• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNCC Scrimmage?

There are some people who think we are going to be better this year, but I don't believe it. Anyone want to defend that position?

Yes, I will. We'll be better. Focus and effort will be more consistent and that will earn us some wins.

[Redacted] never deserved this job. Period.

There was more to this hire than meets the eye, must have been Wellman's relationship with Bzzz or something. I guess Wellman sees something there nobody else does, because otherwise an AD that has had as good a track record as Wellman wouldn't go out and hire a coach with such a pathetic record.

6 pages and counting after a blowout in a scrimmage. I can only imagine what this place is going to look like 10 games into the season.

This. All this angst about a scrimmage that nobody saw, that nobody knows what the format was, what the coaches were trying to work on or look at, what combinations they were throwing out there, whether all our players played and if so, how much. However, hearing second or third hand accounts that we didn't play well in a scrimmage does give an opportunity to once again open up the floodgates to trash a coach who has been here a whole year. We may be terrible this year, but I'd at least like to see it first. At least we now have all the anti-Buzz sentiments summed up in one thread after a pre-season scimmage so we can skip over all that in the regular season threads.

This should be a sign

No way any other BCS program would have touched him with two 10 ft polls with his record at Co. and we give him the keys to a team that had at least made the NCAA.

There was more to this hire than meets the eye, must have been Wellman's relationship with Bzzz or something. I guess Wellman sees something there nobody else does, because otherwise an AD that has had as good a track record as Wellman wouldn't go out and hire a coach with such a pathetic record.

Because of the situation we were in, we were turned down by at least one coach and maybe more.

The depth of our problems was greater than any thought. Very few toip coaches would put themselves into a position where they knew they would fail for a year or two. Up an coming coaches cannot afford 20+ loss seasons in this environment.

I realize use calm logic won't satisfy many, but reality is reality.

The reality is our 2012 class is better than any new coach in the ACC other than possibly MD's (but theirs is in jeopardy as the Euro guy guy may have NCAA issues).

Again, [Redacted] was likely chosen to right our ship and put in the hands of a younger coach when it has been stabilized.

If we get Gill and another stud in 13, he will have put us on the right track.

The question then becomes do we hire a Wake legend or go outside.

If McKie gets those numbers this year he might skip his last two years to go to the draft.

Can't imagine he is considered much of an NBA prospect at this point, unless he improves his outside shooting considerably during the season.

Every time Dino's last recruiting class is brought up, Dino's detractors say that it was only rated highly (12th, 5 players, 4 top 100) because of how many players were in it; Quantity over quality. If that was the case for the 2010 class, isn't the same true for [Redacted]'s 2012 class (12th, 6 players, 2 top 100)?

At least we now have all the Bz-in/Bz-out arguments summed up in one thread after a pre-season scimmage so we can skip over all that in the regular season threads.

With the one change above, I'm right with ya. There is nothing substantive that will be added to these arguments throughout the season, but they'll dominate every basketball thread.

Every time Dino's last recruiting class is brought up, Dino's detractors say that it was only rated highly (12th, 5 players, 4 top 100) because of how many players were in it; Quantity over quality. If that was the case for the 2010 class, isn't the same true for [Redacted]'s 2012 class (12th, 6 players, 2 top 100)?

There were character issues regarding a player or two in Dino's class and for multiple players who were returning.

There don't seem to be any for any of the 2012 class.

We may be terrible this year, but I'd at least like to see it first.
Yea, this is all sort of unfair. Bz is the kind of guy that is going to work on fundamentals in a game like that.

That said, I am a little disturbed by the lack of rebounding issue. His teams seem to suck are rebounding and we lack height on top of that. Now we have reports that we did not rebound well in this scrimmage. When is that going to be a point of emphasis?

I haev ignbored NOTHING.

Because I won't yet say [Redacted] is the worst coach of all time you ascribe that that I thiink he's good.

I've said HUNDREDS of times that we won't know much of anything about [Redacted]'s ability until after next season.

If we aren't good by then, I will be happy to join you.

You do realize that Buzz had coached basketball at college's before last season, right? It wasn't like it was his first job coaching at a school. We can also look at what he did previously to determine if he is a good coach or not, correct?

With the one change above, I'm right with ya. There is nothing substantive that will be added to these arguments throughout the season, but they'll dominate every basketball thread.

Oh no. We need to track this throughout the season, in order to determine where rock bottom is.

There were character issues regarding a player or two in Dino's class and for multiple players who were returning.

There don't seem to be any for any of the 2012 class.

Besides JTT having attitude, there were zero "character issues" a year before the players got to campus. It's simply a bullshit double standard. The same people who shit all over the 2010 class are the same people getting their panties wet over the 2012 class.

Oh no. We need to track this throughout the season, in order to determine where rock bottom is.

Scary to consider that we likely haven't hit it yet.

Does everyone remember how excited our fan base was in the few days after Gaudio was let go?

Scary to consider that we likely haven't hit it yet.

Does everyone remember how excited our fan base was in the few days after Gaudio was let go?

Yep. Firing the coach is like Christmas.

In '09/'10, two of my favorite teams hired Buzz and Chan Gailey. My initial reaction to each hire was the same. I even called the HOF about evicting Ralph.

I was wrong about Chan. I don't expect to be proven wrong about Buzz.

Besides JTT having attitude, there were zero "character issues" a year before the players got to campus. It's simply a bullshit double standard. The same people who shit all over the 2010 class are the same people getting their panties wet over the 2012 class.

There were many people who questioned Melvin's character and desire.

Ther's als oa HUGE difference between the expectations of the '10 class ands the '12 class. In the 2010 class, we were expecting them to be superstars. The 2012 is expected to be the foundation of a team.

I had a conversation with another poster when the news broke that Wellman turfed Coach Gaudio and we both were like "wow, the timing of this means we must be getting Brad Stevens." We thought we were entering a time in Wake basketball history unlike any other- with a hot coach who could walk into the living room of any top 25 basketball player in the country and be taken seriously, but with the in-game acumen to handle that talent once it stepped on the court.

Instead, we just decided to re-live the Staak years, minus the exciting stories about the Coach getting hammered and hitting on girls.

There were many people who questioned Melvin's character and desire.

Ther's als oa HUGE difference between the expectations of the '10 class ands the '12 class. In the 2010 class, we were expecting them to be superstars. The 2012 is expected to be the foundation of a team.

Who expected Carson and Melvin or TC to be superstars? That's crazy. I didn't know that [Redacted] walked into this terrible rebuilding job (where he wasn't expected to win...anything) with a class full of super-stars. You're ridiculous.

rj is just a parody of himself now. Good for a laugh and that's about it.

Back