• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G, 7:00 PM; ESPN3--On a TUESDAY!

He has explained the substitution patterns. Guys who play and practice harder get the minutes. Is some donk on the bench wants more minutes, he has to earn them. I find it to be commendable, honestly. Dare I say that Manning is establishing his CULTURE on this team?

I don't mind using "playing hard" as a criteria for getting playing time - within reason. I don't want a much less-talented player on the court just because he plays like his hair is on fire. We need the best players on the court. It is DM's job, and the player's job themselves with help from the senior leadership on the team, to make sure they are properly motivated to play hard.

I want Collins on the court and involved much more - he shows SO much promise! I want CMM and BC and Wilbekin and maybe Crab in the backcourt. I want TVH on the bench cheering them on. I want Devin dominating everyone like he can. I want Dinos rebounding and mixing it up inside some and then getting hot from outside. I want Moore providing minutes protecting the rim while Collins or Dinos or Devin rests. I want McClinton showing some defensive and rebounding focus in spot minutes and maybe Rondale can spot up for one or two 3-pointers a game. Is that too much to ask?

If we play like we did last night then the Coastal game will be very tight. We are projected to win by 8 as is.

Said during the game last night that Odom had talked to Ellis that morning and they are coming off a big win at Wofford, but lost their starting with g and sg for the season. Sounds to me the game got much easier.

Last night's game was disappointing. There is no reason for Wake to not win that game by 15+. I suspect both NCSU and UNC will blow them out over the next couple of weeks. As Pilchard said, good teams pound weaker opponents.

After Coastal Carolina, we will not be favored until the 1/10 NCSU game (and even that is questionable). Play like we have since leaving Maui, and we could lose our next 12(!) games. I don't expect that to happen, but even the most optimistic fan would probably only have us at 6-6 over that stretch. Brutal games coming.

Having said that, the UNCG games was the last potential blowout (in our favor) on the schedule... From here on out, I am firmly in the "just win, baby" camp.

Given the way they've been playing, we could potentially be favored against LSU. Not saying it will happen, but it's not out of the question.

I want us to win a ton of games but couldn't care less if we make the NIT.

The NIT is a big step, considering the position in which our program has been these last five years. It's great post-season experience for the underclassmen, even if the environment pales in comparison to the NCAAT.

looks like McClinton had a pretty good game, 11 points in 15 minutes. Hope he keeps it up.

Given the way they've been playing, we could potentially be favored against LSU. Not saying it will happen, but it's not out of the question.

Sure... If we win our next 2 games, we could be favored against LSU (especially if they stumble in the 3 games they have between now and then). But it's more likely that they are a 4-5 point favorite.

Random thoughts following a sloppy win. Did you folks really expect precision after an eleven day layoff and the introduction of CMM into the lineup? It will take time to integrate Codi. Please recall the return of Ish to the team after his broken foot. Hopefully, this will be a smoother and more positive transition.

DT, Dinos and McClinton accounted for 51 of the 81 Deacon points. Add the eight points contributed by JC and Moore and the frontcourt offensive production was good and achieved with a high FG%.

As puzzling as Manning's substitution patterns seem, he does have a system. Play hard and smart or sit. Seems reasonable to me and appropriate for developing a winning BB team, especially in light of my final thought.

The one consistent statement DM has made in his post game comments is in regard to the defense. The players are not following the instructions of the scouting report on the defense to be played against their opponent. Until this team plays defense as a unit for 40 minutes it will not achieve the results they or their coaches desire. Seems simple to me.

He has explained the substitution patterns. Guys who play and practice harder get the minutes. Is some donk on the bench wants more minutes, he has to earn them. I find it to be commendable, honestly. Dare I say that Manning is establishing his CULTURE on this team?

Good for him. Doesn't mean I have to accept or agree with his sub patterns. I definitely like the idea of rewarding hard work in practice, however, if a player runs his suicide drills super hard, but regularly screws up on defense in a game and is shooting 11% from three and 36% overall, I am not sure I want him playing a lot of important minutes especially at the end of a game. I guess rewarding effort is a longer term view though.

There will come a game where we will need TVH to play important minutes. Better to get him prepared now against lesser opponents than to throw him into the fire when the time comes.

There will come a game where we will need TVH to play important minutes. Better to get him prepared now against lesser opponents than to throw him into the fire when the time comes.

Really? At this point, we should never need TVH to play any minutes at all. That said, I can see why Manning plays him. He generally sticks to his man. Whether he can stay in front of his man is another question. But he plays that sort of scrappy walk-on type game. However, he does make mental mistakes every once in a while, i.e. throwing it over Wilbekin's head last night.

Missed the game last night but just looked at box score. Impressive night for Devin. 18 pts, 10 rebs, 5 assists, 5 blocks

A lot of the 47 field goal attempts is that we shot 39 free throws.

Indeed, good point. And the game tempo didn't seem to favor getting more than our 58 FGA average for the season. An avg that is admittedly a bit exaggerated by the first two games (excessive ORebs / put-back opps and the pace of the Bucknell game), but watching the second half, we did seem to exact a bit more patience in attacking their zone.

As BlackjackMc pointed out, the improvement must really start to come on the defensive end. Not only in terms of hustle but also in terms of applying the scouting report on the court to do a better job in exploiting an opponent's deficiencies and weaknesses.

Really? At this point, we should never need TVH to play any minutes at all. That said, I can see why Manning plays him. He generally sticks to his man. Whether he can stay in front of his man is another question. But he plays that sort of scrappy walk-on type game. However, he does make mental mistakes every once in a while, i.e. throwing it over Wilbekin's head last night.

I'm speaking more of scenarios that are less than ideal. Someone gets in early foul trouble, maybe someone is cramping or tweaks an ankle. Hopefully nothing more serious than these sort of things. I was just saying that I have no problem with him getting a few minutes in games like these, as I assume they will be reduced to nothing once we hit conference play and Codi is fully healthy.

Back