• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tyler Cavanaugh Commits to Wake

This thread is still about our new commit Tyler Cavanaugh, right?

Just checking.

I could see McKie and Roundtree working together at SG/SF kind of like Howard and Levy. Obviously, McKie would really have to improve his overall handles like Howard did and keep improving his shot.

I could see McKie and Roundtree working together at SG/SF kind of like Howard and Levy. Obviously, McKie would really have to improve his overall handles like Howard did and keep improving his shot.

A lineup with Roundtree and Mckie at the 2/3 would be horrendous from 3pt land imo.

A lineup with Roundtree and Mckie at the 2/3 would be horrendous from 3pt land imo.

Our lineup as a whole may be horrendous from 3pt land aside from CMM and Chase. Gotta maximize what we've actually got.

Some people will never be happy. I don't know why they want to take it out on the players that commit to us though...it makes no sense to me at all.

How tf can you be happy about the state of our hoops program?!?!? I agree we shouldn't trash individual recruits, and it sounds like Cavanaugh has some promise. That said, you and RJ are 2 of the most irritating posters on the board because of your blind support of what is a failed program and coach. If you'd lay off Bz's black and gold koolaid, have higher expectations than being LOWF and attempt to join the rest of us in what we call living in a somewhat objective reality, you'd be much easier to stomach.

That said, Cavanaugh sounds like a bit of a project who needs to fill out and get stronger but who has some skills. The comparison to Regan is interesting. Regan didn't contribute that much as a freshman, but it looked like he could develop over the next couple of years. Hope for something similar from Cavanaugh, and welcome him as a Deac. Also, there is no thread on the Scout board, but the list of commits has Devin Thomas as being a commit. This true, and did I just miss that? If so, that would really be a nice way of filling out the 2012 class.

Any good video of him?

An article on Cavanaugh from the four letter....

Tyler Cavanaugh's (Dewitt, N.Y./Jamesville-Dewitt) development as a player has followed a distinctly linear path.
As a sophomore at Jamesville-Dewitt, he proved himself to be a valuable complementary piece to the puzzle, consistently scoring in double figures and landing subsequent offers from the likes of Vermont and Siena.

During his junior season, Cavanaugh began to incorporate new dimensions to his game, handling the ball and shooting the 3 more consistently and so by the time he returned to the Albany City Rocks this spring schools like Fordham, LaSalle, and George Washington had offered.

He was far from the most celebrated prospect on the City Rock's Elite Youth Basketball League roster this year with guys like Ricardo Ledo (Providence/Notre Dame Prep), Zach Auguste (Marlboro, Mass./New Hampton), and high school teammate DaJuan Coleman (Dewitt, N.Y./Jamesville Dewitt), but according to coach Jim Hart, it was Cavanaugh and point guard Olivier Hanlan (Gatineau, Quebec/New Hampton) who were the hardest to take off the floor. Cavanaugh's recruitment grew accordingly as he became one of the most widely pursued mid-major prospects in the Northeast while also pinging the radar of a number of high-majors.

It wasn't until the final stop of the summer in Orlando that Cavanaugh finally got the chance to play a starring role. With Ledo, Auguste, Coleman, and even Hanlan no longer in action, the 6-foot-8 forward asserted himself as the leader of the team and went for 20-plus points virtually every time the City Rocks took the floor.

Once again, his recruitment raised according to the level of his play. Wake Forest became the first high-major school to offer him a scholarship last week, and Syracuse followed suit shortly afterwards. Stanford, Notre Dame, and Boston College could be the next dominoes to fall.

"I don't think any of his recruitment has been off," Hart said about the gradual escalation of interest and offers. "He's progressed at every level."

Hart knows a thing or two about high-major talent. The likes of Coleman and Ledo are just the latest highly touted prospects to come through his City Rocks program, while he's also had guys like BYU's Jimmer Fredette, who exceeded expectations upon reaching the college level.

"There are some guys with higher upsides," Hart said of Cavanaugh, "but I just have a confidence in him that he's a can't-miss guy in terms of getting it done."

While Cavanaugh now has high-major suitors, Hart says he still expects him to consider mid-majors including George Washington, Fairfield, St. Bonaventure, and others.

But no matter where he ends up, his AAU coach expects his game to continue to emerge.

"He competes, has the right mental attitude, doesn't have set-backs," he said. "That's the kind of guy he is, you know what you are going to get."

Some brief video.

http://elmira-corning.ynn.com/content/sports/556414/cavanaugh-lists--cuse-among-five-finalists/

Recruiting has most certainly picked up. In 2-3 years we will have enough talent to compete in the ACC. I am going to focus on the positives for now, even though I have some doubts about Bz.

WELCOME TYLER! You will love Wake Forest as a school, as a community, and you are getting a chance to become a part of bringing out program back to its rightful place in the national spotlight. You made a great choice, and this fan is glad to have you on board.

Another interesting article. This was written before his Wake Forest visit, but after his visit to Notre Dame. This should speak volume on our current coaching staffs ability to turn a recruit into a signed player.

