• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

What do you go see?

i1tf4oD.png

I'd do Mitski, Whitney, Parquet Courts. Mitski killed it at Boston Calling, and Parquet Courts have put on really fun, energetic shows both times I've seen them.

Hopscotch was a blast. A lot of the crowds were smaller than I expected, too, but they were fun environments for the most part.

Here's what I saw:

Thursday:
Skylar Gudasz
Big Thief
John Saturley
Shane Parish
Mount Eerie
Ne-Hi
Sunflower Bean

Friday:
Run the Jewels
Future Islands
Acid Chaperone
Museum Mouth
Jock Gang
Hoops

Saturday:
Flock of Dimes
Sir the Baptist
Big Boi
Mineral Girls
Truth Club
Cory Hanson
Cende
Japanese Breakfast

Sunday:
No One Mind
Jenny Besetzt
Mount Moriah
Cass McCombs Band
Angel Olsen

Big Boi was a lot of fun, but because he only sings his verses it always left me wanting more.

Saturday was a really good time. Big Boi played 5 Outkast songs by my count, which I wasn't expecting. Mineral Girls and Truth Club were both awesome, could see them blowing up in a few years. Mineral Girls reminded me a lot of Tokyo Police Club, while Truth Club had sort of a Car Seat Headrest meets Speedy Ortiz vibe. Cende was really good, too. Obviously Japanese Breakfast was great.

Friday worked out weird, mostly because Deep South was so far behind the other venues. We caught the back-end of Jock Gang, who were sorta meh, and then Hoops (who I really like) took a full half hour dicking around with their sound check before a good, if shortened, set. Didn't have time after that to get to a 12a show, and all of the 1230a shows had long lines to get in, so we called it a night.

Thursday was p chill. Mount Eerie played a really long, v emotional set. Ne-Hi and Sunflower Bean were a blast. John Saturley (who we went to because Margo Price fucking sucks, and to get a good spot for Mount Eerie) gave me probably my favorite story of the festival. We didn't know what we were walking into there, and it was sorta in an opera house concert hall. Here's how I described it at the time:

So like the opener here were these two dudes who came out in gas masks, one of them was reading a Bible and the other one was fucking around with a synth or some shit. Bible dude stood up and spoke in Spanish for a half hour while the other dude churned out some drones

I caught some of the Spanish, but not all of it. Some of the highlights: after taking off his gas mask, he said "you're here, you're here, help me"

"they're all dead"

he chanted "it's not mine" for a while

oh, and "feel, feel the love"

he sat down and took his Bible out for a while, then swapped it out for a tablet

I think that was a metaphor for something

Got a sick RTJ shirt, a Japanese Breakfast shirt, and a Japanese Breakfast sweatshirt.

Favorite shows (MOUNT RUSHMORE???) were probably Sunflower Bean, RTJ, Japanese Breakfast, and Angel Olsen. Maybe Truth Club too, I dunno.

Last edited:
an act like Sir the Baptist would have really benefitted from a more normal size festival crowd

my sister loved the flipping dude

I thought the prices for tickets were pretty high this year. Fiance and I had it marked on our calendars, but decided to save the money and not go. The lineup was solid, agree that it was weird that they split headliners between two stages and had them going at the same time.

Price was the other factor I was thinking. They charge quite a bit for a lineup of not super well-known acts (I like indie music and feel reasonably plugged-in compared to the average person, but I have routinely only heard of maybe 20% of the acts they book). We spent like $140 for 2 tickets just to see the headliners on Friday (and then I couldn't even go 'cause of sickness :sadpanda).

Not sure if weather was also a factor this year, but obviously, although we had great weather that weekend, it was on people's minds. I dunno.

Yeah it was easily the most expensive festival I went to with the lowest profile acts of them all. I had a blast though. Whatever was sacrificed in atmosphere was made up for by ease of accessibility.

I only had interest in seeing a handful of acts at Hopscotch and their sets were spread out, therefore making the $260 price tag seem a little over-the-top. It would be cheaper just to see those acts independently.

I only had interest in seeing a handful of acts at Hopscotch and their sets were spread out, therefore making the $260 price tag seem a little over-the-top. It would be cheaper just to see those acts independently.
This is how I felt. The Thursday and Sunday lineups should have been condensed, and the tickets should have been cheaper

Yeah, I am really confused about the price complaints here. The fuck are y'all talking about?

Also, $260? They were $200.

Never mind that half the point of that lineup is discovering new shit. Complaining about most of the lineup being underground is missing the point entirely...

I ended up seeing somewhere between 25-30 acts. Was probably excited/interested in ~10 of them in advance, and legitimately enjoyed another 10 or so. Ambivalent/meh for the last 5-10. For less than $10/show? That seems like good value to me, but you all do you I guess.

Last edited:
Do you guys do these festivals sober? That’s what always gets me for cost. Before a regular show I go to a bar and drink then walk over. At all day festivals I have to spend a billion dollars on $10 beers and $20 mixed drinks to get to my happy place.

Do you guys do these festivals sober? That’s what always gets me for cost. Before a regular show I go to a bar and drink then walk over. At all day festivals I have to spend a billion dollars on $10 beers and $20 mixed drinks to get to my happy place.
Also less of a factor at Hopscotch than at other festivals... While Red Hat prices are a little stupid, City Plaza was more reasonable ($7 for a tall boy, which is in line with Boston bars anyway), and the other venues are mostly bars with solid prices.

Was definitely an issue for me at Bonnaroo, Lolla, and Boston Calling, though.

1c8c9f91ca9af6f09e1b276796fade00.jpg

=

8b81a0da0767ee046c0a8806c28431c1.png

Problem solved for $10

Yeah, I am really confused about the price complaints here. The fuck are y'all talking about?

Also, $260? They were $200.

It was $260 when I looked into a few weeks ago. Maybe they raised the prices.

And yes ACL is generally $275-300, but there are also way more acts I want to see. I'm all for discovering new music but I wouldn't want to go to an entire festival with the hope I liking 2 or 3 unknown acts. That's what SXSW and its free shows are for. RIP past cheap music access.

I just go ahead and budget $100 a day for food and booze. Also try to sneak in minis if possible.

Never mind that half the point of that lineup is discovering new shit. Complaining about most of the lineup being underground is missing the point entirely...

I ended up seeing somewhere between 25-30 acts. Was probably excited/interested in ~10 of them in advance, and legitimately enjoyed another 10 or so. Ambivalent/meh for the last 5-10. For less than $10/show? That seems like good value to me, but you all do you I guess.

That is you, and that's cool, but I'm sure you would agree you are a much more hardcore music fan than the average person. The question was why attendance at Hopscotch wasn't larger this year. A theory that has been posited is that it's a relatively expensive ticket for a festival with bands most people have never heard of. So, yeah, for you, a big music person, it's $200 well-spent to hear 25-30 acts (only ~10 of which you were excited about/interested in going in). For the average person, they may not be crazy about spending that much money to listen to maaaaaaybe a handful of bands they've ever heard of.

Hopscotch is right up front with the fact it's not trying to be Bonnaroo or Lolla, but rather is a festival for featuring a couple of headliners and mostly little-known acts. I'm totally fine with that and for Hopscotch being what it is, and despite this year's apparent down attendance, it seems like the festival is doing fine and will continue for the foreseeable future.

For me, It was $260 bucks + $100 for food, $50 for drinks, taking off work 2 days, $ for air b&b, and walking all day to multiple venues all for 4 or 5 shows I wanted to see.

Back