• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Forgiveness

Just demonstrably untrue. The cost of running schools has been affected by three things:

1) state support declining decade over decade
2) simple supply and demand (more kids want to go to college, partially because of federal student aid availability; schools need to spend to compete for students and to accommodate bigger enrollments with facilities, faculty and staff)
3) inflation

Sure, there are awful predatory for-profit institutions, but you're just wrong about the rest.

My four years at Wake cost a total of $10,000. 50 years of inflation makes that $75,000 for 4 years in 2022 dollars. Cost of attendance (per WFU) is $83,000 for the 2022-2023 year alone.

Sorry for not making myself clear. Learning that I can't be posting and doing two other things at the same time. Age thing.
I am not a fan of loan forgiveness. Borrow it, pay it back. 4 year college not for everyone. The number of graduates who come out with degrees that they don't even apply has to be enormous. We should be funding and supporting two year colleges and trade schools that train young adults for specific occupations. Last, our college investment was no brag; more of an astonishment looking back and seeing what was spent. It was a Team effort, each parent sacrificing, each kid kid taking as much of loans as they could qualify for and committed to pay back over a 10 year period. My thought is only how daunting it must be on all of you to have children to educate.
As far as no one wanting to do their undergraduate experience in state at Rutgers, can you really blame them? I couldn't.

My wife obtained two degrees from Rutgers.

Served her well, saved her parents a lot of money.

Not so bad.

They have or will pay it back. $10K will just lower the interest.

You’re not arguing that someone who borrowed $50K should pay $50K. You’re arguing that someone who borrowed $50K should pay $90K instead of $80K.

They didn't borrow $50k. They borrowed $50k plus whatever interest allowed them to pay the $50k back over X years, because of the time value of money associated with the X years. If they paid it back one second after borrowing it then yes they would have borrowed $50k. But they borrowed $90k so that they could pay it back over all those years.

Sorry for not making myself clear. Learning that I can't be posting and doing two other things at the same time. Age thing.
I am not a fan of loan forgiveness. Borrow it, pay it back. 4 year college not for everyone. The number of graduates who come out with degrees that they don't even apply has to be enormous. We should be funding and supporting two year colleges and trade schools that train young adults for specific occupations. Last, our college investment was no brag; more of an astonishment looking back and seeing what was spent. It was a Team effort, each parent sacrificing, each kid kid taking as much of loans as they could qualify for and committed to pay back over a 10 year period. My thought is only how daunting it must be on all of you to have children to educate.
As far as no one wanting to do their undergraduate experience in state at Rutgers, can you really blame them? I couldn't.

sent you some rep, but Rutgers is a great institution!

They didn't borrow $50k. They borrowed $50k plus whatever interest allowed them to pay the $50k back over X years, because of the time value of money associated with the X years. If they paid it back one second after borrowing it then yes they would have borrowed $50k. But they borrowed $90k so that they could pay it back over all those years.

So why are you so mad about $10K in time forgiveness?

I just realized that we paid off my wife's graduate and post-graduate loans a couple of years ago so I actually have a relevant opinion on this since my household income is well below the cutoff line, and you guys that are complaining about people getting a 10k break for poors are coming off as pretty douchey, even though I didn't get to take advantage of this and would've loved it earlier.

My wife obtained two degrees from Rutgers.

Served her well, saved her parents a lot of money.

Not so bad.

Oh I agree; as I do with Strick (thanks for the reps). They just all wanted to go out of state. But W04 did his doctorate there, the only spot he could afford. Also his spouse who graduated from their widely acclaimed PA Program and travelled across country to attend. Its just New Brunswick area has fallen into so much disrepair. Quite sad.

I just realized that we paid off my wife's graduate and post-graduate loans a couple of years ago so I actually have a relevant opinion on this since my household income is well below the cutoff line, and you guys that are complaining about people getting a 10k break for poors are coming off as pretty douchey, even though I didn't get to take advantage of this and would've loved it earlier.

I just listened to a left-wing political podcast recorded Tuesday night. The hosts were mostly dismissive of the plan. It was a good reminder that two nights ago, most of the leftist on my feed were like "LOL $10K? This isn't nearly enough." But it seems like the douchey outcry has galvanized people. A lot of the local progressives are now defending the plan instead of criticizing it. I hope boomer tears will fuel increased engagement on these issues.

I just listened to a left-wing political podcast recorded Tuesday night. The hosts were mostly dismissive of the plan. It was a good reminder that two nights ago, most of the leftist on my feed were like "LOL $10K? This isn't nearly enough." But it seems like the douchey outcry has galvanized people. A lot of the local progressives are now defending the plan instead of criticizing it. I hope boomer tears will fuel increased engagement on these issues.

joe rogan is left wing?

Because the time associated with that $10k has already passed so it has accrued.

But I'm not mad, just pointing out how idiotic this is, but nonetheless fitting for the pussy generation. Don't like what you voluntarily and knowingly agreed to because you made a dumb decision to pay $150k for that French Lit degree despite most people around you probably telling you it was a bad decision, but you were convinced of the critical thinking value of a liberal arts education? Just whine like a bitch until someone else bails out your poor critical thinking skills failing you when they mattered most. If Biden is desperate enough at this point just openly buy millennial votes, more power to him. It doesn't affect me one way or another.

Which is exactly why I said I was pleasantly surprised with the reaction from leftist media actually defending instead of adding on bashing.

Apparently everybody who owes money on a college loan either graduated from college with a gender studies or esoteric liberal arts degree.

There are legitimate critiques of the policy that come from both the left and the right of how it will be administered and what it addresses, but if you can’t acknowledge the good it will do, you’re either dumb or cruel.

15bbab92-ab44-41ec-a170-d68497cdaf04_text.gif

Punitive fetish. What else could explain such an overwhelming concern regarding others completing their financial obligations? It’s weird.

Apparently everybody who owes money on a college loan either graduated from college with a gender studies or esoteric liberal arts degree.

If you only value other humans based on how much they contribute to capitalism by producing profit, then it makes total sense that you would be resentful of educational pursuits that don’t produce excess profits. Half the white collar dipshits on this board don’t seem to realize that there is a whole galaxy of professions in between lawyer and lawn mower, and most of them don’t produce a profit. Presumably none of those professionals needed a 4 year degree if it would require loan debt. As I said before, this is all just class resentment of the government interfering with economic gate keeping.

Last edited:
Punitive fetish. What else could explain such an overwhelming concern regarding others completing their financial obligations? It’s weird.

It's crazy. Where do they think that $200-$300 a month is going to go? It's going to go to the local economy. Each person will get $10K in relief. Local businesses will get a share of that too.

Back