• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNCC Scrimmage?

6 pages and counting after a blowout in a scrimmage. I can only imagine what this place is going to look like 10 games into the season.

At the very least we should graph the frequency of posts with fuck, blow, and suck over the basketball season.

The demonstrated haters will lose their minds after every turnover, every opposition score.

We're going to suck. This place will make Dresden in 1945 look pristine.

With everything that happened last year, no coach could have done apprecaibly better...and no 10 wins is not appreciably better. we still would have bene last in the ACC and absolutely awful.

The reality is if [Redacted] gets us to The Danbce in 12/13, you will frget everything you have said anbd say,"you I really wanted to give him a chance."

You aren't alone in the haters on this board.

I have no clue what's goign to happen. What I do know is that no coach has ever been given a worse hand at Wake since the 60s.

Looks to me like you are the one already changing your story. First it was no coach could have gotten 10 wins without luck now it's no coach could have done appreciably better. Interesting.

And, I never wanted to give [Redacted] a chance. Period. I am saying it now, and I'll say it then (and, even at this point it wouldn't shock me if we made the tournament in 2013, though I am not expecting it to happen). Furthermore, making the tournament will not make this hire a success. I expect to see the program elevated. That means winning in the tournament on a consistent basis. If that happens then I will proudly say that I was wrong.

Edit: Feel free to bookmark this, I already have.

Wise had started and been a star. We had no such players.

From the instant Drrick Williams stepped on campus he was a SUPERSTAR. We have no one close to his league.

Solomon Hill was ranked #27 by rivals and the #3 SF. Again, we had no one ranked that highly.

Your comparison couldn't be farther off target.

Wise shot 38% from the field and scored 14.4 points his senior year. I wouldn't call that a star. Also Derrick Williams was not a superstar when he first arrived on campus. DraftExpress had him going 23rd in the 2012 draft after his freshman year. He really blew up his sophomore year. McKie in fact averaged more rebounds then Williams. Solomon Hill was ranked highly yet he only averaged 6.7 ppg despite playing 25 minutes a game. Hardly a highly impactful season. Again I said the teams were comparable not the exact same team.

So yo uare directly saying NOTHING [Redacted] can do will ever do for you.

You've also admitted that you had no intention of giving him a chance.

This speaks much more about YOU.

We have a Top 15 recruiting class and it looks like we lead on two Top 50 players in the next class.

My bad , you'd rather have us suck so you can be right.

[Redacted]'s job from Day One was to let the program tank, set it on a good path , then have someone takeover.

Wise shot 38% from the field and scored 14.4 points his senior year. I wouldn't call that a star. Also Derrick Williams was not a superstar when he first arrived on campus. DraftExpress had him going 23rd in the 2012 draft after his freshman year. He really blew up his sophomore year. McKie in fact averaged more rebounds then Williams. Solomon Hill was ranked highly yet he only averaged 6.7 ppg despite playing 25 minutes a game. Hardly a highly impactful season. Again I said the teams were comparable not the exact same team.

You must put the bong down.

Derrick Williams as #23 is about 75 slots ahead of where Travis is. There isn't a coach in America who wouldn't pee his pants at your comparison of Williams and McKie (and I LOVE Travis).

We had NO ONE vaguely as good as Nic Wise.

We have a Top 15 recruiting class and it looks like we lead on two Top 50 players in the next class.

[Redacted]'s job from Day One was to let the program tank, set it on a good path , then have someone takeover.

I think this is probably true. Don't know how it will ultimately turn out, but this must have been what RW was thinking.

As a Zona fan I like comparing last year's WF team to Zona's 09-10 team. Both teams had a new coach and were mostly comprised of non 5-star underclassman. Arizona won 16 games that year, went 10-8 in Pac-10 play and got blown out only once during the whole season.. I understand Pac 10<ACC but still teams like GT,MIA and MD are at least comparable to Pac 10 teams. The main difference between these two teams was that Zona had Nic Wise. I know Wise is good but I don't think he's good enough to single handedly lead a team to 16 wins. Sean Miller more or less proved a new coach could be competitive with a team of mostly underclassman which is why I believe a better coach could have at least lead us to 10-12 wins or a way lower point differential.

Comparing [Redacted] to Sean Miller is pretty crazy IMHO. To me that is like comparing Ben Roethlisberger to Matt Moore. I wish we had a coach that was any where near the same stratosphere as Sean Miller.

Where did I say that? What I am saying is that the bar should not be making the tournament once or even making it multiple times. It should be actually doing something in the tournament. Here's my line: a Sweet 16 appearance.

All it says about me is that if I had been the athletic director I would not have hired him. I am still in the stands for damn near every home game and go to desperate measures to catch games on radio, game tracker, or television that I can't see in person. Once I have disposable income I'll dispose some of it on a Deacon Club membership as well.

Great. Now let's go get those players. [Redacted] has already proven me wrong about his recruiting ability.

Saying that doesn't make it true.

