• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TV for snobbish cynical people

Try Sherlock. It's short (2 seasons with 3 episodes each). The episodes are 90 minutes each. I really enjoyed it. Season 3 is shooting sometime soon.

1501403_o.gif

I missed that gif. I could watch it all day.

That part near the end where he just starts stomping his legs and punching toward the ground is pretty much the most inspiring thing I've ever seen.

The correct answer is Breaking Bad. I don't know anyone who has watched that show all the way through and doesn't absolutely love it.

+1 for Archer

Justified is fantastic, and I think that it has enough character development/evolution that you may stay engaged.

Ripper Street on BBC America is also very good. It's a 9 episode miniseries set in Whitechapel shortly after the Jack the Ripper muders. It shows a police detective dealing with regular run of the mill murders (and the citizenry's sense of paranoia and the media's sensationalism that are still lingering after the Ripper murders.) I've only seen three episodes, but I enjoyed them all.

+1 for Archer

Justified is fantastic, and I think that it has enough character development/evolution that you may stay engaged.

Ripper Street on BBC America is also very good. It's a 9 episode miniseries set in Whitechapel shortly after the Jack the Ripper muders. It shows a police detective dealing with regular run of the mill murders (and the citizenry's sense of paranoia and the media's sensationalism that are still lingering after the Ripper murders.) I've only seen three episodes, but I enjoyed them all.

Haven't really caught on to the Ripper Street hype yet but I do like BBC America's 'Copper' which is about three Civil War era NYC Irish detectives. Has a slight Gangs of New York feel to it, but much better. It's really interesting to get a feel for early NYC politics and crime, especially during the Civil War.

I can't help you if you think the Wire is too contrived (I know you haven't tried it yet). The creators literally lived on the streets of baltimore to research it and I have heard multiple prosecutors, cops etc. say it is about as realistic as TV gets.

I can't help you if you think the Wire is too contrived (I know you haven't tried it yet). The creators literally lived on the streets of baltimore to research it and I have heard multiple prosecutors, cops etc. say it is about as realistic as TV gets.

As odd as it sounds, I think a lot of doctors say that about Scrubs, too. Some of the creators were doctors, so I think some of the story lines are their experiences as med students and residents.

I have a hard time with shows as well. Especially hour shows. My attention is nil, so I have a hard time with anything more complicated than Tosh.0 or Archer.

Don't like Mad Men, Homeland all that other garbage.

If you can get over a wimpy Steve Bushemi being a mob boss, then Boardwalk Empire is pretty dope. Lots of violence and tits to hold your interest. Its I think three seasons in, and with the rise of a young Al Capone, things are possibly still going to get better.

I have a hard time with shows as well. Especially hour shows. My attention is nil, so I have a hard time with anything more complicated than Tosh.0 or Archer.

Don't like Mad Men, Homeland all that other garbage.

If you can get over a wimpy Steve Bushemi being a mob boss, then Boardwalk Empire is pretty dope. Lots of violence and tits to hold your interest. Its I think three seasons in, and with the rise of a young Al Capone, things are possibly still going to get better.

Even if we like Mad Men, I think we can all agree it would be better with tits.

I will give it a try, as well as some of the other excellent suggestions. Didn't expect that many. Thanks to all, actually looking forward to a few of them.

Back