• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Damn, I might have to go to this:

Dear Jerry
Celebrating The Music of Jerry Garcia
May 14th, 2015 Merriweather Post Pavilion

FEATURING
Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann’s Billy & the Kids, Bob Weir, Bruce Hornsby, Buddy Miller, David Grisman, Eric Church, Greensky Bluegrass, Jimmy Cliff, Jorma Kaukonen, Los Lobos, Moe., O.A.R., Railroad Earth, The Disco Biscuits, Trampled By Turtles, Widespread Panic, Yonder Mountain String Band and Communion featuring Phil Lesh, Stu Allen, Grahame Lesh, Ross James, Alex Koford, and Jason Crosby.

Listened I this morning, and finishing up II now. Bonzo throwing it down:

Everything Steven Wilson does is amazing

Pretty much. Whether it's Porcupine Tree, his solo stuff, his side projects, or just mixing classic albums into 5:1, the dude has the Midas touch. Even his "meh" songs are better than 90% of the shit out there.

Pretty much. Whether it's Porcupine Tree, his solo stuff, his side projects, or just mixing classic albums into 5:1, the dude has the Midas touch. Even his "meh" songs are better than 90% of the shit out there.

Definitely check out some of the other bands on his record label. Pineapple Thief, Anathema, Gazpacho, Lunatic Soul, Nosound, Katatonia, etc along with Steven Wilson projects like Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and No-Man. I think 90% of the music I listen to is on that one label or related to one of the bands on that label (like Riverside, Opeth).

Any Winston folk on here planning on going to Phuzz Phest? Lineup can be found here: http://phuzzphest.com/

The only band I recognize on there is Foxygen... any others I need to be on the lookout for?

Definitely check out some of the other bands on his record label. Pineapple Thief, Anathema, Gazpacho, Lunatic Soul, Nosound, Katatonia, etc along with Steven Wilson projects like Porcupine Tree, Blackfield and No-Man. I think 90% of the music I listen to is on that one label or related to one of the bands on that label (like Riverside, Opeth).

I may have to do that. I knew about Blackfield. Not sure I knew about No-Man. Mostly what I like about him is he wears his prog influences shamelessly on his sleeve and isn't afraid to incorporate new elements. His records are always immaculately produced and designed for the 5:1 experience. It seems like he is carrying the entire 5:1 movement (if you can call it that) on his back, and he is making music designed for the immersive experience too. I have wanted this since the first surround DVDs came out in full force to the masses 20 years ago, yet SACDs and DVD-As never took off and Blu Ray music isn't really either. The hell if he doesn't keep trying though.

I have an Oppo player to play all those formats, and music is so much cooler when it surrounds you, even the stuff not really designed for it.

I'm not a big Dead fan or jam band fan or anything, but this lineup is so absurd that I think that I have to go

Before the Grateful Dead reunite for their three-night farewell stand in Chicago this July, its four surviving members — Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir and Phil Lesh — and a number of special guests will pay tribute to Jerry Garcia at a special gig at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland on May 14th.

Dubbed "Dear Jerry: Celebrating The Music of Jerry Garcia," the show will feature performances from Lesh's outfit Communion, Kreutzmann's Billy and the Kids, Bruce Hornsby, Eric Church, Buddy Miller, David Grisman, Greensky Bluegrass, Moe., Los Lobos, O.A.R., Railroad Earth, Widespread Panic, the Disco Biscuits, Yonder Mountain String Band, Trampled By Turtles, Jimmy Cliff, Jorma Kaukonen, Stu Allen, Grahame Lesh, Ross James, Alex Koford and Jason Crosby. Additional performers will be announced in the coming weeks.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...booked-for-jerry-garcia-tribute-show-20150305

Any Winston folk on here planning on going to Phuzz Phest? Lineup can be found here: http://phuzzphest.com/

The only band I recognize on there is Foxygen... any others I need to be on the lookout for?

I'm going to try my best to make at least one night of this fest. Phuzz has actually turned into a nice little music festival. Other acts you should check out are:

Ex Hex, Mac McCaughan(frontman for Superchunk), Trans Am, Hamilton Leithauser(from The Walkmen), Cymbals Eat Guitars, Protomartyr... Plus several locals acts will be playing that are really good.

I like Blackbird Blackbird and Natalie Prass too.

In terms of local acts: Caleb Caudle, Estrangers and 1970s Film Stock (88.5 WFDD talent and guitarist from old Jews & Catholics) are worth seeing.

Ah, Human Eyes, my ex's ex. He's a doucherocket. The TOW3RS guy used to go out with a friend of my ex's, too, he's a self-involved space head, though a nice(ish) guy. The main guy in the Dead Tongues, Ryan Gustafson, is the real deal, and Josh Moore who plays with him is a cool dude, but they are also friends with the aforementioned, which means you have to watch my ex's ex "playing" rhythm guitar -- they keep his volume WAY down, but it looks like he's really getting into it. One of the Lilac Shadows guys is a really good dude. Maybe I'll head up to this. I went to some last year because the ex of the TOW3RS guy was playing with her band and my ex wanted to go. That is a really convoluted post. Main point -- Human Eyes guy is douche and boring and derivative (opening up a can here). It will sound alright for a couple of songs and then you will realize there is just no heart in it and nothing fresh.

ETA -- the best part about doucherocket playing with Dead Tongues is he is either the third or fourth guitarist, you can't really hear him even for sound texture, and he spends the most time in between songs tuning and then acts like his part is important. I don't like that dude, as you might have guessed.

Last edited:
i should also bump DashPop: http://dashpop.com/ a festival some WFU kids are throwing at the end of March. 9th Wonder will be there, as well as (shameless plug for a friend) WFU hip-hop alum TwinnZeus.

The new Will Butler solo is on Spotify now. Pitchfork gave it a middle of the road review, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Back