy Hillary and drive a stake into her heart, once and for all. The bitch.

Doesn't matter, as Trump doesn't run from those things. We'll just hear the same "I don't deny it, I'm a business man who used the laws that Hilary and her husband helped create, can't blame me for that; of course I pissed people off, I was using the laws to my advantage and kicking their ass, that was my job". Both Trump and Hilary are scum, but people like that Trump owns his scumminess as compared to Hilary trying to hide from and downplay hers.

I think my point is being missed. I am clearly not naive about what wins elections. The average person is extremely unintelligent, then you realize that 49.99% of people are dumber than that.

I guess I overestimated the intelligence of the Americans by thinking they would properly dismiss Trump once it became clear he has no actual political viewpoints. Political mercenary.

I agree, hitting him on things like Trump U are somewhat trivial. I think hitting him on his actual plans, or lack there of, could be effective.

I think my point is being missed. I am clearly not naive about what wins elections. The average person is extremely unintelligent, then you realize that 49.99% of people are dumber than that.

I guess I overestimated the intelligence of the Americans by thinking they would properly dismiss Trump once it became clear he has no actual political viewpoints. Political mercenary.

We've had two terms of W and two terms of Obama. Why would anyone still overestimate, or even respect, the intelligence of Americans at this point? We are a nation of political idiots.

So.....you're going to double down and do it again for the general?

Trump doesn't have to answer questions any further than he is because the GOP electorate doesn't seem to care. The only goal Trump has is winning the election. He points out his end game ("build a wall") and people hear it and say "oh that's a good idea and I agree with it, I like that point." These people don't seem to care if it's practical or not and there's no rationale required for a vote and Trump knows that. Whereas in the employment context for most of us you need to back up your broad phrases with substance.

I mean last night alone about insurance Trump just kept saying "Obamacare doesn't work, we're going to let people compete." Most voters don't want to see or know how the sausage is made they just wanna chow down and Trump is just giving them sausage while the other candidates are talking about how or why it's not possible to make sausage the way Trump explains it. When anyone says "how are you going to do that" or "why," it's a perfectly acceptable answer (for some reason) with a lot of GOP voters (in this case - democrats do the same more or less) for Trump just to say "I'm going to do it." People love to have someone take charge and claim they will get things done.

It's sad but that's just the reality of the situation. The Trump train is rolling and nobody in the GOP is going to stop it. For years the GOP has railed against establishment politics, used fear mongering to get people up in arms about Obama and how he's going to be a dictator and take over your guns and the world, and talked about how government handouts are ruining your hard-earned work making you pay more taxes. The chickens are coming home to roost with Trump and the GOP is getting everything it asked for. Made your bed, lie in it. Any conservatives complaining about Trump only have themselves to blame for cultivating an anti allegedly-PC culture and letting a demagogue like Trump swoop in and win the nomination. I say fuck 'em.

I agree, hitting him on things like Trump U are somewhat trivial. I think hitting him on his actual plans, or lack there of, could be effective.

I'm not sure that there is any effective way to attack Trump. The problem is that the people who are attacking him are despised by Trump supporters....and the reason for his rise in the first place. So more attacks from these people only solidify Trump's support.

So.....you're going to double down and do it again for the general?

We disagree on Hillary. She at least has knowledge through her experiences as Secretary of State and other political offices held.

I would be open to voting Kasich over Clinton if it came to it, but as is that doesn't really matter.

People think Trump won last night. There's nothing else you can say to somebody that believes that.

Conservatives have shown time and time again this cycle they favor a strong leader who will just "get things done" and don't necessarily want to hear about how they got there. Continuing to attack Trump for not having concrete details for "getting things done" is a waste of time. So is attacking him personally since he just says "I didn't do that" or "I didn't say that." Even when confronted with evidence to the contrary he just shrugs and people eat it up. Again, GOP getting exactly what they deserve. Remember that the bulk of conservative voters don't believe in climate change, don't believe in evolution, believe that radical Islamic terrorism is the top existential threat for the United States, believe that same-sex marriage should be outlawed, Roe v. Wade should be overturned, Planned Parenthood should be defunded, and that abstinence is the only method that should be taught in schools. Why would anyone be surprised that these people then vote for Trump?

We disagree on Hillary. She at least has knowledge through her experiences as Secretary of State and other political offices held.

I would be open to voting Kasich over Clinton if it came to it, but as is that doesn't really matter.

Hillary & her supporters gave you the last four years of Dick Cheney & George W Bush.....four more deadly years of an unnecessary war and the near total collapse of our entire economy. Just remember that when you go to the polls to pull that lever for her.

Why does he get away with it? Why do debate moderators not call him out on it more often? Why do the other candidates not call him out on it more often?

Imagine if you presented a plan to your boss in the way Trump does. He would laugh you out of his office/possibly fire you.

yeah like when they said last night that Mexico said they won't pay for the wall so how will you get them to pay for it. his response? "they WILL pay for it."

and weak-ass Wolf just let it go.

Hillary & her supporters gave you the last four years of Dick Cheney & George W Bush.....four more deadly years of an unnecessary war and the near total collapse of our entire economy. Just remember that when you go to the polls to pull that lever for her.

LOL. You are so dumb.

Back