• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Tickets for Lollapalooza 2016 cost $335.
Tickets for Coachella 2016 cost $375.
Tickets for Sasquatch 2017 will cost $295.
Tickets for Gov. Ball 2016 cost $305.
Tickets for Hopscotch 2016 cost $199.

I'm sorry if they don't have a bunch of arena-sized artists for the casual music fan, but arguing for Hopscotch as "expensive" is a tough call when you compare their sale price to other 3/4 day festivals.

The length of a festival isnt as important as how many well known acts are playing. Hopscotch could have been 10 fucking days long, what does that matter?

To make a comparison, I took the face value of tickets from festival of similar lengths and juxtaposed them. I'm not making an argument that the length of a festival is better.

You all called Hopscotch "expensive," but they were all subjective arguments about the amount of bands you didn't know. That's not a great indicator of whether a festival is truthfully more expensive, right? I simply think it's a little more objective to compare them to other festivals of similar length - then we see Hopscotch isn't expensive, but at least comparatively priced.

To make a comparison, I took the face value of tickets from festival of similar lengths and juxtaposed them. I'm not making an argument that the length of a festival is better.

You all called Hopscotch "expensive," but they were all subjective arguments about the amount of bands you didn't know. That's not a great indicator of whether a festival is truthfully more expensive, right? I simply think it's a little more objective to compare them to other festivals of similar length - then we see Hopscotch isn't expensive, but at least comparatively priced.
Thats fair. I think the value of the festival would have been greater if the lineup talent had been condensed, rather than watered down

I do think it's worth understanding that Hopscotch's primary objective seems to be discovery, in a way that other festivals aren't. It's not "watered down" because you aren't familiar with the bands. That's the entire fucking point. If you listen to the bands or read through their guide book, I guarantee you'll enjoy more shows than you don't, and you'll find some dope (mostly local!) artists in the process.

I do agree with SHD's post, though. It can be good value (honestly, excellent value) for me while not being good value for somebody else. I just wish the complaints were more reasonable than "lol lineup sucked", "too expensive", or "too long". It's not trying to be NC's alternative to a tier 2 festival (like Gov Ball or Osheaga or something). It's something totally different. Condensing things to two days (thereby forcing out half of the acts) or getting better headliners is just missing the point. It's using its ~15 well known acts to draw people in, and leaving the rest to discovery.

Shit. If I had known it wasn't going to be that crowded, I would have made time to go. Fuck overcrowded festivals. Next year!

I do think it's worth understanding that Hopscotch's primary objective seems to be discovery, in a way that other festivals aren't. It's not "watered down" because you aren't familiar with the bands. That's the entire fucking point. If you listen to the bands or read through their guide book, I guarantee you'll enjoy more shows than you don't, and you'll find some dope (mostly local!) artists in the process.

I do agree with SHD's post, though. It can be good value (honestly, excellent value) for me while not being good value for somebody else. I just wish the complaints were more reasonable than "lol lineup sucked", "too expensive", or "too long". It's not trying to be NC's alternative to a tier 2 festival (like Gov Ball or Osheaga or something). It's something totally different. Condensing things to two days (thereby forcing out half of the acts) or getting better headliners is just missing the point. It's using its ~15 well known acts to draw people in, and leaving the rest to discovery.

Is it a stated goal of the festival to be about discovering new acts or are you just assuming that/using it as a justification for the lineup? Could it not just be who they can get on their budget? I'm sure they or any festival would love to be chock full of big acts that all come in under budget, but that's not the reality.

New album by the dude Rostam Batmanglij from Vampire Weekend is a fun listen.

Back