• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

Regarding the 1 second, hopefully this will stick in the unc craw for years to come much like the scoreboard brush does to our fans from the ACC tourney back in the seventies.

Regarding the 1 second, hopefully this will stick in the unc craw for years to come much like the scoreboard brush does to our fans from the ACC tourney back in the seventies.

I just turned on the FSU-UVA game and what are they talking about? The 1 second from last night! UNC couldn’t have gotten the play off and if they did I it would’ve had less of a chance of working than seeing monkeys flying out of Mack Brown’s butt.

Carter took responsibility for what he described as a "mental error" by hesitating slightly as he neared the UNC sideline.

"Honestly, I kind of slowed down to try to set the blocks up," he said. "If I would've just run straight out of bounds, we probably would've had probably like three seconds left. But I thought it was going to be the last play of the game. That was a mental error by me."

Kudos to Carter for owning up to the error.

Kudos to Carter for owning up to the error.

Clearly the coaches didn’t tell him to get the first and get out of bounds or just go down. They chose to run the ball. He’s falling on the sword for them.

Is Howell still the favorite for the Heisman?

That is the most responsibility taken by amy of the u*nc players. He is right. If he had run directly out of bounds, there would have been a stopped clock with two or three seconds on it. Enough time for a desperation heave or hook and lateral.

I fail to see how UNC thinks it would have been fair to be permitted to run a play with 1 second left. There are three possibilities that could have occurred at the end of last night's game:

1. Refs rule that the clock expired and just end the game (what happened, but was seemingly incorrect)
  2. Refs review the play and rule that there should be 1 second left. UNC lines up on the ball after the review and manages to get the snap off due to the review allowing them to not only get lined up in time but also develop a play to run (patently unfair when you consider possibility #3)
  3. Refs rule at the end of the play that 1 second is left on the clock after forward progress, they spot the ball, signal ready for play, and the clock expires before UNC gets set for a snap. (essentially UNC was going to lose regardless of there being no time or a second left on the clock)

Also, two other important things:

1. UNC was next to the action on the play where the ref signaled forward progress was stopped & signaled for a running clock. Someone on the sidelines should have been paying attention to the ref.
  2. UNC claims that the ref said there was 1 second left. If so, combining that with the ref ruling forward progress & the player in bounds, UNC should have been sprinting to somehow try to get a snap off. That you thought it went out of bounds but it actually did not is not grounds to get a mulligan to try a last play heave to the end zone.

UNC escaped their first two games with some pretty awful clock management in the final minutes. Mack (or whoever is actually responsible for the in game coaching ) is pretty terrible at that aspect of the game.

Serious question - why is the ACC office making a statement about a non conference game? Doesn’t seem like they have any jurisdiction over this one

It was an ACC officiating crew.

Serious question - why is the ACC office making a statement about a non conference game? Doesn’t seem like they have any jurisdiction over this one

Because Swofford is one of those baby blue fuckers.

The next word spoken to any of us by a 'hole fan will be "Manning". We shouldn't have worried about running up the score on them. It wouldn't have mattered. Insure the win and walk away. The act like Longhorns. That's why A&M won't have anything to do with them.

I doubt it, UNC is going to lose a few games this year. While our defense is improving they are not world beaters yet.

Next up on ACCN they're discussing "Is Wake Forest the Real Deal?"

They love Surratt and Newman. The Clemson dude basically apologized for saying Wake would play two QBs back before USU. That was it. And EJ gave Boogie a game ball.

Last edited:
Next up on ACCN they're discussing "Is Wake Forest the Real Deal?"

They love Surratt and Newman. The Clemson dude basically apologized for saying Wake would play two QBs back before USU. That was it. And EJ gave Boogie a game ball.

No discussion at all as to if they thought we were real

No. Not at all. They gave props to Surratt. EJ said he would play in the league. EJ said Newman was a top 2 or 3 QB in the league. Clemson dude basically apologized. The segment was 30-40 seconds.

After today, it looks like the ACC tiers break down like this:

Obvious best team
Clemson

Haven't screwed up yet
Virginia
Wake

Hard to tell
Duke
Miami
Pitt

Mixed bag
Cuse
State
UNC
VT
Louisville

Embarrassing themselves but could improve because they have the two best RBs in the league
BC
FSU

Horrible
Tech

We're staring a 10 win season in the face. Could be ranked at 5-0.

Last edited:
ENm6YY8_d.jpg

No. Not at all. They gave props to Surratt. EJ said he would play in the league. EJ said Newman was a top 2 or 3 QB in the league. Clemson dude basically apologized. The segment was 30-40 seconds.

After today, it looks like the ACC tiers break down like this:

Obvious best team
Clemson

Haven't screwed up yet
Virginia
Wake

Hard to tell
Duke
Miami
Pitt

Mixed bag
Cuse
State
UNC
VT
Louisville

Embarrassing themselves but could improve because they have the two best RBs in the league
BC
FSU

Horrible
Tech

We're staring a 10 win season in the face. Could be ranked at 5-0.

I'm betting we are ranked or right on the cusp this week

Back