• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

A coffee shop right next to a brewery will be perfect for my wife. Thanks.

A coffee shop right next to a brewery will be perfect for my wife. Thanks.

Even better -they're co-located. The coffee shop is in a stall behind the bar; there's a food stall in the building as well that was pretty good when I ate there this past summer.

Dang, no helmet, beginners trail, with an instructor, banged her head on hard-packed snow. She was fine initially but two hours later had a terrible headache. Died two days later of an epidural hematoma. Makes me realize how lucky so many of us are skiing for years without a helmet with a bunch of idiots in NC or on more difficult terrain out west.

Yep, as I kid/young adult I jumped off all sorts of rocks/small cliffs and went through the terrain park all with no helmet. Idiotic. Now I always wear a helmet and do none of those things. My dad still doesn't wear a helmet to this day.

Yep, as I kid/young adult I jumped off all sorts of rocks/small cliffs and went through the terrain park all with no helmet. Idiotic. Now I always wear a helmet and do none of those things. My dad still doesn't wear a helmet to this day.

son?

You're not old enough to be my dad, but I feel like we do have a lot of similarities.... and you should wear a helmet. I almost took a header into a tree last year (clipped ski on a stump/rock) but turned at the last minute to take it across the back - ended up with a gnarly NFL football size bruise for a week or so.

yeah, i probably should start. i like skiing moguls and trees and at 49, i'm probably due for a serious injury that I have thus far managed to escape.

If you're skiing at Sugar or Beech and not wearing a helmet, you're leaving the issue your safety to some idiot from Garner who has no idea what he's doing out there on ice.

This conversation made me nervous enough to add a helmet to my ski rental and now I'll probably just do bunnies at Crested Butte this weekend. Last thing I need is to break something or get a hematoma.

This conversation made me nervous enough to add a helmet to my ski rental and now I'll probably just do bunnies at Crested Butte this weekend. Last thing I need is to break something or get a hematoma.

Crested Butte has some epic terrain. Don't be a wuss (but glad you got a helmet). Also, make sure to hit up the ice bar at Uley's Cabin.

man i loved crested butte, but it was 1986 or so the last time i went.

Crested Butte has some epic terrain. Don't be a wuss (but glad you got a helmet). Also, make sure to hit up the ice bar at Uley's Cabin.

I will probably be a wuss, but the ice bar sounds like my speed. Thanks for the rec.

Crested Butte is epic but getting there sucks.

I wear a helmet about half the time I ski, depending on who I’m with and what we are doing. I probably should go to full time; always just one edge away from brain damage.

You’ll see more people in helmets than not these days. All ski schools require them. If I see someone without a helmet, I avoid them at all costs because my first thought it that they’re an idiot and likely a bad skier.

Solid weekend at Winter Park - there was some snow Thursday morning which freshened things up for Friday morning. Saturday was a nice day as well - blue bird conditions both days made it nice to get out. I think there was probably still pockets of powder to find, but I'm a beginner so I happily lapped groomers all weekend.

One of my favorite places to ski and a great little town. Few buddies took me out there about the minute I finished the bar exam. Very nostalgic for me. Need to get back there soon.

I never wore a helmet until my sister moved out to Jackson Hole and I realized basically 99% of the locals there wore helmets because it’s stupid not to. Also coincided with me working with people who’d had strokes/brain injuries, so that helped too.

If you're skiing at Sugar or Beech and not wearing a helmet, you're leaving the issue your safety to some idiot from Garner who has no idea what he's doing out there on ice.

Yeah exactly, therefore I wear a helmet. I’m a little better than beginner which means I’m a better skier than 75% of the drunk redneck skiers at beech or sugar. Not to mention the snowboarders lurching all over the place.

Just wear a helmet. We are all to old to think that wearing a hat rather than a helmet makes you look cool. I have seen some gnarly injuries, and I have seen people skiing perfectly fine on their own get wiped out by some idiot who didn't know what they were doing. Wearing a helmet gives you a significantly greater chance of coming out of it better off. Also at the end of the day, you can use it to carry your goggles and gloves.

Wear helmet and goggles in the airport ? Yes or No ?

Back