• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Forgiveness

Nonsense. Your wages don't subsidize my retirement. The little I get from Social Security was contributed and paid for years ago, by me.
I would of rather taken the money and invested it. I would of done much better.

You think the money you invested is paying for you? What do you think they do with social security inputs lol

Your subsidized your parents. I’m subsidizing you.

Public education was free for a long time for a massive % of Americans who went to college. It was for your parents' generation, Pop.

Yes, when education was affordable. Today the only interest college and universities have is making a profit and building their trust funds.

Please tell me you are not serious. I for one would be glad to pay more taxes so people 18-22 can party for 4 years.
We could add a major on "living off the dime of others".
Public education should be accessible and affordable. But free?? Not.

Not 4 year colleges, but community college/trade school for 2 years should be.

We subsidize 13 years of education already. We need to have an end game where people at the end of that subsidized education can enter the workforce, be it more education or shifting technical skills/trade learning to the final 2 years of high school.

You think the money you invested is paying for you? What do you think they do with social security inputs lol

Your subsidized your parents. I’m subsidizing you.

Suck it up; the next generation will then subsidize you.

Not 4 year colleges, but community college/trade school for 2 years should be.

We subsidize 13 years of education already. We need to have an end game where people at the end of that subsidized education can enter the workforce, be it more education or shifting technical skills/trade learning to the final 2 years of high school.

Agreed; that would be an investment well spent.

Yes, when education was affordable. Today the only interest college and universities have is making a profit and building their trust funds.

Education was affordable because it was heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

By the bold, I assume you mean public universities were once not-for-profit? Or that the cost of running universities used to be less?

Data for this has only been tracked for the last 40 years or so, but the real cost of public higher ed haven't actually increased very much over the last 15-20 years.

"National four-year public universities have, per student, increased tuition revenues by less than they have lost in state appropriations, while simultaneously keeping educational and related expenses flat over the period 2006-2020, adjusted for inflation. In adjusted dollars, the costs actually have not increased over the last two decades. What has changed, however, is the level of state support to offset those costs. As state support has decreased, the effective cost to students and their families has increased. In essence, the reduction in state support is the equivalent of a tax increase on families paying for college. States are choosing this over raising taxes on the entire state population to better fund higher education (e.g.)."

Every public institution in America has attempted to reduce expenses and and contain costs while remaining competitive, and the narrative which suggests otherwise is harmful to a legitimate discourse about it. If you are interested in drivers of cost and changes in perception, I find this summary compelling: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidr...reaking-through-the-rhetoric/?sh=61fab3ca1d28

Education was affordable because it was heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

No, eduction was affordable because it was affordable no matter where the funding came from. What the secondary education system is doing today under the guise of educating our young is criminal.
I educated three children, spending an easy $750K to do it, two that went to public out of state institutions. That was 15-20 years ago. I have no idea how parents expect to make that happen today.

Last edited:
Worked very hard to live modestly so my wife and I could pay back our loans and when we did , It was a great feeling. And I am thrilled for everyone who won't have to do that. When good things happen to other people, I like that. When good things happen to a whole bunch of people, even better.

What’s WRONG with you!!?

You seem to think $1 in principal is fundamentally different than $1 in interest. It's not. They're both $1.

I don't know why I need to explain this, but I will. An entity loans an amount of money to someone. That's the principal. They charge a fee for lending that money. That's the interest.

I am saying that if someone has paid $341,316.73 on a $225,000 loan it's is ridiculous and inflammatory to claim they haven't paid back the money they were loaned. They did paid it back plus an additional 51.7%.

So don't borrow the money.

You seem to think $1 in principal is fundamentally different than $1 in interest. It's not. They're both $1.

I don't know why I need to explain this, but I will. An entity loans an amount of money to someone. That's the principal. They charge a fee for lending that money. That's the interest.

I am saying that if someone has paid $341,316.73 on a $225,000 loan it's is ridiculous and inflammatory to claim they haven't paid back the money they were loaned. They did paid it back plus an additional 51.7%.

No it isn't. The loan includes the principal and interest. They wouldn't have gotten the loan in the first place were it not for the promise of the interest over the corresponding time. That is basic time-value of money. Otherwise they were welcome to pay for their house in cash and avoid the entire process.

No, eduction was affordable because it was affordable no matter where the funding came from. What the secondary education system is doing today under the guise of educating our young is criminal.
I educated three children, spending an easy $750K to do it, two that went to public out of state institutions. That was 15-20 years ago. I have no idea how parents expect to make that happen today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidr...reaking-through-the-rhetoric/?sh=73cc6c821d28

No, eduction was affordable because it was affordable no matter where the funding came from.

Just demonstrably untrue. The cost of running schools has been affected by three things:

1) state support declining decade over decade
2) simple supply and demand (more kids want to go to college, partially because of federal student aid availability; schools need to spend to compete for students and to accommodate bigger enrollments with facilities, faculty and staff)
3) inflation

Sure, there are awful predatory for-profit institutions, but you're just wrong about the rest.

Higher education was affordable to individuals because states used to cover upwards of 80-90% of tuition. Now it's closer to 10-20%.

No idea what you're talking about in the second sentence.

So don't borrow the money.

This is what it looks like when TheBiff takes the L.

If you really want a good solid conservative talking point about the cost of public education going up, look at mounting regulatory burdens states place on public institutions. It's a constantly moving target that directly adds to costs that administrators have to deal with. Some of the regulations add some moral value, but many are just illiberal garbage. At least do some research though, instead of just regurgitating your golf course nonsense.

I am cool with this payback, but we need to address the problem. Kids are being scammed into getting bullshit degrees on loans they will never be able to be pay off.

Back