• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

So one time when we visited Orlando, we went to Gatorland. Place is teeming with gators. Also did one of those fan boat rides. Really fucking loud. Saw more gators.

Also, a gator's brain is about the same size as a squirrel's.

I doubt that just because gators are so common, but still it's a fluke and I'm sure Disney does what it can to keep the gators out. They're mostly harmless if you don't piss them off.

Just ready a report saying the first at Disney in 37 years.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there's something like this guy on Disney property somewhere

Agreed, but the No Swimming would be and should be enough of a clue that a toddler should not be wading in the water. Most of the water that are not swimming pools in the park surroundings look like toxic dumps.

Not sure about that. Is one supposed to interpret 'no swimming' to mean 'no wading'? A no swimming sign, by itself, does nothing to inform the visitor why swimming is not allowed.

Just ready a report saying the first at Disney in 37 years.

It's hard to believe that's the first time anybody has been attacked by a gator in 37 years across 27,000 acres.

Not sure about that. Is one supposed to interpret 'no swimming' to mean 'no wading'? A no swimming sign, by itself, does nothing to inform the visitor why swimming is not allowed.

Agreed. No swimming seems like Disney doesn't want to liable for drowning and such. Not gator attacks.

It's hard to believe that's the first time anybody has been attacked by a gator in 37 years across 27,000 acres.

Agreed. No swimming seems like Disney doesn't want to liable for drowning and such. Not gator attacks.

how is a gator attack their fault, though? it's an animal in its natural habitat. i feel like unless they specifically say "you are safe from gators here!!!" there's not a lot that can be done, since it's just nature.
...but i'm a legal n00b and i'm sure people will sue and win and that's kind of dumb.

how is a gator attack their fault, though? it's an animal in its natural habitat. i feel like unless they specifically say "you are safe from gators here!!!" there's not a lot that can be done, since it's just nature.
...but i'm a legal n00b and i'm sure people will sue and win and that's kind of dumb.

if you've never been to Disney World and stayed in the primary resorts, it's hard to understand how in a bubble everything appears to be. they bear some responsibility for not keeping their guests safe, IMO.

There is. It says "Welcome to Florida"

It's not like they are on safari in South Africa and got mauled by a lion. They are at a resort with nighttime activities on the beach. There should have been signs. The family will get paid a shit ton.

Family will definitely get paid.

I was talking to somebody about this but growing up in Florida you learn pretty early on just how many things in that state can kill you.

if you've never been to Disney World and stayed in the primary resorts, it's hard to understand how in a bubble everything appears to be. they bear some responsibility for not keeping their guests safe, IMO.

oh, I have - and did a boat tour of the lagoons and heard all about the gators.
I also knew that if there's water in FL, you should just assume there's a gator.

It's not like they are on safari in South Africa and got mauled by a lion. They are at a resort with nighttime activities on the beach. There should have been signs. The family will get paid a shit ton.

More like a hotel resort in the African savannah. There's a ton of wildlife in central Florida.

I was earlier on the side of "expect gators in Florida," but this looks bad.

http://www.thewrap.com/gator-attack...-staffer-asked-for-fence-at-lagoon-exclusive/

The Walt Disney World Resort was aware of an ongoing problem of guests feeding alligators and had ignored staff requests to put protective fences in place, TheWrap has learned.
Numerous employees at the theme park expressed anxiety to management about guests feeding the animals within the past 14 months, an insider with knowledge of the resort told TheWrap.

I don't know much about what happened, but from the limited amount I think I know, I agree with this post. It's not like the family went off somewhere in the swamp. My understanding is that they were on a beach in an area where Disney was holding an activity. If Disney knows there are alligators there and has taken no measures to protect guests, then that is not a very good place to hold such events.

Anyway, Disney will most assuredly recognize this and settle quietly out of court for a lot of money.

I was earlier on the side of "expect gators in Florida," but this looks bad.

http://www.thewrap.com/gator-attack...-staffer-asked-for-fence-at-lagoon-exclusive/

The Walt Disney World Resort was aware of an ongoing problem of guests feeding alligators and had ignored staff requests to put protective fences in place, TheWrap has learned.
Numerous employees at the theme park expressed anxiety to management about guests feeding the animals within the past 14 months, an insider with knowledge of the resort told TheWrap.

Ouch. Sad that you have to explain to people not to feed wild animals.

Also, as a parent of a 2-year-old, this is totally horrifying to think about. Regardless of whatever money Disney pays them, basically their lives are ruined.

Somewhere along the line, I lost my desire to assign blame for every tragedy. Instead, I just feel really sad.

Yeah exactly. Sucks could probably happen to anyone given the wrong circumstances. Dumbasses more often but still

Back