Growing up on the East Coast in the shadow of Syracuse has given Tyler Cavanaugh a unique perspective on one of his other suitors.

Cavanaugh has watched Notre Dame play live at the Carrier Dome and several times on television. Now after an official visit to South Bend over the weekend the power forward has an even better idea of what being part of the Irish program would be like.

“It was great,” Cavanaugh said. “It was a great experience. I just loved the environment and the whole campus. Everyone is just so into the football and into the campus. I just love the guys, the camaraderie the team has. It was a very good experience.”

The visit started Friday when Cavanaugh and his parents arrived on campus. There were the standard tours of facilities and campus. Cavanaugh also sat down with an academic advisor to learn more about life off the court.

During another portion of Friday the 6-foot-8 prospect mixed it up with guys on the current roster in pickup games.

Cavanaugh did the same Saturday before the football game against Michigan State as the games took place on the main floor at the Purcell Pavilion. Irish commitment Cameron Biedscheid and junior point guard prospect Demetrius Jackson were also on hand.

Biedscheid and Cavanaugh hit it off as their official visits coincided.

“Cam was good,” Cavanaugh said. “He just always had it. He always wanted go to ND ever since he was young and when they offered it was like a no-brainer for him. It was great to be around him and I could see myself being a future teammate of his.”

In the past Cavanaugh had always thought playing at Notre Dame would perhaps be a comfortable fit for his skill set, a notion reinforced after sitting down to watch film with head coach Mike Brey.

Brey formalized a scholarship offer and stressed the versatility Cavanaugh would bring to the table.

“Because I’ve grown up watching them I could see myself in it,” Cavanaugh said. “It was just, again, coach really expressing there’s no real positions. Tyrone Nash would bring the ball up the floor and he was their supposed center. It’s just everyone being a basketball player and not being stuck in a position.”

Coming out of the visit Cavanaugh puts Notre Dame “right up there near the top” but a decision isn’t coming for at least another week. Wake Forest will play host next weekend and Syracuse, which has also recently offered, is still in play despite landing a commitment from four-star power forward Jerami Grant last week.

Cavanaugh could be ready to decide after visiting Wake Forest. Nothing is firm in terms of a timetable.

“I could possibly see a scenario where I’m ready to decide,” he said. “But I’m not positive yet. That’s the thing.”

Another interesting article. This was written before his Wake Forest visit, but after his visit to Notre Dame. This should speak volume on our current coaching staffs ability to turn a recruit into a signed player.

Wow... awesome. Maybe he fell in love with Wake right away on his visit to campus just as many of us did.

FYI, Syracuse got a commit from a top 100 PF a couple of weeks ago, and Notre Dame took a 4-star PF Friday.

Welcome aboard, Tyler. Looking forward to seeing you suit up for the Deacs.

Just wondering how a "project" gets offers from Syracuse and Notre Dame. Someone explain, please

Just wondering how a "project" gets offers from Syracuse and Notre Dame. Someone explain, please

We've offered projects before. Happens all the time. Scouts talk about "up side" and coaches get that tingle in their leg. Sometimes it works out pretty good. Duncan was a "project." If Tyler has the ability to learn the game anywhere near Duncan he could be very solid for us. That's my hope.

FYI, Syracuse got a commit from a top 100 PF a couple of weeks ago, and Notre Dame took a 4-star PF Friday.

Welcome aboard, Tyler. Looking forward to seeing you suit up for the Deacs.

What was interesting is that even AFTER getting Jerami Grant, Boeheim was still seriously after Tyler.

That's a positive in my book.

A combination of Tyler and Devin would make a good rotation at PF. Devin is a relentelss banger and Tyler brings mid-rtange and further offense to the court.

We've offered projects before. Happens all the time. Scouts talk about "up side" and coaches get that tingle in their leg. Sometimes it works out pretty good. Duncan was a "project." If Tyler has the ability to learn the game anywhere near Duncan he could be very solid for us. That's my hope.

That's not what I asked. Read again. I asked how a "project" gets offers from Syracuse AND Notre Dame. I find it odd that a kid without something to offer NOW gets offers from schools like that.

That's not what I asked. Read again. I asked how a "project" gets offers from Syracuse AND Notre Dame. I find it odd that a kid without something to offer NOW gets offers from schools like that.

And reread what I said. They see upside. He had a good AAU season. Okay. I get it. So we think he might become a solid player and we offer. Why is it out of the question that Syracuse and ND think the same. Maybe they have an extra spot they can take a chance on? Who knows?

Not quick or athletic with thick big legs. Bzz recruited me.

Fellas... I'm really, really, really trying to get on board with the culture change.

Wow, that was short lived! Sounds like a great get. A big man that can stroke it from deep - perfect fit for Buzz - allowing us to spread the floor on offense. Welcome aboard Tyler!

So I guess this means we're back to dealing with a "big" class cycle in recruiting. That sort of sucks. I was hoping we could even that out a bit.

Back