• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Big Fish Theory is still top 5 AOTY - shines with each relisten

Been a solid few days of music:

Friday night (@Red Rocks) - Anders Osborne and North Mississippi Allstars, the Magpie Salute, JJ Grey & Mofro

-Don't sleep on this show if you like rock and roll. All these bands are fucking killing it right now when it comes to blues and blue rock. I went primarily to see the Magpie Salue (basically the Black Crowes without Chris) and they were great. Anders and NMO-All Stars were awesome too. Luther and Anders riffed off each other so well. JJ Grey sounded smooth. He's touring with a horn section right now and they sounded great. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed their set.

Tonight (@Red Rocks) - Sturgill Simpson w/ Fantastic Negrito. All reports on Sturgill is that he's killing it with the stripped down band (no horns this tour, he's taken over lead guitar duties). Going to be a cold night in Morrison, but I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

Have an extra ticket for Jason Isbell and Frank Turner at Ovens in Charlotte this Friday Sept 29th. Row G in one of the side sections, looking for face value. Will knock $10 if you pick me up and drop me off at Hilton Garden Inn uptown.

Been a solid few days of music:

Friday night (@Red Rocks) - Anders Osborne and North Mississippi Allstars, the Magpie Salute, JJ Grey & Mofro

-Don't sleep on this show if you like rock and roll. All these bands are fucking killing it right now when it comes to blues and blue rock. I went primarily to see the Magpie Salue (basically the Black Crowes without Chris) and they were great. Anders and NMO-All Stars were awesome too. Luther and Anders riffed off each other so well. JJ Grey sounded smooth. He's touring with a horn section right now and they sounded great. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed their set.

Tonight (@Red Rocks) - Sturgill Simpson w/ Fantastic Negrito. All reports on Sturgill is that he's killing it with the stripped down band (no horns this tour, he's taken over lead guitar duties). Going to be a cold night in Morrison, but I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

Fantastic Negrito was ok - I didn't like the band as much in person as I thought I might.

Sturgill was really, really good. He can really shred the guitar and took multiple solo choruses on some songs almost to prove that he could play lead. The band was stripped down and it was awesome. The organ player is killer. It's a toss up for me between Sturgill and Tom Petty for which show I enjoyed most this summer. Red Rocks was both very lively and very stoned last night.

Not many people playing music like this anymore. Freddie was the man - love his Texas / Chicago hybrid sound.

Future Islands on Friday. An east coast Wake bud is coming in, so that makes it all the more exciting.

Anyone going to Shakori Hills on Saturday? Pretty great lineup of Wye Oak, Tuneyards and Sylvan Esso.

Say Hey, weren't you the one that knows someone that knows Jenn Wassner? I was pretty smitten when she opened for Sylvan Esso up Chicago way.

Yeah, my cousin and her are/were friends in Baltimore. Wasner moved to Durham last year. Doubt I get the opportunity at a bigger show like this, but I may try to keep the momentum going following my chat with Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning last week and meet her on Saturday ! Make Wife jealous !

Back