• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC @ WFU – Sat 11/12 – 7:30 ESPN2

In spite of everything, we were in position to win if the phantom holding call doesn’t negate a huge play. The disparity in holding calls alone was ridiculous not to mention all of the other bs. You can accept the “status quo” or you can fight back. I want Clawson to fight back publicly and at least make it uncomfortable for the ACC powers. I don’t see where we have much to lose. Coach K had to overcome a similar disparity in his early years and he did not accept the status quo. It can be done…but you might have to get your hands a little dirty. WF and Clawson seems reluctant to do anything.

No question that if our QB would stop throwing the ball to the other team we could have still won in spite of the officiating bias. The officiating bias just further reduces our already small margin for error. An evenly officiated game likely has a different outcome last night.

Last night also sucked bc, as usual, the Carolina Walmart fans in my section were the biggest group of classless redneck asshats I’ve seen all season.

Slight miscue? The dude has 10 turnovers in 3 games. And that was one of the worst turnovers, given the circumstances, in WF football history. He chokes in big moments, unfortunately. Still a great college QB, but just doesn’t seem to have “it”.
The thing that kills me the most about the interception on the RPO is there was a humongous hole that our rb could have picked up a huge chunk. Can't believe Sam missed that read

Clawson is 14-9 when WF is ranked.

2-5 against other ranked teams when we are ranked.

We haven't sealed the deal against good opponents when we are good. Three of those losses all could (should) have been wins this season. They were all close games.

With the exception of Clemson, we made a lot of self-inflicted mistakes vs. the opponent severely outplaying us. The only game we put it together was FSU on the road.

You could say we are elevating the level of talent and we will win more of those games in coming seasons. But right now, we totally squandered what should have been a very good season.

Now, we desperately need to find a way to beat Duke, and a Cuse team that has faded massively. If we get to 8 wins, its not a great season, but not a disaster. Especially if we can rotate in some younger guys to get some game experience. Losing out would be a huge blow.

Yeah. Hard to justify flying up to watch lackluster football in below freezing weather in a game that will end about 10 hours before I fly out.

In spite of everything, we were in position to win if the phantom holding call doesn’t negate a huge play. The disparity in holding calls alone was ridiculous not to mention all of the other bs. You can accept the “status quo” or you can fight back. I want Clawson to fight back publicly and at least make it uncomfortable for the ACC powers. I don’t see where we have much to lose. Coach K had to overcome a similar disparity in his early years and he did not accept the status quo. It can be done…but you might have to get your hands a little dirty. WF and Clawson seems reluctant to do anything..
Love the optimism but cmon. This has been said for years. It’s like when people say “we should send tape to the league office.” It isn’t changing. How long has Clawson been here? He’s one of the most vocal football coaches we’ve had and little changes.

In my view he has to fight it as he can with the refs, but for the most part incorporate it into the game plan. And primarily into the motivation of the players - you will always, always be disrespected, even when you’ve been a top ten team; this makes victory even sweeter when you’re willing to go grab it.

Easier said than done but this is why he is paid millions.

Yeah. Hard to justify flying up to watch lackluster football in below freezing weather in a game that will end about 10 hours before I fly out.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll come up earlier in the season next year when we’re playing well before the inevitable November collapse.

I may be off but I counted 5 holding penalties against Wake (one offsetting, one declined) that negated 89 yards of offense (including 10 defensive penalty yards). Carolina was called for holding once, which was declined as the play resulted in a 3 yards loss.

Love the optimism but cmon. This has been said for years. It’s like when people say “we should send tape to the league office.” It isn’t changing. How long has Clawson been here? He’s one of the most vocal football coaches we’ve had and little changes.

In my view he has to fight it as he can with the refs, but for the most part incorporate it into the game plan. And primarily into the motivation of the players - you will always, always be disrespected, even when you’ve been a top ten team; this makes victory even sweeter when you’re willing to go grab it.

Easier said than done but this is why he is paid millions.
Agree completely…that is why this needs to become a very PUBLIC campaign. We all know what “sending tapes to the league office” will get you. Perhaps use the next press conference to lay out this disparity and include photo evidence which is available. Make them uncomfortable

I may be off but I counted 5 holding penalties against Wake (one offsetting, one declined) that negated 89 yards of offense (including 10 defensive penalty yards). Carolina was called for holding once, which was declined as the play resulted in a 3 yards loss.
UNC 8 pens, 74 yards
WF 7 pens, 56 yards

Some of the non-calls were brutal (missed facemask on Turner, when they threw the flag and picked it up for DPI on Greene) and the two targeting calls were terrible. Johns in particular got held a LOT in the middle of the DL and it was never called. On big plays where he was getting pressure up the middle and Maye scrambled out of the pocket.

FWIW (and I would not have guessed this) we are penalized less so far this season (4.8/game) than last season (5.9/game) and are still top-20 in CFB in least amount of penalties.

The last three games though are 6.3/game, which would put us about middle-of-the-pack in FBS.

Damn, rewatched the game and watching the post game presser for the first time.

If Clawson felt this was a touchdown game and didn’t only feel that way towards the end, why did we, again, for the 100th time in a row not try to do anything to put us in a position to score at the end of the half? We had over a minute, we have a chunk play offense, we were clawing back…put some points on the board or at least try for fuck’s sake. Then, if maybe you go aggressive there, you can go conservative at the end of the game and kick the FG to take the lead (which would have won the game).

At least if you make the wrong call to end the half, you have time to fix it in the second half vs………oh, never mind. We are just spiraling right now. Terrible officiating, bad coaching decisions and while we are piling on, can we please find someone who can kick the ball through the back of the end zone on kickoffs?

Hate to see it. Thought we had a really good team this year.

I mean I can understand not wanting to be overly aggressive when you have the ball inside your own 10 yard line with 50 seconds left.

I mean I can understand not wanting to be overly aggressive when you have the ball inside your own 10 yard line with 50 seconds left.
Sure, I can too. But having a hard time understanding the decision to not take the lead late in the 4th, as well. It’s more the tendency of not trying to score before the half that I have an issue with. It seems to come back to bite us in the ass all the time.

We look foolish blaming this on the refs.

We should have taken the points to go up 3 and then Sam threw a really bad pick with about 3 mins to go.
It would have put us up 4, IIRC....big difference.

The officiating in the State game cost us the game FULL STOP. UNC anti as much, definite disparity in holding calls, missed face mask, we did last night to ourselves with crap coaching and decision making,

Back