• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Sort of. Really more like remarkable that they were all founded here. HT is now part of Kroger though, Food Lion has been controlled by foreign interets for decades, and Ingles and Lowes are pretty crappy operators on the whole.

yeah I wish we had more options other than Ingles around here. the one HT and Publix are not convenient at all to me. there were rumors Publix would be buying the old K-Mart property on Patton Ave but no, fucking Ingles did, which they'll use to replace their shitty Ingles just down the block. at least the one we shop at is one of the newer ones.

Mix and Match 6 pack for 10 bucks at Lowes is pretty on point, though.

I don't think I've ever been in a good Kroger. When I lived in Alpharetta for a few years out of school the Publixes (Publices?) blew them away, but I recognize that has probably changed.

Fresh Market is the GOAT of grocery stores if you take advantage of their sales - $5 sushi on Thurs (used to be Wed), $5 really good rotisserie chickens or $12 chicken meal deal w/ two big sides, $2.99/lb chuck and chicken Tuesdays, Fish Fridays (got fresh salmon for $5.99/lb last week), etc, etc, etc. Whole Foods (or better) quality with a lot better prices if you're a savvy shopper.

I don't think I've ever been in a good Kroger. When I lived in Alpharetta for a few years out of school the Publixes (Publices?) blew them away, but I recognize that has probably changed.

That's because most of the Krogers in Atlanta have been there for 40 years and you're comparing them to a brand new store in a brand new shopping center. But Kroger definitely let a lot of their stores deteriorate in that market, which is what left the market so wide open to Publix. Also A&P and Winn Dixie were exiting the market at the time. Harris Teeter was never successful in Atlanta because they didn't have enough stores and were suppplying the stores from too far away.

Publix, on the other hand built a distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA and is building one in Greensboro.

Last edited:
best all-around grocery store in Chicagoland -- Mariano's -- is owned by Roundy's, which is a subsidiary of Kroger

grocery business is cutthroat from what I understand

Fresh Market is the GOAT of grocery stores if you take advantage of their sales - $5 sushi on Thurs (used to be Wed), $5 really good rotisserie chickens or $12 chicken meal deal w/ two big sides, $2.99/lb chuck and chicken Tuesdays, Fish Fridays (got fresh salmon for $5.99/lb last week), etc, etc, etc. Whole Foods (or better) quality with a lot better prices if you're a savvy shopper.

there's another NC chain. knew I forgot one. we also had Earthfare but the stores all closed, though one independently just reopened here.

Asheville is about to get its 3rd Whole Foods, which is going in the old Earthfare space in South Asheville.

That's because most of the Krogers in Atlanta have been there for 40 years and you're comparing them to a brand new store in a brand new shopping center. But Kroger definitely let a lot of their stores deteriorate in that market, which is what left the market so wide open to Publix. Also A&P and Winn Dixie were exiting the market at the time. Harris Teeter was never successful in Atlanta because they didn't have enough stores and were suppplying the stores from too far away.

Publix, on the other hand built a distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA and is building one in Greensboro.

You know a lot about grocery stores.

White Christmas is not a Christmas movie. Sure, there's the titular song sung at the beginning and end, but that's it in terms of references to the holidays. And that song is leftover from a different movie anyway.

It's way less Christmasy than Die Hard, for example.

not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I do not like Dry-FIT-style moisture wicking shirts

exercise shirt rankings:

1. no shirt
2. cotton shirt
3. moisture wicking shirt

I've given up on Fresh Market. Once they were purchased by a PE firm I think that the things that made it once great were ruined. I've found that they are constantly out of various kinds of products (they were out of pork chops and chicken breasts one day) and I think that the quality of their meat took a pretty steep dive. At least that's my experience with the two that I went to most often until last year.

White Christmas is not a Christmas movie. Sure, there's the titular song sung at the beginning and end, but that's it in terms of references to the holidays. And that song is leftover from a different movie anyway.

It's way less Christmasy than Die Hard, for example.

weird take when White Christmas specifically uses Christmas as a plot mechanism

not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I do not like Dry-FIT-style moisture wicking shirts

exercise shirt rankings:

1. no shirt
2. cotton shirt
3. moisture wicking shirt

Wow. This is the right thread. How the hell do you run in cotton?

Back