• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Urban Meyer Credibility Watch (NWT)

This paragraph from his contract extension is going to be the kicker.

New paragraph 4.1 (e) of Meyer's extension reads:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

Several lawyers are going to bill a ton of hours arguing whether these allegations count under the contract.

football coaches, by and large, are pieces of shit

Who said he should have done that? It was a simple hypothetical. Again, your examples would likely be pretty clear cut crimes that would be persecuted by law enforcment, wouldn't they? This is far from clear cut at this time.

It's very clear cut. Meyer covered for a guy who has beaten up his wife at least twice while working for Meyer.

It's very clear cut. Meyer covered for a guy who has beaten up his wife at least twice while working for Meyer.

How in the hell do you know this to be fact? The police and DA obviously didn't feel they had enough evidence to move forward.

And if the allegations turn out to be true, don't they deserve even more blame than Meyer (he certainly would be deserving as well)? I think approving a restraining order or prosecuting Smith (with jail time as a potential outcome) would have been a lot more effective in stopping/preventing abuse than firing the guy from his job. Very interested to hear their side of the story.

One of three things will happen:

(1) Meyer will be suspended for 3 or 4 games to begin the season, OSU will go on to win its Big 10 division, then Kirk Hirbstreit will talk about the resolve of the OSU program to overcome the "adversity";

(2) Meyer will be canned and then the NCAA will arrange for Nick Saban to come to OSU with a 5 year moratorium on any NCAA enforcement;

(3) absolutely nothing happens.

How in the hell do you know this to be fact? The police and DA obviously didn't feel they had enough evidence to move forward.

And if the allegations turn out to be true, don't they deserve even more blame than Meyer (he certainly would be deserving as well)? I think approving a restraining order or prosecuting Smith (with jail time as a potential outcome) would have been a lot more effective in stopping/preventing abuse than firing the guy from his job. Very interested to hear their side of the story.

Smith's side of the story is she deserved it and it won't happen again.

If the wife refused to press charges or testify, the DA wouldn't go forward. That's a lame excuse.

(1) Meyer will be suspended for 3 or 4 games to begin the season, OSU will go on to win its Big 10 division, then Kirk Hirbstreit will talk about the resolve of the OSU program to overcome the "adversity";

(2) Meyer will be canned and then the NCAA will arrange for Nick Saban to come to OSU with a 5 year moratorium on any NCAA enforcement;

I’m betting against two.

There are NINE police reports about spousal violence in Ohio from 2012-15.

All of them lies tigerswood?

Maybe she finally got the courage because of the #metoo movement and that's what prompted her to speak. If so, then good for her. Thinking about all possible scenerios in a situation like this, where no legal action was taken, doesn't seem "sickening" to me. She has stated that she did not press charges in 2015 to protect her husband's job. Once he shamefully loses that job and there is no income stream in the forseeable future, then she goes public. Do we know if/how much she was paid by Stadium for the interview?

Jesus. You should peruse the Googles on the psychology of victim-shaming and why wildly erroneous hypotheticals like the ones you present are repugnant.

Change #2 to OSU hires the hottest coach not already at a top 5 program or Michigan and I agree.

I remember when Meyer was at Florida and wouldn't allow an o-lineman to transfer to Wake...So good enough for him...

Smith's side of the story is she deserved it and it won't happen again.

If the wife refused to press charges or testify, the DA wouldn't go forward. That's a lame excuse.

Umm, that's not his side of the story. Here it is from his lawyer. I'm certainly not saying I believe it over her, but there are definitely two sides.

"Zach Smith wants to be as transparent and honest as possible but it is not going to be done today through the media," Koffel told Murphy. "It will only be after he and his ex-wife are sworn in to testify. Once he gets his chance to tell his side of events, don’t be surprised when it is corroborated by every police who ever responded to Ms. Smith’s calls."

I'm pretty sure if there is reasonable evidence to support domestic violence, the DA is required to go forward, regardless of what the wife wants.

There are NINE police reports about spousal violence in Ohio from 2012-15.

All of them lies tigerswood?

I'm not saying they are lies. Why didn't the police do anything?

Seems to be a simple case. The responsibilities are clear. If he knew about the 2015 incident and didn't report it, that is a major violation and he is on his way out. I f he did report it to his boss(AD) or to the Title Nine Dep't back then, he will remain as head coach. Right now, the facts that have been reported so far seem to favor favor the first scenario.

Seems to be a simple case. The responsibilities are clear. If he knew about the 2015 incident and didn't report it, that is a major violation and he is on his way out. I f he did report it to his boss(AD) or to the Title Nine Dep't back then, he will remain as head coach. Right now, the facts that have been reported so far seem to favor favor the first scenario.

I don't think the Title IX responsibility is clear here at all, otherwise there'd be a clear opinion being reported. I've heard reporters say that it "could be an issue" and also have heard others, including the Dan Murphy who covers the B1G for ESPN, opine that it would not apply in this situation.

Tigerswood, what about the other NINE spousal assault police reports from 20012-15?

Back