• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G, 7:00 PM; ESPN3--On a TUESDAY!

There has to be some crazy reason Collins plays only 12-15 minutes per game. It's a head scratcher.

This is why...

There are 2 things keeping JC from more minutes.

Fouls
Other players - DT & Dinos are going to get their minutes

Collins may very well take minutes from Dinos as the season goes on, but I still think this team benefits from The Greek's ability to shoot the 3. Yeah, he's streaky (and a minus defender), but that's a shot we can get pretty much whenever... And if he's hot, it's a huge boost.

Oh, and for all of his talent, JC is still a freshman that hasn't even played a conference game yet. There will continue to be growing pains... Great games and poor games.

Yea fouls and youth are the only thing limiting his minutes. If he could play the 3 he would probably get 10 more per game

The frustrating thing to me about Collins minutes is...I know he gets himself in foul trouble, but let the kid foul out or play with 4 fouls anyway. He's not going to learn how to avoid fouling by sitting on the bench.

Same deal for the dumb substitution patterns. I'm glad Manning is going to send messages, but there are ways to do it while putting your team in a better position to win. Hopefully this changes in the conference season.

If our guards were better shooters, the I think you would see JC take some of Dinos' minutes. When we're regularly playing 2/3 guards who aren't a real threat from deep, DM feels the need to keep Dinos on the floor as much as possible. This is also why Wilbekin will play more than BC, even though BC is probably better at everything else than Mitchell. Hudson and Crawford are both streaky shooters. Crawford's been a better shooter than I originally thought (34.5%) and I think Hudson's a better shooter than his 3 point fg percentage indicates due to the bad shots he takes. However, until these two can be a more consistent threat from deep, JC will continue to be hidden on the bench behind Dinos. Whatever lineups Danny throws out there, he will have to sacrifice something (floor spacing, defense, size, etc.) Unfortunately, that's the spot we are in because most of our players have a significant weakness in their games. Hopefully, he can find the right lineups, sub patterns by the time ACC play begins.

And if you think Danny doesn't care about having shooters on the floor, just look at the players coming in next year.

The frustrating thing to me about Collins minutes is...I know he gets himself in foul trouble, but let the kid foul out or play with 4 fouls anyway. He's not going to learn how to avoid fouling by sitting on the bench.

Same deal for the dumb substitution patterns. I'm glad Manning is going to send messages, but there are ways to do it while putting your team in a better position to win. Hopefully this changes in the conference season.

The problem with that is that he's so good at scoring and rebounding you want him to be available for our inevitably close endgame situations. He's too darned effective to let him foul out.

The problem with that is that he's so good at scoring and rebounding you want him to be available for our inevitably close endgame situations. He's too darned effective to let him foul out.

What I mean is, we don't really see him in those close end game situations, or even up double digits in closing minutes.

What I mean is, we don't really see him in those close end game situations, or even up double digits in closing minutes.

He was in at the end of the Arkansas game and had several rebounds and a block in the final minutes.

He was in at the end of the Arkansas game and had several rebounds and a block in the final minutes.

Yea the Arkansas and Indiana games are good examples because he was in for offense/defense subs with Dinos, which makes good sense.

No sense in worrying about Collins. We are only like a third through the season and he has already had some fantastic games. He is going to play huge minutes next year, whether Dinos stays or goes. Will probably start at the 4 and also be the backup 5.

If there is one thing I have faith in Manning to do, it is to play his stud low post freshman the exact amount of minutes he should be playing. If this is what our worries have come to, then we are in really good shape.

One reason that Manning pulls him out is definitely to avoid further foul trouble, so you could easily make the argument above that Collins should just play through it and learn to stop the fouling rather than trying to save him for later in the game.

But I think the other reason that Manning pulls him out is an attempt to teach him to avoid dumb fouls. Collins seems to fall for ball fakes or go for blocks while out of position a lot, which results in unnecessary fouls. As a result, Manning could be pulling him out of the game and limiting his minutes so that Collins learns to stop taking dumb fouls as a dumb foul equals coming out of the game.

Basically, there seems to be two ways to correct a fouling problem: 1. Let the player keep playing in hopes as they get more time on the court, they correct it them self, or 2. Pull them out of the game and teach them what they're doing wrong or limit their playing time until they improve.

Last edited:
I think Dinos is being under-appreciated here quite a bit. He fits the offense well and is our 2nd leading scorer and rebounder. 20-25 min/ game sounds about right. He hit a crucial shot in the last minute against Arkansas and we would've lost against IU for sure without his stellar first half.
Devin should be on the floor 32-34 mpg most nights.
Doral 5-6.
That leaves ~15-20 mpg for JC. That's a solid rotation. He needs to be available for the offensive-defensive subs at the end of close games so I would sit him too if picks up his 3rd foul before the 10 min mark in the 2nd half.

Missed the game but just watched replay. I didn't think we looked at bad as some here were saying. Shaking the cobwebs off after exams.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_4c1c4bc4-a3ac-11e5-958d-db55a10b123b.html

Manning is doing something right, because the change in Devin has been outstanding. He's become the real heart of this team, when there was a time it appeared his attitude would always be a liability to this team. I love the part about going by the Miller Center to make a quick 100 free throws last night, because 8 for 17 was not acceptable.

UNCG used the Hack-a-Devin defense most of the night. If he finds whoever worked with Dinos, and gets his free throw shooting up above 70%, that won't be a good strategy. As is, with Devin shooting FT's so poorly, it is a viable option if you have fouls to use. Coaches around the ACC will take note of how UNCG played Devin.

UNCG used the Hack-a-Devin defense most of the night. If he finds whoever worked with Dinos, and gets his free throw shooting up above 70%, that won't be a good strategy. As is, with Devin shooting FT's so poorly, it is a viable option if you have fouls to use. Coaches around the ACC will take note of how UNCG played Devin.

huh? dinos is a good shooter and devin is not.

i guess wf bb is back. people still posting on a game thread 3 days later.

Back