Not true. For whatever reason you really, really want to think the program was in terrible shape when [Redacted] was hired, but it simply isn't true. If things had gone as expected (WRT Woods, Chennault, Stewart, and Tabb) then we would have been a 15ish win team last year looking for a NCAA bid this year. When [Redacted] was hired it looked like we were in for a rebuilding year, not that we needed to hire a rebuilding coach (an Oliver Purnell if you will).

They aren't close to comparable, especially given the talent of both squads. Wise may not have been the best player, but he was a very solid player and a Senior at that. Horne was a Junior with a lot of experience. Not one player on last years Wake Forest team had anywhere near the same gifts or talent as Derrick Williams.

Last years wake team has two experienced players back, Ari Stewart and CJ Harris, both of whom were Sophs. Arizona is a bigger national Power in CBB, especially over the last decade or so than Wake is. I just see no way you can compare the two situations.

As I mentioned before, I think the world of Sean Miller. I personally think he is def a top 10 coach in the nation. I do not have an opinion on Bzdeliks coaching abilities with Wake YET. I thought it was a decent hire when I thought back to his Air Force teams, and the Nuggets when he was there and thought he could do a good job. Then last year happened and I had to step back. While some of the blame cannot be his fault, a lot of it is still his fault. I will hold off judgement until things are cleaned up a little. To me it is unacceptable to lose to any of those Low Major schools , especially at home. With where we stand this year (depth, talent, lack of size, coaching, inexperience) I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose a few. Doesn't mean I am not going to livid watching the game. I hope to see some improvement with this team. After reading the recap of the scrimmage, I am very concerned.

“There was a lot of immaturity on our team last year, and I think all you have to do is just read and see one thing after another,” [[Redacted]] said. “You have no chance to win under those kinds of conditions. But we’re in a different place. We made great strides from last year toward going where we want to go.”

link

I just have to wonder what the story will be next fall.

I just have to wonder what the story will be next fall.

"My mistake was going to Colorado and inheriting a team that won seven games, that had a team GPA of 2.004, a team that the attendance was only about 3,000 people per game with a bunch of players that were doing some crazy stuff...... all people care about is how many games did you win. Had I been hired coming out of Air Force, I guess there might have been a different perception.''

Just replace Colorado with Wake Forest, tinker with a few numbers, and you'll have his next media pitch.

If No Coach could do better than 8 wins last season then sign me up for No Coach.

"And, I never wanted to give [Redacted] a chance. Period. I am saying it now, and I'll say it then (and, even at this point it wouldn't shock me if we made the tournament in 2013, though I am not expecting it to happen).

TBR is at least honest in wanting our progran to fail so that he can beat hjis chest and be right for never giving a coach a chance.

"Furthermore, making the tournament will not make this hire a success. I expect to see the program elevated. That means winning in the tournament on a consistent basis. If that happens then I will proudly say that I was wrong."

No you won't. You'll come up with an excuse.

Per Wikipedia, No Coach had a superior winning percentage at Colorado. In fact, Bzzz ranks 15th of 18 head coaches in terms of winning percentage in that program's history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Buffaloes_men's_basketball

Coach Years Seasons Won Lost Pct. Conference Titles NCAA¹ NIT¹
No coach 1902-06 5 18 15 .545
Frank Castleman 1907-12 6 32 22 .592
John McFadden 1913-14 2 12 7 .583
James N. Ashmore 1915-17 3 16 10 .615
Melbourne C. Evans 1918 1 9 2 .818
Joe Mills 1919-24 6 30 24 .556
Howard Beresford 1925-33 9 76 51 .598
Henry Iba 1934 1 9 8 .529
Earl Clark 1935 1 3 9 .250
Forrest B. Cox 1936-50 13 147 89 .623 0 3 2
H.B. Lee 1951-56 6 63 74 .459 2 2 0
Russell "Sox" Walseth 1957-76 20 261 245 .516 3 3 0
Bill Blair 1977-81 5 67 69 .493 0 0 0
Tom Apke 1982-86 5 59 81 .421 0 0 0
Tom Miller 1986-90 4 35 79 .307 0 0 0
Joe Harrington 1990-96 6 67 76 .469 0 0 2
Ricardo Patton 1996-2006 11 184 160 .535 0 2 3
Jeff [Redacted] 2007-2010 3 36 58 .382 0 0 0
Tad Boyle 2010-pres 1 24 14 .649 0 0 1
Totals 107 1136 1095 .509

"My mistake was going to Colorado and inheriting a team that won seven games, that had a team GPA of 2.004, a team that the attendance was only about 3,000 people per game with a bunch of players that were doing some crazy stuff...... all people care about is how many games did you win. Had I been hired coming out of Air Force, I guess there might have been a different perception.''

Oh god I had never seen that quote before I didn't even think it was real

Oh god I had never seen that quote before I didn't even think it was real

"Oh it's real, it's damn real!"
thumbnail.aspx

Back